Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 4:50 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS and sound forge

Hi,
A friend wrote me with a problem.
I think I remember this problem coming up a while ago but don't know
how it might have been resolved.
Any suggestions?
He says:  I am having a conflict with jaws 2019 and sound forge 11 on
my pc.  I have a sighted engineer friend who notice that if I open
sound forge 11 first then jaws 2019 I will have speech and I can use
sound forge 11.  If I open jaws 2019 and then sound forge 11 my jaws
speech will disappeared and I need to reboot my pc to get
jaws  back.  My friend believes that Jaws and sound forge are
fighting   over the sound on my sound card.  What can I do to fix this issue.

John again, I can confirm his problem but have not encounterd it myself.
He is using windows 10 latest version.
We installed the latest sound forge drivers today.

JAWS Certified, 2014.

I don't think SF is self-voicing.
Did you go into Jaws settings and try selecting a different sound device for Jaws?
I usually bring up the settings by pressing enter on the Jaws icon on the desktop.
Go to utilities and down arrow to sound card and try checking another device by pressing enter on one that is not checked.
Also, be prepared to call up Narrator or another screenreader if things go silent when you do this, so you can go back and check another one.
Glenn

Is Sound Forge a self voicing program?  I've heard of it, but don't know what it does.

Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 4:50 PM

[...]

Kwa Cheng Kwang

Sound Forge is a powerful but expensive audio recording, editing and mastering software. The SnowMan has jaws scripts for it and anyone interested to purchase can learn more about it at:
find more about Sound Forge at:

[...]

chris judge

That would only help if he has another sound source to feed jaws through.

Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 4:50 PM

[...]

It shows two in mine, and I only have the one device inside my computer.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 3:35 AM

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Glenn,

That's because 1 is Windows Default and the other is the soundcard brand name.  They're both the same soundcard.

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:11 AM

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 3:35 AM

[...]

Hi Mike,
Actually, I remembered it wrong, I have three to choose from, with one actual device:
Windows default sound card
   (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

That's because 1 is Windows Default and the other is the soundcard brand name.  They're both the same soundcard.

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:11 AM

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 3:35 AM

[...]

Try switching from one Realtek  selection to the other, but beware you might lose sound.  The 2nd Realtek selection probably has something to do with settings for other soundcard functions.

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:11 AM

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 3:35 AM