Topics

Jaws and Removal of Tables

JERRY MARTIN

Afternoon all.

Using Jaws 2018, Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, I am trying to remove a series of tables, along with its text, from a Word 13 document. I know that this has been discussed previously, but I cannot remember the process. Any help in this will be helpful. Please forgive the sometimers.

Jerry
“If you ask my opinion, I will use five dollar words, and expect four dollars and eighty five cents in return change.”

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
Did you try to select it, and pressing the del key?
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:14 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws and Removal of Tables

Afternoon all.

Using Jaws 2018, Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, I am trying to remove a series of tables, along with its text, from a Word 13 document. I know that this has been discussed previously, but I cannot remember the process. Any help in this will be helpful. Please forgive the sometimers.

Jerry
“If you ask my opinion, I will use five dollar words, and expect four dollars and eighty five cents in return change.”

JERRY MARTIN

Yes. Now there is another problem. Within some of the tables is text that I need to keep. So, what is the process for keeping the text, which I know is contradictory to my previous inquiry. Sorry.

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:25 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws and Removal of Tables

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

To: jaws-users-list

Afternoon all.

Jerry

Glenn / Lenny

If you use the  temp place marker, you can put a place marker and go to where you want to stop selecting and press insert + space bar and the letter M, and that selects up to where you are, then you can press delete.
To get to where you want to stop selecting, just use the normal navigation keys before you press insert + space bar and then M.
HTH.
Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:36 PM

Yes. Now there is another problem. Within some of the tables is text that I need to keep. So, what is the process for keeping the text, which I know is contradictory to my previous inquiry. Sorry.

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry

JERRY MARTIN

Okay ... so what is the temp place marker, and will the steps provided keep the text? Thanks for the reply.

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:42 PM

If you use the  temp place marker, you can put a place marker and go to where you want to stop selecting and press insert + space bar and the letter M, and that selects up to where you are, then you can press delete.
To get to where you want to stop selecting, just use the normal navigation keys before you press insert + space bar and then M.
HTH.
Glenn

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry

Glenn / Lenny

Also, maybe I didn't mention it, but control + windows + K places a mark.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:42 PM

HTH.
Glenn

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry

Ann Byrne

If you copy/paste the Word doc into Notepad, the table formatting will go away but the information will be saved.

In Word, while in the table, press alt+j, then l, then v to remove the table structure but leave the text.

At 02:36 PM 7/23/2019, you wrote:

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry
“If you ask my opinion, I will use five dollar words, and expect four dollars and eighty five cents in return change.�

JERRY MARTIN

Anne:
I followed your instructions, but could not get it to do what you said it would, so I am going to shut it down for the day. Thanks for the suggestions.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:34 PM

If you copy/paste the Word doc into Notepad, the
table formatting will go away but the information will be saved.

In Word, while in the table, press alt+j, then l,
then v to remove the table structure but leave the text.
At 02:36 PM 7/23/2019, you wrote:

Hi,
HTH.
Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry
“If you ask my opinion, I will use five dollar words, and expect four dollars and eighty five cents in return change.�

Brian Lee

Hello Jerry,

Here are a couple methods that you can try.

If you have many tables in the document you can list them using JAWS key with CTRL and T.  After doing so use down arrow key to find the table you want to work in and press enter to move focus there.

With the cursor located in the table press the Alt key to move focus to the top part of the ribbon.  After doing so press J followed by L followed by V. 

In the resulting “Convert table to text” dialog box you can choose how to replace the column dividers.  The default is by using tabs.  If you want to use a space instead of a tab then choose the down arrow key to the “Other” radio button.  Press spacebar when focus goes into the edit box. 

Tab to OK and press spacebar. 

If your keyboard has a number pad you can do the following:

Move focus into the table. 

Use JAWS key 3 (the number above E).

Immediately use Alt with the number 5 on the number pad.  This selects the entire table.

Use CTRL X to cut the selection.

Without moving the cursor immediately use the application key and move down to the pasting options.  Arrow right to the Keep Text Only option and use enter key.

This second method is quick but the tabs are still left.

You can then proceed to select and delete the text you don’t want to keep.   

If after pasting and keeping text only you want to get rid of the tabs you can select the text that you pasted and use Find and Replace.  After selecting the text use CTRL with H.  In the Find What box use a caret with T (that is shift key with 6 followed immediately with 6).  Tab to the Replace With box and press spacebar.  Tab to the Replace All button and use spacebar.  Word will tell you it has finished with the selection and ask if it should check the rest of the document and you can answer “No.”

Take care.  

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: July 23, 2019 12:37 PM

Hi,

HTH.

Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry

Brian Lee

Hello Jerry,

I noticed an error in the message I just sent.  When you use the Find and Replace dialog in the Find What box use caret with T, (that is Shift with 6 followed by T).  I accidently put that it is Shift with 6 followed by 6.  Here is the revised message:

If you have many tables in the document you can list them using JAWS key with CTRL and T.  After doing so use down arrow key to find the table you want to work in and press enter to move focus there.

With the cursor located in the table press the Alt key to move focus to the top part of the ribbon.  After doing so press J followed by L followed by V. 

In the resulting “Convert table to text” dialog box you can choose how to replace the column dividers.  The default is by using tabs.  If you want to use a space instead of a tab then choose the down arrow key to the “Other” radio button.  Press spacebar when focus goes into the edit box. 

Immediately use Alt with the number 5 on the number pad.  This selects the entire table.

Without moving the cursor immediately use the application key and move down to the pasting options.  Arrow right to the Keep Text Only option and use enter key.

If after pasting and keeping text only you want to get rid of the tabs you can select the text that you pasted and use Find and Replace.  After selecting the text use CTRL with H.  In the Find What box use a caret with T (that is shift key with 6 followed immediately with T).  Tab to the Replace With box and press spacebar.  Tab to the Replace All button and use spacebar.  Word will tell you it has finished with the selection and ask if it should check the rest of the document and you can answer “No.”

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...

Hi,

HTH.

Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry

Sharon S

Hi Brian, I too have been looking for a way to get rid of tables but keep the text. Your second option works great for me.

Thanks for sharing.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Wednesday, 24 July 2019 9:16 AM

Hello Jerry,

If after pasting and keeping text only you want to get rid of the tabs you can select the text that you pasted and use Find and Replace.  After selecting the text use CTRL with H.  In the Find What box use a caret with T (that is shift key with 6 followed immediately with 6).  Tab to the Replace With box and press spacebar.  Tab to the Replace All button and use spacebar.  Word will tell you it has finished with the selection and ask if it should check the rest of the document and you can answer “No.”

Take care.  

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

Hi,

HTH.

Glenn

Afternoon all.

Jerry