Topics

JAWS Shutdown Sound

Gerald Levy

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible, especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.?? But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Richard Turner

According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry to get the exit windows sound back.
Up to you if you want to do this, but this is the link to the article I found:
https://www.howtogeek.com/274010/how-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10/

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com
“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 3:09 AM
To: JAWS Users <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS Shutdown Sound

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible, especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.?? But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

No, no!?? There's no way I'm hacking the registry just to get a shutdown sound.?? This isn't rocket science.?? If Open Book can have a shutdown sound, there is no reason why JAWS can't, either.

Gerald

On 6/21/2019 8:13 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry to get the exit windows sound back.
https://www.howtogeek.com/274010/how-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10/

Richard

???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io

Gerald

Richard Turner

Perhaps contacting Freedom Scientific directly would be the next step?

Windows has fixed it so the only way to get a Windows shut down sound is to hack the registry. Or, perhaps contacting Microsoft would also be the next step if having a shut down sound is that important.

I have an SSD drive and hear nothing, but to make sure the computer has shut down, I just check that the external CD drive won't open.

If one doesn’t have a CD drive, then I can see where this gets annoying.

Good luck,
Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 5:26 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] JAWS Shutdown Sound

No, no!?? There's no way I'm hacking the registry just to get a shutdown sound.?? This isn't rocket science.?? If Open Book can have a shutdown sound, there is no reason why JAWS can't, either.

Gerald

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.
howtogeek.com%2F274010%2Fhow-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and
-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0709b7365b0a48
cacecd08d6f64394c4%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636967
167448236197&amp;sdata=qVh6qhRmQsOFvi9x9f9mGd0BBafsHdBj4qQGhgcXoiI%3D&
amp;reserved=0

Richard

Check out my web site at:
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.turner42.com&a
mp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0709b7365b0a48cacecd08d6f64394c4%7C84df9e7fe9f640
afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636967167448246208&amp;sdata=hd1LspEBgCGa
0gD43zjNJfbbh4Et1AIZpy9LVi%2B%2FS90%3D&amp;reserved=0
???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the
subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to
flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground
and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything,
p.59

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf
Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io

Gerald

David Ferrin

I thank you although it doesn't bother me that they are no longer there, the fact that I can put them back sounds like a challenge I would like to take.

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:13 AM

Richard

Gerald

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Take a look at this little program, Winaero Tweaker.  It can do many tweaks without adding anything to your computer.  It takes hidden settings that are there by default and either enables or disables them and explains exactly what the tweak does if you click on the provided link.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
No one has more to say than the woman who says she doesn't want to talk about it. 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:06 AM

I thank you although it doesn't bother me that they are no longer there, the
fact that I can put them back sounds like a challenge I would like to take.

According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry to
get the exit windows sound back.
Up to you if you want to do this, but this is the link to the article I
found:

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack
lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas
Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of
Gerald Levy via Groups.Io

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is no
shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in previous
versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for sure that your
computer has shut down completely is to listen for the internal cooling fan
to stop spinning, which is not always possible, especially with a laptop
whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.?? But the next best thing
would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound whenever you close it manually
or you shut down your computer.?? Is there any way to assign a shutdown
sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable screen reader has a shutdown
sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Richard Turner

So, you trust this person to change your registry for you.

Other than changing Windows 10  registry, I don’t know how this software would reveal hidden settings.

Richard

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:21 AM

Hi All,

Take a look at this little program, Winaero Tweaker.  It can do many tweaks without adding anything to your computer.  It takes hidden settings that are there by default and either enables or disables them and explains exactly what the tweak does if you click on the provided link.

No one has more to say than the woman who says she doesn't want to talk about it. 

found:

Richard

Gerald

Loy

I tried it and still no shut down sound.

To: <jaws-users-list@groups.io>

Richard

Gerald

David Ferrin

Once you enable it you have to assign what sound you wish to use. It seems to work so far for me.

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:11 AM

Richard

Gerald

David Ferrin

You are correct in that program does work. It has been a long time, but those how to geek articles always impress me quite a bit. So either way is fine. It is I forgot about that program.

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 9:21 AM

Hi All,

found:

Richard

Gerald

David Ferrin
Marriage is the process of finding out what kind of man your wife would have preferred.

Rick Justice

Hi Gerald,
You are making a comparison of the operating system versus an application.
Jaws and Openbook are both applications,and if neither are running at the
time Windows shuts
down, you would still not have any indication that Windows is doing so.
So, adding a shutdown sound to Jaws would not be a reliable indicator.
On my systems, when I execute a shutdown command , Jaws notifies me that
Windows is shutting down and I am about to be logged out.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

From: "Gerald Levy via Groups.Io" <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:25 AM

No, no!?? There's no way I'm hacking the registry just to get a shutdown
sound.?? This isn't rocket science.?? If Open Book can have a shutdown
sound, there is no reason why JAWS can't, either.

