Topics

Jaws Announcing Selected Text

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Howdy All,

Running Windows 7 & 10 pro with J16 thru J2019 latest.  When selecting all the text in a text / Notepad file Jaws used to report how many characters wer selected, but not any more.  What or where do I need to go to find this setting so I can get this function back?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

I’m guessing this isn’t the answer, but just in case. Notepad, Windows 10-1809, latest release of JAWS 19.

Whether JAWS reports the number of characters selected depends on which text selection level I choose. I will be told the number of charazcters if I select all (control-a) or from focus to end of text (shift-control-down arrow). However, if I select with just shift-down arrow, JAWS does not give me this information.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:45 PM
To: Jaws-Users-List <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws Announcing Selected Text

Howdy All,

Running Windows 7 & 10 pro with J16 thru J2019 latest.  When selecting all the text in a text / Notepad file Jaws used to report how many characters wer selected, but not any more.  What or where do I need to go to find this setting so I can get this function back?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

When selecting all text with, Control + A, is where I used to get the total amount of characters reported, but I'm not getting the number of characters no matter which keystroke I use.  I don't know when Jaws stopped reporting character count for sure, but it most definetly happened within the last couple of months.  Thank you for your input.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws Announcing Selected Text

Mike,

I’m guessing this isn’t the answer, but just in case. Notepad, Windows 10-1809, latest release of JAWS 19.

Whether JAWS reports the number of characters selected depends on which text selection level I choose. I will be told the number of charazcters if I select all (control-a) or from focus to end of text (shift-control-down arrow). However, if I select with just shift-down arrow, JAWS does not give me this information.

Howdy All,

Marie

Mike,
I think what she is saying is that it still works with Jaws. I don’t know if you may have changed something that cause it to stop for you. I just went to a document and it works the same for me as for Adrian.
Marie

Sent: Friday, August 2, 2019 5:20 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi Adrian,

When selecting all text with, Control + A, is where I used to get the total amount of characters reported, but I'm not getting the number of characters no matter which keystroke I use.  I don't know when Jaws stopped reporting character count for sure, but it most definetly happened within the last couple of months.  Thank you for your input.

Mike,

Howdy All,

Running Windows 7 & 10 pro with J16 thru J2019 latest.  When selecting all the text in a text / Notepad file Jaws used to report how many characters wer selected, but not any more.  What or where do I need to go to find this setting so I can get this function back?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Marie,

With Word documents Jaws reports correctly, but in text files it was not until I changed something this morning.  I'm not sure which setting I changed, but Jaws is now reporting character count in text / Notepad files the way I like Jaws to report.  Thank you for your input.

Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 7:15 AM

Mike,
I think what she is saying is that it still works with Jaws. I don’t know if you may have changed something that cause it to stop for you. I just went to a document and it works the same for me as for Adrian.
Marie

Sent: Friday, August 2, 2019 5:20 AM

Hi Adrian,

Mike,

Howdy All,

Running Windows 7 & 10 pro with J16 thru J2019 latest.  When selecting all the text in a text / Notepad file Jaws used to report how many characters wer selected, but not any more.  What or where do I need to go to find this setting so I can get this function back?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.