Topics

Filling out an envelope

Kate Walsh

Hi All,

I am using JAWS 2019 with the latest version, office 2016 and windows 10.

When I go to fill out an envelope, I pulled up a word document and than pressed alt plus m for the mailings tab than e for envelopes.

It says divelery address so I typed in the persons name and than pressed enter to type in the address but it doesn’t do anything.

I tried typing in their whole address and using the reading command but it just says envelopes and labels.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kate Walsh

Judy Jones

I have found Microsoft doesn’t play nice with their mailings tab, and stick with Avery all the way.

Judy

I am using JAWS 2019 with the latest version, office 2016 and windows 10.

When I go to fill out an envelope, I pulled up a word document and than pressed alt plus m for the mailings tab than e for envelopes.

It says divelery address so I typed in the persons name and than pressed enter to type in the address but it doesn’t do anything.

I tried typing in their whole address and using the reading command but it just says envelopes and labels.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kate Walsh

Rebecca Lineberger

I have Word 2010, not 2016, so I don’t know if this will work for you.

If I want to print an envelope, I find it easiest to type the information in a blank document.  The return address goes at the top, not indented, then the delivery address several lines below, again not indented.

When I go to the mailings tab and then to envelopes, everything is already filled in, in the proper places.  I have the envelope inserted into the printer and all I have to do is tab until I get to print.  Some printers have an actual physical button to press to start the printer and sometimes there’s a continue button on the screen which you may have to alt-tab to.  Someone may have to show you the first time just to make sure the envelope is inserted as it should be and to make sure it printed properly.

I have found Microsoft doesn’t play nice with their mailings tab, and stick with Avery all the way.

Judy

I am using JAWS 2019 with the latest version, office 2016 and windows 10.

When I go to fill out an envelope, I pulled up a word document and than pressed alt plus m for the mailings tab than e for envelopes.

It says divelery address so I typed in the persons name and than pressed enter to type in the address but it doesn’t do anything.

I tried typing in their whole address and using the reading command but it just says envelopes and labels.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kate Walsh

Glenn / Lenny

How far do you indent for business size versus a small envelope?
Thanks

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:08 PM

[...]

Not unlike using a typewriter the way we used to back in the day.  I remember the spacing learned back then.

Judy

[...]

If you’ve told Word what size envelope you have, Word will put the addresses where they need to go.  Writing the addresses in a blank document—no indentation necessary—is just a way to have Word fill in the edit fields for you.  You can always fill in the fields yourself from the mailings/envelopes tab.  Again, I just type in the addresses, no indentation required, since Word has a template for the envelope size you’ve selected.

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:08 PM

[...]

Justin Williams

How far do you have to go down between the pieces of info on the page?

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:08 PM

[...]

I would say that with the built-in margins, you would not want to go down at all.

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:27 PM

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:08 PM

[...]

Ron Kolesar

Hey Judy, long time no talk or see, from Ron Kolesar Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
I have a HP all in one printer.
When I insert a envelope, which is almost never these days when ever possible first.
I try to use a persons and or company’s e-mail address.
But do you place the envelope in length ways and if so, with the flap side up and or down and to the let and or to the right?
Also, or do you place it with ways where the flap is going across instead of up and down?
And the above questions apply to if the envelope is in length ways or with ways.
Very Thankfully yours, A lost friend Ron Kolesar Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County emergency Com-Tree Manager.

[...]

In the good old days of Morse code Shorthand, 73's AKA Best Regards and or Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Rebecca Lineberger

I would just skip a line or two, as you would have done in the olden days when you were writing a formal business letter with both addresses listed at the left before the body of the letter begins.

Actually, if you’ve saved your return address, you don’t have to type that at all.  It will be filled in for you.

If you use the edit field in the mailings envelope tab, you don’t have to do anything but fill in the information:

Name

Address

City, State zip

Just pay attention as you tab through the fields and options on the way to the print button and follow the prompts.  This is not that complicated.  Smile.

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:08 PM

[...]

Rick Justice

Hi Ron,
I am using Word 2007 on Win7, and Jaws 2019 and the envelope wizard works
very well for printing envelopes.
Typically on HP ink jet printers,the envelope would go in
with the flap facing up and pointing to the right,
and on laser printers the flap would be facing down and pointing to the
right.
Where the envelope is positioned in the paper tray will depend on the model,
in my old HP, the envelope was positioned in the right side of the paper
tray oriented as mentioned above,
but in my newer printer, the paper has to be removed and the envelope guide
must be used to center the envelope in the paper tray.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

Not unlike using a typewriter the way we used to back in the day. I
remember the spacing learned back then.

Judy

I have found Microsoft doesn’t play nice with their mailings tab, and stick
with Avery all the way.

Judy

I am using JAWS 2019 with the latest version, office 2016 and windows 10.

When I go to fill out an envelope, I pulled up a word document and than
pressed alt plus m for the mailings tab than e for envelopes.

It says divelery address so I typed in the persons name and than pressed
enter to type in the address but it doesn’t do anything.

I tried typing in their whole address and using the reading command but it
just says envelopes and labels.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kate Walsh

Best Whishes,
From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Judy Jones

Hi, Ron, this is Judy.

Very sorry, but I am not remembering you from other than the e-mail lists.  I am from out west, originally Colorado Springs.

I was a “ham” a long time ago with WN0CGG while I was growing up, but we moved overseas with my Air Force father, and I had to give it up, as we lived in West Germany’s buffer zone.

Regarding the envelope, it will depend on your printer instructions, but I am guessing that the envelope would go in on the top of the printer tray lid, just inside those adjustable pieces.  It will probably go flap down and guessing again, lengthwise.

You’ll have to give it a try.  I am going to do the same, just for fun, haven’t tried it with our new laser printer.  I usually type all our envelopes.

Even at work, no one learned how to use our fancy-dancy printer/faxer/copier to do envelopes, and we all just typed them on our office’s IBM Selectric 2.

None of us ever thought of trying Becky’s idea of typing in a word doc first, and letting the mailings tab place the addresses properly.  None of us knew to do that.

I should employ her technique also when creating labels.  We all just pulled up the mailings tab, then typed in the information, and it never worked.  I gave up and started downloading from Avery.

Thanks Becky!

Hope this works for you, Ron, and let us know how it goes.

Judy

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

jyandt.martin@...

Mr. Rick:

Can you tell me if this process works for a canon inkjet printer? Thanks.
Jerry

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager

Rick Justice

Hi Jerry,
I don't have any experience with that brand of printer,
so you can try one of the methods I described in my previous message, or try
consulting the user manual for your printer.

[...]

From Ron U.S. Ham Radio Station KR3DOG-PA-WCECTM
Pennsylvania West County Emergency Com-Tree Manager