Topics

J2019 Latest Update Hotkey

Mike B

Hi All,

After the most recent update to J2019 the other day, did anyone notice if it created a new desktop icon screwing up your shortcut keystroke?  I don't recall if it did or not!  Or, I just redid the hotkey keystroke subconsciously!  LOL  LOL 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Holly

Hi Mike:

No change here with shortcut or hot key.

Holly

Mike B

Hi Holly,

Just to be clear, you're saying that after you updated you were still able to use your old hotkey keystroke?  The reason for this question is that in past several updates going back to at least Jaws 18 everytime you updated to a new build or updated the version to J2018 or J2019 Jaws would create a new desktop icon wiping out the previously created hotkey keystroke.  If you were able to use your old hotkey that means FS has fixed this issue which irritated many folks.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] J2019 Latest Update Hotkey

Hi Mike:

Holly

Holly

Mike:

I think the new shortcut and hot key changes are just for major updates.  This update is still a JAWS 2019 minor update, not a complete new version.

At least, I think this is right.

Holly

Larry Gassman

Holly, you are correct.
You will not see a brand new update for JAWS 2020 until November.
These are continuing updates to JAWS 2019.
Larry

At 11:04 AM 5/2/2019, Holly wrote:
Mike:

I think the new shortcut and hot key changes are just for major updates. This update is still a JAWS 2019 minor update, not a complete new version.

Holly

Larry Volk

Hi Mike;

I was surprized that the update didn’t remove my hot key and there was no new icon on the desktop.

Larry

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: May 2, 2019 11:55 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi Holly,

Just to be clear, you're saying that after you updated you were still able to use your old hotkey keystroke?  The reason for this question is that in past several updates going back to at least Jaws 18 everytime you updated to a new build or updated the version to J2018 or J2019 Jaws would create a new desktop icon wiping out the previously created hotkey keystroke.  If you were able to use your old hotkey that means FS has fixed this issue which irritated many folks.

Hi Mike:

Holly

Reed Poynter

Hi Mike,

The update’s change log says,

“Other Changes

list of 22 items

• When performing the monthly updates of JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion, the shortcut keystroke on the Desktop Icon used to launch the application, will no

longer be removed during the update process.”.

So, it did not remove the desktop shortcut key.

Reed

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: May 2, 2019 10:55 AM

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

Mike B

Hi Holly,

I vividly recall getting new Jaws desktop icons which would remove your hotkey with every update, minor or major, 3 Jaws versions ago at least.  That's why I wasn't sure if this last minor update corrected this problem or if I did it without thinking about it.  Apparently they've fixed the problem.  Thank you very much for your input.

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 11:04 AM

Mike:

I think the new shortcut and hot key changes are just for major updates.  This update is still a JAWS 2019 minor update, not a complete new version.

Holly

Mike B

Hi Larry,

We're discussing the replacement of Jaws desktop icons with updates whether major or minor that before this last minor update used to replace the desktop icon with a new one, which in turn would remove your Jaws hotkey.  Apparently this minor bug has been fixed.

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 11:44 AM

Holly, you are correct.
You will not see a brand new update for JAWS 2020 until November.
These are continuing updates to JAWS 2019.
Larry
  At 11:04 AM 5/2/2019, Holly wrote:
>Mike:
>
>I think the new shortcut and hot key changes are just for major
>updates.  This update is still a JAWS 2019 minor update, not a
>complete new version.
>
>At least, I think this is right.
>
>Holly
>

Phil Cox

Hi Mike

I believe that in the What's New listing it was stated that the update will not replace your Desktop shortcut and therefore leave your current hotkey alone from now on.

Phil

Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:55 PM

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

Hello Mike:

It did not wiped out the shortcut and its associated shortcut key, that change was announced in the notice you, helpful as always, shared with us in this list.

Regards,

Humberto

Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:32 PM
To: Jaws-Users-List <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] J2019 Latest Update Hotkey

Hi All,

After the most recent update to J2019 the other day, did anyone notice if it created a new desktop icon screwing up your shortcut keystroke?  I don't recall if it did or not!  Or, I just redid the hotkey keystroke subconsciously!  LOL  LOL 

Mike B

Hi Reed,

Thank you for pointing that out because I most surely missed that part of what's new.  Also, I checked my desktop icon and it was last updated with the previous build / minor update, not with this weeks update.

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 1:01 PM

Hi Mike,

The update’s change log says,

“Other Changes

list of 22 items

• When performing the monthly updates of JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion, the shortcut keystroke on the Desktop Icon used to launch the application, will no

longer be removed during the update process.”.

So, it did not remove the desktop shortcut key.

Reed

Sent: May 2, 2019 10:55 AM

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

Melissa Stott

I too was able to use the same hot keys.  I think they had mentioned something about that in one of the fixes.

Melissa

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

LeDon

OK, I have forgotten how to set up a hot key to start jaws. Can someone please refresh my memory? Thanks,

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Phil Cox
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 3:33 PM

Hi Mike

I believe that in the What's New listing it was stated that the update will not replace your Desktop shortcut and therefore leave your current hotkey alone from now on.

Phil

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

Larry Volk

Go to the jaws icon or to the actual jaws.exe and press alt+enter then tab to the shortcut key.

Larry

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of LeDon
Sent: May 3, 2019 1:24 PM

OK, I have forgotten how to set up a hot key to start jaws. Can someone please refresh my memory? Thanks,

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Phil Cox
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 3:33 PM

Hi Mike

Phil

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly

chris judge

The latest update didn’t brake the hot key for me, all seems to be working as it use to.

Sent: May 2, 2019 2:55 PM

Hi Holly,

Hi Mike:

Holly