Topics

getting rid of row headerrs such as today, last week earlier in my downloads folder

John Gassman <johngassman@...>

Hi,
I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week, two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi John,

This is because the, Group By, in the View menu needs to be changed.  Try the following:
1. Open your Downloads folder and press, Control + spacebar, to make sure nothing is selected.
2. Press the applications key or Shift + F10 to open the context menu.
3. In the View submenu press enter on, List, or whatever you want from this submenu.
4. Open the context menu again, open the, Sort By submenu, and press enter on, Name, or whatever your choice might be.
5. Open the context menu again, down arrow to the, Group By submenu, and press enter on, None.
That's it, you should be good to go.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:54 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] getting rid of row headerrs such as today, last week earlier in my downloads folder

Hi,
I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Michael Massey

Hi. I had the same thing happen after updating to the latest Windows 10
update. To save time and frustration, I contacted the Microsoft disability
answer desk, the representative remoted into my computers and made the
changes. This was done after I tried in vain to follow a list member's
instructions to resolve this issue. This behavior is similar to Outlook. I
seem to remember that the feature has always been in Windows 10 and was off
by default. Well, now the annoying feature is on by default.

I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.
<http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Don & Cher

Has anyone been able to get this change to hold? Mine (and many others complaining on line are saying the same) keeps reverting to the former group by setting.

Cher

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:54 AM

Hi,
I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Don & Cher

Is the new setting holding?

Cher

I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week, two
minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere else in
windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Holger Fiallo

I did follow instruction and works. I closed doc, and reopen again and is history. However I had not restarted my PC so I am not sure until I do so. So far it looks like it works.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:54 AM

Hi,
I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Cher,

Mine has held since I changed the settings after the 1903 update.

Has anyone been able to get this change to hold? Mine (and many others complaining on line are saying the same) keeps reverting to the former group by setting.

Cher

I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Pastor Gil Pries

I followed the instructions and it worked.

Thanks very much.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:54 AM

Hi,
I first started noticing this with the recent windows 10 update.
I think its annoying and I want to get rid of the today, last week,
two minutes and 35 seconds headers.
Actually I added the two minutes 35 seconds header just for the heck of it.
But, in any event, I'd like to get rid of them if I can.

they appear in my downoads folder. I don't know if they are anywhere
else in windows 10.
Does anybody know if getting rid of these headers is possible?
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

John Gassman <johngassman@...>

Hi,
From the context menu, I don't see a view sub menu or a sort sub menu. I see them from the file menu with alt and then f but not from the context menu.
Any suggestions?
John
At 10:04 AM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
[...]

Did you make sure nothing was selected?  Also try the extended context menu with the, Shift + F10, or Shift + applications key keystrokes to see what they show.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 6:16 PM

Hi,
 From the context menu, I don't see a view sub menu or a sort sub
menu. I see them from the file menu with alt and then f but not from
the context menu.
Any suggestions?
John
At 10:04 AM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>This is because the, Group By, in the View menu needs to be
>changed.  Try the following:
>1. Open your Downloads folder and press, Control + spacebar, to make
>sure nothing is selected.
>2. Press the applications key or Shift + F10 to open the context menu.
>3. In the View submenu press enter on, List, or whatever you want
>from this submenu.
>4. Open the context menu again, open the, Sort By submenu, and press
>enter on, Name, or whatever your choice might be.
>5. Open the context menu again, down arrow to the, Group By submenu,
>and press enter on, None.
>That's it, you should be good to go.
>
>Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
>If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

After I make sure nothing is selected, I tap the context key and I hear:
Play in Winamp
Enqueue in Winamp
Add to Winamp's Bookmark list
Open
Open With Studio Recorder
Convert with Switch Sound File Converter
Play with CyberLink Power Media Player 14
Convenient OCR with JAWS
Cast to Device
7-Zip
CRC SHA
Move to Dropbox
Scan with Windows Defender...
Share
Open with
Give access to
Scan with Malwarebytes
Restore previous versions
Send to
Cut
Copy
Create shortcut
Rename
Properties.

JOhn

Scientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.
<http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi John,

That's very weird because when I invoke the same keystrokes when I open the context menu the View, Sort By and Group By submenues are right at the top.  This is on 2 different computers.  1 a Dell Windows 10 Home 1903 latest laptop and the other a privately built desktop running Windows 10 Pro with 1903 latest as well.  What Win10 version are you running?

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 6:54 PM

 At 06:34 PM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
>Did you make sure nothing was selected?  Also try the extended
>context menu with the, Shift + F10, or Shift + applications key
>keystrokes to see what they show.
>
>Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
>If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

I restarted my PC and the change regarding download works. I do not see anything with today, last week and so on. I just see the download files. I do have current w10 also.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 6:54 PM

 At 06:34 PM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
>Did you make sure nothing was selected?  Also try the extended
>context menu with the, Shift + F10, or Shift + applications key
>keystrokes to see what they show.
>
>Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
>If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

I'm running the current windows 10 version.
John
At 09:05 PM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
Hi John,

That's very weird because when I invoke the same keystrokes when I open the context menu the View, Sort By and Group By submenues are right at the top. This is on 2 different computers. 1 a Dell Windows 10 Home 1903 latest laptop and the other a privately built desktop running Windows 10 Pro with 1903 latest as well. What Win10 version are you running?

last week earlier in my downloads folder

Hi,
From the context menu, I don't see a view sub menu or a sort sub
At 10:04 AM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
Hi John,

This is because the, Group By, in the View menu needs to be
changed. Try the following:
1. Open your Downloads folder and press, Control + spacebar, to make
sure nothing is selected.
2. Press the applications key or Shift + F10 to open the context menu.
3. In the View submenu press enter on, List, or whatever you want
from this submenu.
4. Open the context menu again, open the, Sort By submenu, and press
enter on, Name, or whatever your choice might be.
5. Open the context menu again, down arrow to the, Group By submenu,
and press enter on, None.
That's it, you should be good to go.

<<<mailto:johngassman@...>John>mailto:johngassman@...>John>mailto:johngassman@...>John>mailto:johngassman@...>John
Gassman

dom>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.Freedom
Scientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.
<<http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.Freedom
Scientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.
<http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification>http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi John,

After thinking about what options show in your context menu, I checked and the only way I get those VLC items is because something is selected.  I know you stated that you've made sure nothing is selected but, something is selected in order for those items to show.

Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:33 PM

At 09:05 PM 6/22/2019, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>That's very weird because when I invoke the same keystrokes when I
>open the context menu the View, Sort By and Group By submenues are
>right at the top.  This is on 2 different computers.  1 a Dell
>Windows 10 Home 1903 latest laptop and the other a privately built
>desktop running Windows 10 Pro with 1903 latest as well.  What Win10
>version are you running?
>
>Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
>If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!

Mike, you were right. I thought I had everything unselected and I did not.
Once I hit control space very quicly, I saw the menus you mentioned and was able to fix the problem.
thanks to you, Rebecca and all the others who answered.
this is definitly a response I will save in case it happens again via a windows 10 update.

John