Gerald

According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry
to get the exit windows sound back.
found:

Richard

???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is
no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in
previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for
sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the
internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible,
especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.??
But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound
whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there
any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable
screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS
couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Glenn / Lenny

I wonder if a jaws script could be written for this.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:25 AM

Gerald

> According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry to get the exit windows sound back.
> Up to you if you want to do this, but this is the link to the article I found:
> https://www.howtogeek.com/274010/how-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10/
>
> Richard
>
>
> Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com
> ???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
> Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 3:09 AM
> To: JAWS Users <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
> Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS Shutdown Sound
>
>
> One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible, especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.?? But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS couldn't have one, also.
>
>
> Gerald
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Glenn / Lenny

When I shut down the computer with NVDA running, I hear the NVDA unload sound, and if I did not exit NVDA, that means the computer is shutting down.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:05 AM

Hi Gerald,
time Windows shuts

HTH,
Rick Justice

Gerald

> According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry
> to get the exit windows sound back.
> Up to you if you want to do this, but this is the link to the article I
> found:
> https://www.howtogeek.com/274010/how-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10/
>
> Richard
>
>
> ???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of
> flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack
> lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas
> Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59
>
> From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of
> Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
>
>
> One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is
> no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in
> previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for
> sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the
> internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible,
> especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.??
> But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound
> whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there
> any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable
> screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS
> couldn't have one, also.
>
>
> Gerald
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Dennis L

I tried as well and no go.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ferrin
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:54 AM

Once you enable it you have to assign what sound you wish to use. It seems to work so far for me.

According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry
to get the exit windows sound back.
found:

Richard

flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is
no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in
previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for
sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the
internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible,
especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.??
But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound
whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there
any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable
screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS
couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Exactly.?? So if a shutdown or unloading sound can be incorporated into this alternate screen reader, I see no technical reason why JAWS couldn't include one, also.

Gerald

On 6/21/2019 11:21 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
When I shut down the computer with NVDA running, I hear the NVDA unload sound, and if I did not exit NVDA, that means the computer is shutting down.
Glenn

Hi Gerald,
time Windows shuts

HTH,
Rick Justice

Gerald

> found:
>
> Richard
>
>
> flying.?? There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack
>
>
>
>
>
> Gerald
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Richard Turner

Two thoughts, those of you who did the registry fix, did you then assign a sound in your sound scheme?
Do you have fast startup checked? That may nullify the sound settings.
Those comparing other screen readers exit sounds with Jaws, as Rick I think it was, pointed out, Jaws says something about exiting since the screen reader is dumped before the system finishes shutting down.
I have had situations where something else was blocking shut down, so even if Jaws or anything else had a sound, it wouldn't have helped.
Hence my method of checking the CD drive, or if no CD drive, then plugging in a usb device might get a sound.
The bottom line here is that only Freedom Scientific can say if a shut down sound can be added via script, or anything else.
Just my opinion.
Later
Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On Jun 21, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

Exactly.?? So if a shutdown or unloading sound can be incorporated into this alternate screen reader, I see no technical reason why JAWS couldn't include one, also.

Gerald

On 6/21/2019 11:21 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Glenn

Hi Gerald,
time Windows shuts

HTH,
Rick Justice

Gerald

> found:
>
> Richard
>
>
> flying.?? There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack
>
>
>
>
>
> Gerald
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Richard,

Rather than speculating, have you tried going to the website and reading about how it works?

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:31 AM

Other than changing Windows 10  registry, I don’t know how this software would reveal hidden settings.

Richard

Hi All,

found:

Richard

Gerald

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gerald,

Another program that you could run is, Stascom.  It will tell you when the computer is starting and shutting down amongst many other features.  One of its features is Maximizing targeted windows.

Program features
list of 18 items
• Battery status on laptops is reported automatically while disconnected from charger,  while charging, or both. The notification intervals  are configured
in the Configuration Manager. As can be expected, this feature and associated  options  are hidden on desktop computers;
• Contact Manager, including  yearly customisable audio and text birthday reminders for listed contacts. Alert options are either audio and text, text
only, or disabled. If set to audio and text, the audio alert will be repeated after 15 minutes (by default), if a reminder is not acknowledged. The interval
can be changed to  half hourly, hourly, or disabled in Configuration Manager. This module is mainly for the benefit of users who do not have access to
a smartphone, or possibly those who prefer the flexibility and simplicity of the Stascom alternative. The current version does not feature importing contacts
from an external file source such as csv;
• Reminder Manager with audio and text alerts, with optional repetitions on a future date. Audio alert sound can be changed if desired. The same customisable
options as with birthday reminders, are available. See above;
• Calculate day of the week for any date between 1 January 1601 and 31 December 9999;
• Maximises application windows automatically. Window title exceptions can be specified ;
• Prevents mute status on default sound card automatically. Recovery volume is configurable;
• Low volume correction on default sound card (disabled by default). Minimum and normalise levels are configurable;
• Two schedules and output percentage for automatic volume adjustment can be specified (disabled by default);
• Password Generator, creating a unique, very strong 10 character password with each keystroke. Generated password can be copied to clipboard optionally;

