Topics

For those who use Hi Criteria's Total Recorder?

Judy Jones

               Hello, All,

I hope this question isn’t too much off topic, as I do use Jaws 2019, as of today, but for a long time now, actually for years, I have been using High Criteria’s Total Recorder and love it.

Except for a while now, when recording, I am getting crackling and skips.

Have you all found a work-around or correction for this?

I did contact High Criteria support, and followed their instructions to run Total Recorder from the kernel version,but that didn’t work at all, and since then, I haven’t messed with it much.

It is great for editing and for converting to other audio formats, so will keep it around for that reason.

I have been doing any recording with Audacity, but would like to get back to Total Recorder.

Thanks very much for your collective wisdom.

Judy

Jim Rawls

Judy, are you using the free version or the paid one. The free one will give you hiss about every 30 seconds. What I want to fix is jaws reading stop start, etc. When I am trying to record. Have you found a way around that? Jim

I hope this question isn’t too much off topic, as I do use Jaws 2019, as of today, but for a long time now, actually for years, I have been using High Criteria’s Total Recorder and love it.

Except for a while now, when recording, I am getting crackling and skips.

Have you all found a work-around or correction for this?

I did contact High Criteria support, and followed their instructions to run Total Recorder from the kernel version,but that didn’t work at all, and since then, I haven’t messed with it much.

It is great for editing and for converting to other audio formats, so will keep it around for that reason.

I have been doing any recording with Audacity, but would like to get back to Total Recorder.

Thanks very much for your collective wisdom.

Judy

andy t

Hello Jim, you need to re install total recorder and only install the kernel  mode driver and un check the rest and see if this doesn’t fix the problem.

You should be able to hear jaws but total recorder shouldn’t pick it up while recording.

[...]

DGH

Before you begin the recording mute Jaws by pressing insert spacebar followed by the letter S.  Then turn the speech back on by doing the same.

[...]

Hi, Jim,

Yes, I am using the paid version, and I turn speech off before starting the recording and turn it on again when finished and recorder is stopped.

Judy

[...]

Ok, that’s what I do also. Jim

[...]

One thing interesting, the program always has muted Windows sounds, and that is good.

Do you still record with your copy?  Mine emits these crackles and skips now, and not even reinstalling helps after one or two recording sessions, goes back to the crackles and skips thing.

Judy

[...]

Judy, I don’t understand your problem with the cracking etc. I mean I understand  that you are having it but I don’t know why. Why not try uninstalling and reinstalling total recorder and see if that clears it up?  Jim

[...]

Hello Jim, I haven’t noticed any popping or crackling with my total recorder but I know if you are using the demo mode there will be a sound every 30 seconds but I purchased mine back at 3.0 so as the activation code changed they send me a new one at no charge and I run the pro version but I haven’t dun much recording since I went to version 1809 in windows 10.

I had the problem of jaws talking during recording so I went to the total recorder web sight and red the tutorials for screen readers and followed what they said to do and that fixed the problem and I haven’t had to silence jaws any more.

Below is the tutorial directly from the web sight please read it carefully and follow the directions.

I will put this up on the one drive page for future reference.

Recording with total recorder useing jaws.

submitted by Andy t.

This is copied directly from the tutorials page on the total recorder web sight.

using total recorder pro with windows 10 any version.

if you have any trouble please use the support web sight listed in the below tutorial.

Happy recording.

Tutorial: Recording the Output of Other Software Programs(Internet Transmissions) on a Computer with a Screen Reader

This tutorial provides recommendations on how toavoid recording the output of a screen reader along with the sounds that you actually want to be recorded.

•If you have the Professional or VideoPro Editionof Total Recorder and need to record an Internet transmission, thenyour first step is to check if the transmission to be recorded issupported for being Backgroundrecorded.

This would be the preferred method since you willbe able to use a screen reader without affecting the recording.

•If recording in Background recording mode is impossibleor you have the Standard Edition of Total Recorder, then set TotalRecorder to record in Software mode using the Total Recorder kernel-modeaudio driver. For this:

1.Launch the installation of Total Recorder.

2.In the third step of the installation wizard (next to acceptingthe License Agreement) click Advanced... button.

3.In the Total Recorder driver dialog opened uncheck alloptions but Install kernel-mode virtual device driver.Hit OK.

4.Complete the installation. Then reboot.

5.Set a screen-reader to use directly your soundcard driver (notTotal Recorder driver).

This page provides a common approach that will work on the majorityof modern computers. But, there are also other more specific variants.Therefore, if you have difficulties in configuring the program for your intendeduse and you need help, contact our Supportteam for more specific recommendations.

See also:

Background Recording (Direct Capturing), How to choose the most suitable driver

[...]

I have tried that numerous times over the last couple years, and works great for a couple  of times, then goes right back to the crackling skipping problem again.  I’m beginning to wonder if Total Recorder hasn’t kept up with the Windows updates.  I’m on Windows 10.

Judy

[...]

JUDY, I have officially given up on total recorder and use now, visual recorder. It works really well. I use it to record my internet radio show on the global voice. Have you checked that out yet? Jim

[...]

Judy, I messed up the title of the program. It is virtual recorder, not visual recorder. I was doing two things at the same time and wrote the wrong thing in my email. You want virtual recorder. let me know if you have trouble finding it. my email is, jazzpiano@...Jim

I have tried that numerous times over the last couple years, and works great for a couple  of times, then goes right back to the crackling skipping problem again.  I’m beginning to wonder if Total Recorder hasn’t kept up with the Windows updates.  I’m on Windows 10.

Judy

Ca.rr.com. Jim installing total recorder and see if that clears it up?  Jim

[...]

I will check it out, Jim, thanks!  Virtual Recorder, thanks.

Judy