Topics

Jaws, pdf and ocr

JERRY MARTIN

Afternoon all.

Using jaws 2018, windows 10 and a Dell laptop, I was trying to open a pdf document with Adobe Dc software. It would no be read with jaws, so I used the OCR software. I used the steps provided by a previous post (insert spacebar, O for Ocr, and D). I got a message that ocr failed to start. Has anyone ever come across this problem, and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Rebecca Lineberger

I posted this quite a while ago.  Since then, the problem has been resolved, but since you’re using an earlier version of JAWS, you might look at the previous fix.  I can’t remember if it was Adobe or Vispero that solved the issue.

Open Adobe, either from the icon on your desktop, or from the start menu.

Press control-k.

Press s till you hear

Security enhanced.

There is a checkbox that says,

Enable protected mode at startup.  If it’s checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck it.

If you get a warning message, that’s okay.  You need to change this to make it work.

Tab to OK.

Tab to OK again.

Now it works as it should.

Using jaws 2018, windows 10 and a Dell laptop, I was trying to open a pdf document with Adobe Dc software. It would no be read with jaws, so I used the OCR software. I used the steps provided by a previous post (insert spacebar, O for Ocr, and D). I got a message that ocr failed to start. Has anyone ever come across this problem, and what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

JERRY MARTIN

Rebecca:
Thanks. That did the trick. Talk later.