From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 3:09 AM
To: JAWS Users <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS Shutdown Sound

One of the most annoying things about running Windows 10 is that there is no shutdown sound to indicate that your computer has shut down like in previous versions of Windows.?? The only reliable way to determine for sure that your computer has shut down completely is to listen for the internal cooling fan to stop spinning, which is not always possible, especially with a laptop whose internal fan may emit little or no noise.?? But the next best thing would be to have JAWS issue a shutdown sound whenever you close it manually or you shut down your computer.?? Is there any way to assign a shutdown sound to JAWS??? That other unmentionable screen reader has a shutdown sound, so I don't see any reason why JAWS couldn't have one, also.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

No, no!?? There's no way I'm hacking the registry just to get a shutdown sound.?? This isn't rocket science.?? If Open Book can have a shutdown sound, there is no reason why JAWS can't, either.

Gerald

On 6/21/2019 8:13 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
According to this How To Geek article, you have to now edit the registry to get the exit windows sound back.
Up to you if you want to do this, but this is the link to the article I found:
https://www.howtogeek.com/274010/how-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10/

Richard

???The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

From: Richard Turner
Program features
list of 18 items
• Battery status on laptops is reported automatically while disconnected from charger,  while charging, or both. The notification intervals  are configured
in the Configuration Manager. As can be expected, this feature and associated  options  are hidden on desktop computers;
• Contact Manager, including  yearly customisable audio and text birthday reminders for listed contacts. Alert options are either audio and text, text
only, or disabled. If set to audio and text, the audio alert will be repeated after 15 minutes (by default), if a reminder is not acknowledged. The interval
can be changed to  half hourly, hourly, or disabled in Configuration Manager. This module is mainly for the benefit of users who do not have access to
a smartphone, or possibly those who prefer the flexibility and simplicity of the Stascom alternative. The current version does not feature importing contacts
from an external file source such as csv;
• Reminder Manager with audio and text alerts, with optional repetitions on a future date. Audio alert sound can be changed if desired. The same customisable
options as with birthday reminders, are available. See above;
• Calculate day of the week for any date between 1 January 1601 and 31 December 9999;
• Maximises application windows automatically. Window title exceptions can be specified ;
• Prevents mute status on default sound card automatically. Recovery volume is configurable;
• Low volume correction on default sound card (disabled by default). Minimum and normalise levels are configurable;
• Two schedules and output percentage for automatic volume adjustment can be specified (disabled by default);
• Password Generator, creating a unique, very strong 10 character password with each keystroke. Generated password can be copied to clipboard optionally;

• Time announcements on the hour,  half hour and  quarter hour. Individual hours can be specified, or disabled altogether.  Custom audio chimes are optional
if preferred over the included sound clips;
• Accented and other special characters  can be easily inserted with hot keys;
• Alphabetical list of 51 Windows applications and settings quickly accesseible with a hot key;
• master volume level increased / decreased   by 5% with hot keys, ascending / descending tones to indicate the volume adjustment;
• Word count for selected text in commonly used editors and browsers, with an option to place the result on the Windows clipboard. This feature is not
supported in some editors and e-mail clients with non-standard cursors. The results are more accurate than in most similar packages, as it ignores all
punctuation and special characters;
• Program configuration can be reset to installation defaults;
• Report generator, providing a summary of program settings and system information in HTML format for easy navigation;
• Choice of three sets of modifier keys to use with Stascom hotkeys. A bypass key suspends Stascom hotkeys for five seconds. Should the user wish to disable
the home row 1 to 0 hotkeys altogether, this can be done under the general category in Configuration Manager. If these keys are disabled, all options can
still be accessed through the program dashboard, activated with modifier+backslash.

list end

Rather than speculating, have you tried going to the website and reading about how it works?

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:31 AM

[...]

Good call Mike, I didn't even think of that.
But since I had to rebuild my system, I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Stascom.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:31 AM

[...]

Steve

Did you do it manually or use their hacks program; and, did you execute all three of the events by changing the value to zero?

Steve