• Time announcements on the hour,  half hour and  quarter hour. Individual hours can be specified, or disabled altogether.  Custom audio chimes are optional
if preferred over the included sound clips;
• Accented and other special characters  can be easily inserted with hot keys;
• Alphabetical list of 51 Windows applications and settings quickly accesseible with a hot key;
• master volume level increased / decreased   by 5% with hot keys, ascending / descending tones to indicate the volume adjustment;
• Word count for selected text in commonly used editors and browsers, with an option to place the result on the Windows clipboard. This feature is not
supported in some editors and e-mail clients with non-standard cursors. The results are more accurate than in most similar packages, as it ignores all
punctuation and special characters;
• Program configuration can be reset to installation defaults;
• Report generator, providing a summary of program settings and system information in HTML format for easy navigation;
• Choice of three sets of modifier keys to use with Stascom hotkeys. A bypass key suspends Stascom hotkeys for five seconds. Should the user wish to disable
the home row 1 to 0 hotkeys altogether, this can be done under the general category in Configuration Manager. If these keys are disabled, all options can
still be accessed through the program dashboard, activated with modifier+backslash.

list end

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:57 AM

Hi Richard,

Rather than speculating, have you tried going to the website and reading about how it works?

Richard

Hi All,

found:

Richard

Gerald

Glenn / Lenny

Good call Mike, I didn't even think of that.
But since I had to rebuild my system, I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Stascom.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:23 AM

Hi Gerald,

Another program that you could run is, Stascom.  It will tell you when the computer is starting and shutting down amongst many other features.  One of its features is Maximizing targeted windows.

Program features
list of 18 items
• Battery status on laptops is reported automatically while disconnected from charger,  while charging, or both. The notification intervals  are configured
in the Configuration Manager. As can be expected, this feature and associated  options  are hidden on desktop computers;
• Contact Manager, including  yearly customisable audio and text birthday reminders for listed contacts. Alert options are either audio and text, text
only, or disabled. If set to audio and text, the audio alert will be repeated after 15 minutes (by default), if a reminder is not acknowledged. The interval
can be changed to  half hourly, hourly, or disabled in Configuration Manager. This module is mainly for the benefit of users who do not have access to
a smartphone, or possibly those who prefer the flexibility and simplicity of the Stascom alternative. The current version does not feature importing contacts
from an external file source such as csv;
• Reminder Manager with audio and text alerts, with optional repetitions on a future date. Audio alert sound can be changed if desired. The same customisable
options as with birthday reminders, are available. See above;
• Calculate day of the week for any date between 1 January 1601 and 31 December 9999;
• Maximises application windows automatically. Window title exceptions can be specified ;
• Prevents mute status on default sound card automatically. Recovery volume is configurable;
• Low volume correction on default sound card (disabled by default). Minimum and normalise levels are configurable;
• Two schedules and output percentage for automatic volume adjustment can be specified (disabled by default);
• Password Generator, creating a unique, very strong 10 character password with each keystroke. Generated password can be copied to clipboard optionally;

• Time announcements on the hour,  half hour and  quarter hour. Individual hours can be specified, or disabled altogether.  Custom audio chimes are optional
if preferred over the included sound clips;
• Accented and other special characters  can be easily inserted with hot keys;
• Alphabetical list of 51 Windows applications and settings quickly accesseible with a hot key;
• master volume level increased / decreased   by 5% with hot keys, ascending / descending tones to indicate the volume adjustment;
• Word count for selected text in commonly used editors and browsers, with an option to place the result on the Windows clipboard. This feature is not
supported in some editors and e-mail clients with non-standard cursors. The results are more accurate than in most similar packages, as it ignores all
punctuation and special characters;
• Program configuration can be reset to installation defaults;
• Report generator, providing a summary of program settings and system information in HTML format for easy navigation;
• Choice of three sets of modifier keys to use with Stascom hotkeys. A bypass key suspends Stascom hotkeys for five seconds. Should the user wish to disable
the home row 1 to 0 hotkeys altogether, this can be done under the general category in Configuration Manager. If these keys are disabled, all options can
still be accessed through the program dashboard, activated with modifier+backslash.

list end

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:57 AM

Hi Richard,

Richard

Hi All,

found:

Richard

Gerald

Steve

Did you do it manually or use their hacks program; and, did you execute all three of the events by changing the value to zero?

Steve

Richard

Gerald