Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws friendly laptop

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Hamit Campos

Well the layout of the keys can differ. As for the keypad thing. Only once and that's on my Dell Enspiron 3840 desktop have I run into the issue of not being able to use the num pad as is for JAWS. It doesn't even have the on and off key. But than again it is a business config.

On 8/5/2019 11:30 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
John,
I really don't think any of the variables you are considering will be of concern.
Jaws will work on pretty much computer running Windows.
The thing for you to be concerned about is the form factor of the computer and if you are comfortable with it.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Judy Jones

I’m a Toshiba fan, so would probably stick with that one just because.  I’ave had one since 2007.

Judy

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Hamit Campos

I hade a Toshiba with Vista Ultimate. I loved it. I loved Vista. It was cool.

On 8/5/2019 11:40 AM, Judy Jones wrote:

I’m a Toshiba fan, so would probably stick with that one just because.  I’ave had one since 2007.

Judy

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

John,
That is what I meant by form factor.
Jaws will work fine on all computers, but there are factors such as the F-keys requiring the FN key to do some of the tasks that we typically do, and I think that on the laptops where this has happened, usually that feature can be turned off in the BIOS, but perhaps someone can let you know if they haven't been able to turn that off.
I think it is important to put my hands on a laptop before buying it.
For example, my wife has an Acer where all the keys touch and there is no easily discernable distinction between all the keys, just lines where the level keys touch.
Even with dots on it, I hate it.
But we ordered it from Best Buy a long time back and I had my brother pick it up and I met him in another town when we could do so, and I would have never picked this laptop for my use, but that is what happens when you buy one ""feel untouched" you might say.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

chris judge

Also, especially if you are considering HP, make sure you can change the behaviour of the function keys, as HP sets them to act as hardware function keys. Most of them have an option in the bios to switch this, but some do not.

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Glenn / Lenny

John,
I should add that I am not knocking Acer laptops.
I have another Acer laptop here with Windows 7 and I love the layout.
I think Acer makes a great laptop.
I like Dell's laptops, but I think that their desktop computers are crap in my opinion.
Dell hasn't done well with good driver support for its hardware in desktop computers, and I don't think they have the best components.
But their laptops seem quite good, as far as quality.
But all manufacturers make different models and they are always changing, and if someone is looking for a new computer, it is pretty hard to ask for opinions on brands and models, as most people with a computer that can tell you about it, are using one a year or more old, and this won't help you in your search, since they are changing all the time.
So if you do order one "feel untouched", ask about the separation of the keys, and what the F-keys do by default, and if it is not what you want, if that behavior can be changed in the BIOS.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to get on-line and read some reviews of computers and based on that, call the store or the manufacturer and ask them about the form factor.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

chris judge

The solid state drives are wonderful. My new dell desktop has one, as does my slightly older Dell laptop. I’d never purchase another computer without one.

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

netbat66

one thing to watch out for with some computers is you can not turn off the number pad because they do not have a number lock key. which most screen readers need before they can use the keys for there mouse functions.

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card. That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Judy Jones

My first laptop didn’t have a num pad, which in retrospect was probably a good thing, because it mae me learn the alternative Jaws commands.  I found that I really liked that setup better than the traditional keyboard.

Once I went back to the keyboards with num pads, I still kept the laptop layout since I liked it so much.

Judy

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

I like that the solid state drives are faster and more reliable, but I don't like that you can't hear them booting up.
Often you are wondering what the computer is doing, if it is booting up, and you can't tell non-visually with solid state drives.
But again, this is a factor that has no bearing on Jaws.
I do care about the audio on some laptops, some laptops, sold as business models, at least in the past, have had terrible sound.
But now that we use laptops in the business world for things like Power Point and the like, perhaps poor quality audio is becoming more of a rarity in laptops.
This is something you might find out about by reading reviews on models on-line, before you decide.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:01 AM

The solid state drives are wonderful. My new dell desktop has one, as does my slightly older Dell laptop. I’d never purchase another computer without one.

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Judy Jones

My husband remembers the day I couldn’t stand Vista when it first came out, but I only remember really liking it over all.  I had Windows 7 at work.  I really never liked Windows 8, but 10 is much better.

Judy

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Good point.
Which reminds me, I would also look for the ability to turn off the monitor, not all laptops do that.

Glenn

[...]

Gerald Levy

Yeah, this is an issue that makes me leery about buying a computer with an SSD.?? Because an SSD emits no noise like a mechanical hard drive, it would be almost impossible to tell for sure that your Windows 10 PC has shut down successfully because there is no shutdown sound like in Windows 7.?? Sometimes, you might hear "JAWS for Windows" when the shutdown has initiated, but there is no reliable way to tell whether it has powered off unless it has a DVD drive on which you can simply press the eject button to tell whether it is off.?? Also, I have read that although a solid state drive may be more reliable as a mechanical hard drive, it may not last as long because its memory cells tend to wear out over time and eventually become unusable with repeated write cycles.?? Is this true?

Gerald

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:01 AM

The solid state drives are wonderful. My new dell desktop has one, as does my slightly older Dell laptop. I???d never purchase another computer without one.

??

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.?? That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Gerald,
I think that the write cycles depend on how the computer is used.
I almost never reboot my computers, they run 24/7 and this would be better for an SSD, because the Swap file is not rewritten over and over as it is every time you do a complete shut down and start up.
I think leaving the computer running is better for mechanical hard drives too.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:01 AM

[...]

Yeah the write thing only matters if you write lots of stuff to the drive. So most gamer laptops at least only use the SSD as a boot drive. Desktops like the special XPS's from Dell do this as well. This maybe a problem with the real cheep 300 and $200 laptops that only have that SSD.

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:01 AM

The solid state drives are wonderful. My new dell desktop has one, as does my slightly older Dell laptop. I???d never purchase another computer without one.

??

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.?? That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi Gerald.

this is an issue that makes me leery about buying a computer with
an SSD.?? Because an SSD emits no noise like a mechanical hard drive, it
would be almost impossible to tell for sure that your Windows 10 PC has
shut down successfully because there is no shutdown sound like in
Windows 7. Sometimes, you might hear "JAWS for Windows" when the
shutdown has initiated, but there is no reliable way to tell whether it
has powered off unless it has a DVD drive on which you can simply press
the eject button to tell whether it is off.
Your computer is shutting down when speech disappears. You can also pay attention to the sound of its fan. When the fan stops blowing, your system has shut down entirely.

Also, I have read that although a solid state drive may be more
reliable as a mechanical hard
drive, it may not last as long because its memory cells tend to wear out
over time and eventually become unusable with repeated write cycles.?? Is
this true?
I've never heard this.. Both my solid state drives have lasted three years so far.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@...

Hamit Campos

I have heard this. But keep in mind it's geeks that say this. Geeks that do rediculious tests that may not reflect the true punishment avrage Joe will give or in this case won't give the PC. Gamers are these people. Gamers do punish their PCs.

On 8/5/2019 1:56 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Gerald.

[...]

I have heard both pros and cons about leaving a computer on all the time.?? As you say, it is probably less stressful on a hard drive to leave a computer on all the time.?? On the other hand, leving it on all the time generates heat, which could shorten the life of other components like the mother board or processor. And of course, leaving a computer on all the time will increase your electric bill, which in my case is already ridiculously high, like over $200 a month in the summer when I'm running my air conditioners. So I prefer to turn off my computer at night when I'm not using it.

Gerald

??

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 11:01 AM