Topics

Jaws, pdf and ocr

JERRY MARTIN

Afternoon all.

Using jaws 2018, windows 10 and a Dell laptop, I was trying to open a pdf document with Adobe Dc software. It would no be read with jaws, so I used the OCR software. I used the steps provided by a previous post (insert spacebar, O for Ocr, and D). I got a message that ocr failed to start. Has anyone ever come across this problem, and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Rebecca Lineberger

I posted this quite a while ago.  Since then, the problem has been resolved, but since you’re using an earlier version of JAWS, you might look at the previous fix.  I can’t remember if it was Adobe or Vispero that solved the issue.

Open Adobe, either from the icon on your desktop, or from the start menu.

Press control-k.

Press s till you hear

Security enhanced.

There is a checkbox that says,

Enable protected mode at startup.  If it’s checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck it.

If you get a warning message, that’s okay.  You need to change this to make it work.

Tab to OK.

Tab to OK again.

Now it works as it should.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:37 PM
To: jaws-users-list
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws, pdf and ocr

Afternoon all.

Using jaws 2018, windows 10 and a Dell laptop, I was trying to open a pdf document with Adobe Dc software. It would no be read with jaws, so I used the OCR software. I used the steps provided by a previous post (insert spacebar, O for Ocr, and D). I got a message that ocr failed to start. Has anyone ever come across this problem, and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

JERRY MARTIN

Rebecca:
Thanks. That did the trick. Talk later.

Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:43 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws, pdf and ocr

I posted this quite a while ago.  Since then, the problem has been resolved, but since you’re using an earlier version of JAWS, you might look at the previous fix.  I can’t remember if it was Adobe or Vispero that solved the issue.

Open Adobe, either from the icon on your desktop, or from the start menu.

Press control-k.

Press s till you hear

Security enhanced.

There is a checkbox that says,

Enable protected mode at startup.  If it’s checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck it.

If you get a warning message, that’s okay.  You need to change this to make it work.

Tab to OK.

Tab to OK again.

Now it works as it should.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:37 PM
To: jaws-users-list
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws, pdf and ocr

Afternoon all.

Jerry