Topics

Online Backup Services

Chris Toomer <chris_toomer@...>

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an online pc backup service that work well with Jaws. Downloaded and bought Idrive last night and find that I can’t figure out how to get Jaws to work with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Glenn / Lenny

I use Open Drive.
It's 100 bucks a year for unlimited.
It has a secure folder that you will want to back up your critical stuff.
You will want to download their wizard and when you do that, you just sync folders on your computer and it keeps them backed up.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 8:11 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Online Backup Services

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an online pc backup service that work well with Jaws. Downloaded and bought Idrive last night and find that I can’t figure out how to get Jaws to work with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Larry Volk

I’m too cheap to pay for a backup service, I just purchased an external drive and back up all my files to that.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: July 7, 2019 7:20 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Online Backup Services

I use Open Drive.

You will want to download their wizard and when you do that, you just sync folders on your computer and it keeps them backed up.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Toomer <chris_toomer@...>

Cool, thanks. Thinking about getting my money back from Idrive. 😊

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2019 9:20 PM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

james f hooper

Is this the same as one drive?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 7:20 PM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

I'm with Larry. Online backup services are not inexpensive and require a speedy Internet service and still are not as fast as an external USB drive. I realize an external USB drive doesn't meet the offsite backup recommendation but it is a lot less expensive and much faster.

Alan Lemly 

On Jul 7, 2019, at 9:29 PM, Larry Volk <notseeman@...> wrote:

I’m too cheap to pay for a backup service, I just purchased an external drive and back up all my files to that.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Geno Stone

This is a Jaws thing too:

“My Computer Works,” out of Arizona Provides not only back up of everything on your Machine, they offer Assisting services and teaching classes, something new this year. There is that price, yet, in my 6 years with them I find them a valued service. The last time I heard they are along with working with businesses, me and 8 other blind persons and other sighted clients.. Just so you know if this is something you want in setting up with them in a contract, yearly, you will have three icons from them on your desk. All speak English.. Gene/Geno, Portland, ME.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of james f hooper
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2019 8:57 AM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

james f hooper

Do you hae contact info for them.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geno Stone
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 8:23 AM

“My Computer Works,” out of Arizona Provides not only back up of everything on your Machine, they offer Assisting services and teaching classes, something new this year. There is that price, yet, in my 6 years with them I find them a valued service. The last time I heard they are along with working with businesses, me and 8 other blind persons and other sighted clients.. Just so you know if this is something you want in setting up with them in a contract, yearly, you will have three icons from them on your desk. All speak English.. Gene/Geno, Portland, ME.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of james f hooper

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Geno Stone

My Computer Works Company

7975 North Hayden Road

C-320

Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Direct:

Fax: (480) 626-1897

Sales Support: 1-800-935-6704

Tech Support: 1-877-629-6972

www.mycomputerworks.com

Sent: Monday, July 8, 2019 10:35 AM

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geno Stone

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Glenn / Lenny

No, it is something different.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 7:56 AM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Glenn / Lenny

Also, it is not just for backing up.
You can use the public folder to place files and send links to people to download.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 7:56 AM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Glenn / Lenny

Well, drives fail.
I would not consider it one or the other.
Drives are a good source of storage, but there's nothing wrong with keeping the irreplaceable stuff on-line too, that is, along with backing up on a drive.
But if I could only do one or the other, on-line would be the way I'd go.
If we have an EMP or CME, it could wipe out all magnetic data, and I'm guessing on-line drives are magnetic.
The irreplaceable stuff would best stored on a disk of sorts, ie, CD DVD, bluray.

Glenn

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 8:42 AM

I'm with Larry. Online backup services are not inexpensive and require a speedy Internet service and still are not as fast as an external USB drive. I realize an external USB drive doesn't meet the offsite backup recommendation but it is a lot less expensive and much faster.

Alan Lemly 

On Jul 7, 2019, at 9:29 PM, Larry Volk <notseeman@...> wrote:

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Mr. Ed

Hi,

About how much does this service cost?

Mr. Ed

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Geno Stone
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 11:06 AM

My Computer Works Company

7975 North Hayden Road

C-320

Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Direct:

Fax: (480) 626-1897

Sales Support: 1-800-935-6704

Tech Support: 1-877-629-6972

www.mycomputerworks.com

Sent: Monday, July 8, 2019 10:35 AM

I use Open Drive.

Glenn

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chris

Gary Lee

I use backblaze for my mac. haven’t installed it on the pc yet, but if the mac is any clue, it works flawlessly.

$95 per year, with unlimited storage.
First backup takes a while, but after that only changes.
Restores are easy, you select what you want from a web page, and it emails you a link to a zip file.
downoad, extract, and away you go.

backblaze.com.

On Jul 7, 2019, at 9:11 PM, Chris Toomer via Groups.Io <chris_toomer=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chris