Topics

JAWS becomes irregular with pending Windows 10 update

George Martinez Sr

Windows 10 Creators, 1809 (OS Build 17763.615)
JAWS 2019.1907

This morning I was entering a report at a website when JAWS would not open an Edit field no matter what I did.
I minimized my work & moved back into my computer where JAWS was not announcing Icons on my Desktop and when I moved to the Task Bar & Tabbed it would not announce the icons there either.
When I finally managed to activate INS + F4 I noticed the selections were preceeded by "Update" then Shutdown or Reboot.
This has happened to me at least 2 times before when a Windows update comes in and is painful and a time waster to say the least.
Any ideas what Windows 10 is doing to me and a possible fix I can do so that a pending update does not make my JAWS go wonky>?

George

Mike Bernard

Hello George,

I’ve had the same type of issue from time to time. It’ actually will happen with any version of windows or screen reader. Unfortunately, there’s no real way to stop this. All you can really do is save any open documents, do the reboot, and once you’re all logged back in, reopen everything and go on from there.

Mike

Windows 10 Creators, 1809 (OS Build 17763.615)
JAWS 2019.1907

This morning I was entering a report at a website when JAWS would not open an Edit field no matter what I did.
I minimized my work & moved back into my computer where JAWS was not announcing Icons on my Desktop and when I moved to the Task Bar & Tabbed it would not announce the icons there either.
When I finally managed to activate INS + F4 I noticed the selections were preceeded by "Update" then Shutdown or Reboot.
This has happened to me at least 2 times before when a Windows update comes in and is painful and a time waster to say the least.
Any ideas what Windows 10 is doing to me and a possible fix I can do so that a pending update does not make my JAWS go wonky>?

George

Hamit Campos

Hmmmmm sounds like something on the list of things FS should fix. I've not seen this. How ever what I have seen is that now sometimes for what ever reason Windows blocks the shut down because it wants me to save my work. lol Like it can't tell JAWS is a screan reader and there's no need to save nothing nor shut JAWS down.

On 8/14/2019 2:39 PM, George Martinez Sr wrote:
Windows 10 Creators, 1809 (OS Build 17763.615)
JAWS 2019.1907

This morning I was entering a report at a website when JAWS would not open an Edit field no matter what I did.
I minimized my work & moved back into my computer where JAWS was not announcing Icons on my Desktop and when I moved to the Task Bar & Tabbed it would not announce the icons there either.
When I finally managed to activate INS + F4 I noticed the selections were preceeded by "Update" then Shutdown or Reboot.
This has happened to me at least 2 times before when a Windows update comes in and is painful and a time waster to say the least.
Any ideas what Windows 10 is doing to me and a possible fix I can do so that a pending update does not make my JAWS go wonky>?

George

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi george,

Try going into Windows Updates and Security and under the Updates tab go to the, Change active hours, or the, Advanced options.  Between these 2 you should be able to get the updates to come down when you're not using the computer.

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:39 AM

Windows 10 Creators, 1809 (OS Build 17763.615)
JAWS 2019.1907

This morning I was entering a report at a website when JAWS would not open an Edit field no matter what I did.
I minimized my work & moved back into my computer where JAWS was not announcing Icons on my Desktop and when I moved to the Task Bar & Tabbed it would not announce the icons there either.
When I finally managed to activate INS + F4 I noticed the selections were preceeded by "Update" then Shutdown or Reboot.
This has happened to me at least 2 times before when a Windows update comes in and is painful and a time waster to say the least.
Any ideas what Windows 10 is doing to me and a possible fix I can do so that a pending update does not make my JAWS go wonky>?

George

Dale Heltzer

If you are using OneDrive, GoogleDrive, or some other cloud storage, shutdown will be blocked because these “drives” haven’t been updated. You just tell Windows to shutdown anyway. It’s a Windows thing, not a JAWS thing. +1 for FS… at least, not a -1!

---

Dale E. Heltzer

deheltzer@...