Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 6:07 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] jaws update, 40 minute mode?

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Glenn / Lenny

Miriam,
It will tell you that it is in 40 minute mode, so I think you are good.

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Hamit Campos

Hay that happened herre too. Now the install went fine. Re-boot and  everything. But it did the 40 minute mode thing too. How ever since my HP laptop seems to be updating a lot and I keep having to re-boot and update when it came back from that it was fine. No it is all good. Were it in 40 minute mode it would do the thing it did about oh no you're using JAWS in 40 minute mode it'll shut down on you in 6 minutes and so on til it does shut down.

On 8/6/2019 9:07 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:
Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Hamit Campos

Oddly mine didn't say nothing.

On 8/6/2019 9:12 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Miriam,
It will tell you that it is in 40 minute mode, so I think you are good.

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Miriam Vieni

I didn’t hear any dialogue about 40 minute mode at start up so I hope that means some goblin just got in my computer  in order to mess with my mind.

Miriam

If Jaws were in 40 minute mode you would have gotten a dialogue stating this when Jaws started.

Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 6:07 PM

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Glenn / Lenny

So you are saying it said something?

[...]

Na. It didn't say anything about in 40 minute mode. But than it did that JAWS will shut down in so many minutes thing.

On 8/6/2019 9:24 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
[...]

LOL dude,
I was just commenting on your grammar.

[...]

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi Miriam,
While in the Jaws application window, read the status line.
If your serial number is read,then you are not in 40-minute mode.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

I didn't hear any dialogue about 40 minute mode at start up so I hope that
means some goblin just got in my computer in order to mess with my mind.

Miriam

If Jaws were in 40 minute mode you would have gotten a dialogue stating this
when Jaws started.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that
somebody screwed up.

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

LeDon

Hi, I haven't updated yet. But the problem you asked about happened to me
some time ago. I called jaws for help and they fixed the problem in just a
couple of minutes.

Jaws informed me that there is an update and I dutifully followed the
directions. But instead of turning off and restarting when the update
usually does in the process, Jaws said to close any open programs, turn the
computer off, and then when the computer opened, Jaws would be in 40 minute
mode. I had no alternative and my sighted daughter didn't see one either so
I turned the computer off and have turned it on. I don't know if Jaws is in
40 minute mode or not. Would it tell me if it is? And why would it be when
all I did was allow it to install the update it offered me? Has this
happened to anyone else with this update? If it is in 40 minute mode, what
should I do?

Miriam

Holly

I also had this problem sometime back
when I updated JAWS,, but like LA Donne
, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away. Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Glenn / Lenny

Are these happening from the installer, or from going through the jaws menus to update?

, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away. Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Hamit Campos

I did it by that thing where JAWS tells you there's a new 1 and you can get it.

On 8/6/2019 10:56 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Are these happening from the installer, or from going through the jaws menus to update?

, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away.  Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Glenn / Lenny

That is what I'm wondering, if everyone who did it like you did has this problem, and nobody who downloaded Jaws and ran the installer has this problem, that will teach us something.

I did it by that thing where JAWS tells you there's a new 1 and you can get it.

On 8/6/2019 10:56 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Are these happening from the installer, or from going through the jaws menus to update?

, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away. Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Hamit Campos

Yeah that'll be interesting to see. On an old Dell laptop the NFB gifted me I've had that Oh by the way there's a new JAWS installer thing not work. On it I've had to download JAWS off the site and put it on. Mine fixed it self though after restarting the laptop though.

On 8/6/2019 11:25 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
That is what I'm wondering, if everyone who did it like you did has this problem, and nobody who downloaded Jaws and ran the installer has this problem, that will teach us something.

I did it by that thing where JAWS tells you there's a new 1 and you can get it.

On 8/6/2019 10:56 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Are these happening from the installer, or from going through the jaws menus to update?

, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away. Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Hamit Campos

Ah along with this randumly going to 40 minute mode thing it also did what JAWS 18 is now doing with Chrome. Where it doesn't stay still on pages. Again jus quickly to refresh. What happens is on youtube for example you get to the like button. But JAWS auto scroles back up to the top. Or even as you're down arrowing threw the comments. It does it as well. Or  on Dell if I'm reading the XPS page cause I so want the $1500 special 1 it does the same thing. In any case JAWS 2019 today's new version did that for a bit. As a side note and I have meantioned this to Erick, JAWS is a bit talky on youtube. Also when you do like a vid it says a bunch of stuff than added to liked videos. The other thing is that there's no way of knowing if you've liked a vid or not. Like with IE. There the button says unlike if you already have.

On 8/6/2019 11:31 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Yeah that'll be interesting to see. On an old Dell laptop the NFB gifted me I've had that Oh by the way there's a new JAWS installer thing not work. On it I've had to download JAWS off the site and put it on. Mine fixed it self though after restarting the laptop though.

On 8/6/2019 11:25 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
That is what I'm wondering, if everyone who did it like you did has this problem, and nobody who downloaded Jaws and ran the installer has this problem, that will teach us something.

I did it by that thing where JAWS tells you there's a new 1 and you can get it.

On 8/6/2019 10:56 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Are these happening from the installer, or from going through the jaws menus to update?

, I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away. Be sure to have
your jaws serial number when you call.

Louise Johnson

Hi all:

I used the download from the website and no problem with 40 minute mode.
Thought to share that with all thanks all for a great list Louise and
princess Kiara

I also had this problem sometime back when I updated JAWS,, but
like LA Donne , I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right
away. Be sure to have your jaws serial number when you call.

chris judge

I updated via jaws updates and had no such issue.

That is what I'm wondering, if everyone who did it like you did has this
problem, and nobody who downloaded Jaws and ran the installer has this
problem, that will teach us something.

I also had this problem sometime back when I updated JAWS,, but like
LA Donne , I called Freedom Scientific and they fixed it right away.
Be sure to have your jaws serial number when you call.

Melissa Stott

I did the update, and all went well.  Mine didn’t say anything about 40 minute mode.

Melissa