Topics

Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Michelle Bernstein <hamletsweetlady@...>

Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Debby Hill

Hi Michelle,

This is really one of those personal preference things. However, if you are only going to use your laptop with JAWS and you haven't been using JAWS on a desktop computer, then I think it would be just fine to learn and use the laptop settings.

When I got my laptop, I bought an external keyboard with a numpad because I also use a desktop here at home and a ⠙⠑⠎⠅⠞⠕⠏ when volunteering. I know I'm a wimp, but switching all the time between the two layouts would have made me go silly!

Good Luck!

Debby

On Aug 1, 2019 7:56 AM, Michelle Bernstein <hamletsweetlady@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Mike Ulrich

I too use an external full size desk top keyboard with my Lenovo laptop.

Back when I originally learned how to use JAWS; they taught me on a full size desktop keyboard. Although today; I wish I’d of learned on a laptop keyboard. I’ve tried learning the laptop keyboard, but I just don’t have the patience.

People probably think I’m nuts; when I’m traveling with my laptop in its laptop bag; with a full sized desktop keyboard sticking out of it! But whatcha gonna do?

[...]

Sherry Wells

There are only a few differences between using the laptop & external keyboard, mostly the insert key.  If you can get used to that, I’d recommend sticking with the laptop.  You’ll probably be mostly using a laptop from here on in.  Attaching an external keyboard to it is clunky if you can & still want to see the screen.

You might be able to find an external numeric keypad which would be smaller & could sit right next to your laptop.

Sherry Wells

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Gaston Bedard

I also have an external full size keyboard connected to my Asus laptop.

Being blind, I turn off the computer screen.

Turning off the laptop screen saves on electricity and power.

But, this Asus laptop does not have an on and off switch.

I found out the keyboard shourtcut, Function key plus F7, turns off the laptop screen.

This shortcut, Function key plus F7, is done on the laptop keyboard.

[...]

Hi Michelle:

It is a matter of personal preference, I can only tell you what I, as a long-time JAWS user, do.  First, I always use laptop keyboard configuration, even on my desktop and full keyboard, which allows me to use the keystroke CapsLock+I to read the line the same as Insert-UpArrow on the numpad, but I am used to have my right hand on the numpad since I began using JAWS in 1989, so on my laptop I normally use an external keyboard with numpad.

Humberto

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Michelle,
I actually don't use my number pad that much, and when I use my laptop, there is a command for routing the jaws cursor.
But the thing I like about a desktop keyboard over a laptop one is not the sometimes lack of a number pad, but the closeness of the keys on a laptop.
The function keys on laptops rarely have separations between the three groups of four keys.
So for my laptops, I use loc dots on specific keys.
The keys I put them on are:
F4 F8 F12
3 7 0
tab F G enter
windows key and application key
These specific keys allow me to find my way around as quickly as I do on a desktop keyboard.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 8:09 AM

[...]

Judy Jones

Hi,

My first laptop did not have a numpad, so you will be fine.  I had that laptop and successfully used for six years.

Judy

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Judy Jones

Hi, Debbie and All,

You’re reminding me that when I started to work, the computer I had was not a laptop, but I liked the convenience of the Jawskey being the caps lock, so kept the laptop settings on my desktop, and enjoyed the convenience of either using the numpad or caps lock, depending on what the other hand was doing at the time.  It worked out very well having the best of both to hand.

Judy

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

I had no intention of learning laptop layout when I switched to JAWS.  However, if memory serves correctly, I want to use caps lock as an alternative JAWS key and this did not work as I wanted it to when in desktop mode.  I turned on laptop mode and have really found it quite intuitive as someone still relatively new to JAWS.  It’s like your right hand is sitting on the numpad already, so you just get used to thinking of your right hand sitting there and the position of the keys is the same.   So, if a command says to use insert and the numpad 5, I just think of how my hand would be sitting on the 4, 5 and 6 keys on the numpad and hit the corresponding key on the querty part of the keyboard.  Hope that makes sense.  It was easier for me than trying to remember that same command as insert k.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

I think that laptop layout should be the default, since I think most people like having that extra functionality, and most people don't understand that they wouldn't even know that it was on until they needed that extra functionality.
And the having to double-tap the capslock is probably a plus for poor typists anyway, because poor typists often inadvertently press the caps lock more than better typists do.
Glenn

[...]

I love how you can simultaneously use the laptop layout on a desktop computer with keyboard with number pad.  You have the best of everything to hand.  For those of you with a number pad keyboard, switch to laptop layout and you will still have your number pad functionality, plus the caps-lock Jaws key when convenient.

Judy

[...]

I was a typist long before computers were on the scene and long before I had my first laptop in 2007.

One time, when typing on a greeting card on our IBM Selectric, I accidently double-tapped the caps-lock on the typewriter hahahaha.  Muscle memory really does work, even when you don’t need it to.

Judy

[...]

I always wanted a selectric, but they cost more than I want to spend on one now adays.
Glenn

[...]

They are wonderful, and wedidn’t get ours until the nineties, when the college my hubby was working for was warehousing all theirs.  We had one given to us because they were trying to get rid of them.  I wonder how many offices or institutions of learning have some mothballed somewhere.

At work, we still had our Selectric 2 we hung onto and still used in the office from time to time.  For me, it was a great tool for writing on sticky notes, making out office deposit slips, etc.

Judy

[...]

LeDon

Yes, you don’t need a numb pad the lap top keyboard is easy to use and learn. In fact I much prefer it . You can do most selections without moving your fingers from the keyboard home typing position.

[...]

Mike Bernard

Well what else can you do? ignore them. (smile) I know how that feels. I used to use a laptop that I’d borrow from the testing center at school. Their keyboard didn’t have a numpad which made using the screen reader rather difficult. Eventually I had to switch to a full pc. The only reason I had to use the laptop for a while was because there were issues with getting the screen reader software installed on the pcs, that is, until they had changed their policy. Now all computers have screen readers, in the library, computer labs, Etc and I no longer have to deal with those scronny laptop keyboards. So basically, just do what you feel you have to do and ignore those who poke fun at you about carrying around an external keyboard.

[...]

I don't know why anyone would prefer to navigate with the number pad, it's a longer reach than the four arrow keys.
But it does take a concerted effort to make the change I know, because I too used to carry around a desktop keyboard with a laptop, but it was mostly for the bigger spaces between the keys than it was for the number pad.
But it is good for the brain to learn to adapt.
I'm sure I could adapt to laptop keyboards without dots on some of the keys if I had to.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:10 PM

[...]

Oh yes, very doable, and quicker to adapt than you might think.

It is true you don’t have to move your hands, as much off the keys when using the laptop layout, but I also like hitting the insert key with the arrow-up, right there together when wanting to read current line.  Otherwise, I mostly use the laptop layout, and use the desktop layout when the keycombinations I need are close to the num pad.

Judy

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:10 PM

[...]

Judy,
With laptop layout I use caps lock plus up arrow to read current line.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:10 PM