Topics

Emojis

Judy Jones

Hello, Rebecca and All,

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

Victor Gouveia

Judy, I’m curious, what version of Jaws are you running?

I’m using the latest one and It’s speaking out the Emoji's just fine.

Is it possible you’re using something other than HTML to compose your messages?

Victor

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

Judy Jones

I am using Jaws 19, Windows 10, Outlook 10.

Judy

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

Don & Cher

I think what Victor is asking is, is your Outlook set to plain text instead of html.

Cher

I am using Jaws 19, Windows 10, Outlook 10.

Judy

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

Mr. Ed

Hi Judy,

I have the same thing as you do and putting emoji on an email use to work fine. But today as I try it I have not been able to make it work. Not sure what has changed.

Mr. Ed

I am using Jaws 19, Windows 10, Outlook 10.

Judy

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

david

Hello;

I'm using latest jaws, outlook 2016,

here's what I figured out.

first create new message, ctrl+n=new,

or, you could do a reply, ctrl+r=reply,

in the body of the message, do the following,

1, Windows-key+semi colon,

2, Windows-key+apostraphy,

you now should hear;

Emoji panel is opened,

3, you need to right arrow to find the group of Emoji's,

4, enter on the group you want,

now use the tab key, then arrow you should find the list of Emoji's.

hope this helps a little.

[...]

Holger Fiallo

Most of us got there. The problem is adding one in the email. Does not work with jaws or issue with adding emoji.

[...]

Rebecca Lineberger

This is the way it works for me.

If you want to add an emoji to a blank message or document, press the spacebar before you open the emoji panel.

😊 There was a space to the left of the emoji.)

Or,

type a sentence.👏

When you find an emoji you like, press enter.  Press escape and you will be back in your message or document.

In Outlook, you can press either windows key semicolon or windows key period to get to the emoji panel.  In my Word 2010, the Windows key semicolon is used by JAWS for something else.

If JAWS says that the panel is closed, press an arrow key.  Arrow up or down to view the emoji within that category. Or tab till you hear the name of a new category then right arrow to  arrow through the categories.  Press enter to choose a category.  Tab until you hear the number of items in the group, which means you can now arrow up, down, sideways through the emoji for that group.

Press enter on one you like, and press escape.

I also use Gmail on the web, not through Outlook.  The emoji panel works as above there, except that after I’ve pressed escape to leave the emoji panel, I have to shift tab and then tab back to the message, where JAWS then says, contains text, and the text and emoji are there.  Otherwise, JAWS doesn’t see or read the information in the edit box.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

[...]

I really can’t explain this.

I’m using Windows 10, 1903, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Jaws 2019 version 1907.

I don’t know whether my Jaws is the current version or not, but while Jaws does not speak the fact the Emoji panel has popped up, which I believe it’s supposed to, when I arrow up, down, left or right, I am able to see, so to speak, the various Emoji characters, and when I press enter on the Emoji character I want to place into the message, I press escape key, and the panel goes away and the character is there where my cursor was.  If I want to add more than one character, I simply keep pressing enter on the various characters I want to insert, then when I’m done selecting, I simply escape from the panel, and again, my various Emoji characters are placed in line with my cursor position.

I do have to stress, even before Windows included this panel, there was an Emoticon panel located at the end of the insert ribbon when composing a message, whether it be a reply, forward or simply a new message, the Emoticon insertion was always there, but I do have to say, the new panel displayed with the Windows key+semi-colon is much more easier, both to navigate and insert, so kudos to Microsoft for this.  😎

Victor

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Victor,

First, running Windows 10 Pro 1903 latest version and Jaws J2019 latest.  For not being able to explain, you did a good job!

In the apps / programs I opened the Emoji panel in, nothing was reported to notify me that it was indeed open, but if I arrowed after invoking the Windows Key + the period or semicolon to open it I would hear various emoji's spoken and that was the only way I knew it had opened.

In an earlier post by, David, he suggested that after invoking the Window Key + period or semicolon keystroke to open the emoji panel to invoke the, Windows Key + apostraphy, keystroke.  I tried as David suggested and Jaws reports that the emoji panel is open, or something along those lines, so maybe this Windows Key + apostraphy keystroke will benefit others as well.

[...]

Hi Mike,

As a matter of fact, the Windows key+apostrophe keystroke did nothing for me except give me a ding.  LOL.

It’s odd how we’re getting conflicting stories from various people.

Hope Freedom Scientific is paying attention.  LOL.

[...]

cheez

Hey, that's pretty cool!  Thanks for the tips.

Vince

[...]

With all the different notification configurations someone can tweak in Windows 10, plus the various unsupported programs that people run and the tweaks we need to do to run these unsupported programs, specific settings for all of this seems to be a lot of why so many folks have conflicting issues when running the same program or programs as another person.

Even with running supported programs people seem to have so many conflicting issues amongst those running pretty much the same programs.  Too me, a lot of these screenreader issues can be attributed to so many available settings options that are done by the Windows OS and we don't know what they are or where to go to experiment with them.  It's amazing the amount of settings options when you start peeling off the layers to get a little deeper into the Windows 10 system settings!  Microsoft  makes it much harder for a computer operator to have control over their own computer let alone a company like Vispero / Fs to keep up with all the changes MS does so frequently.  Holy crap, I'm off the soap box!  LOL

[...]

Dear nice Rebecca

It is not consistent. Whether is a jaws issue or Microsoft I do not know. Bella the cat will not tell me. 😙 It took me 3 tries to add this emoji. Go figure.

[...]

But you did it! 😤

As I said, sometimes, it can take a bit of arrowing or tabbing until we learn, or remember, what we need to do.  Doing this just from the keyboard, without being able to look, as sighted people do, it can sometimes be just a bit frustrating!😣  Laughing!

[...]

Good morning back to you.

Well if it is Microsoft, hope they fix this. If this jaws, I am paying and the need to address this. Me wasting several minutes doing something that should take 2 seconds is not good specially when I am paying for it. If it was free, I understand but is not. 🤑

[...]

Richard Turner

😒

What is interesting about this is that if you launch narrator while Jaws is also running, hit windows + semicolon, then arrow down, the Emoji panel reads fine.  , 🤷

I’d say then, this is a Jaws problem.

🎶

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

[...]

Well them they need to address this along lost focus. Afterall we are paying to have a app that suppose to allow us to use outlook.

[...]

Aha!

Thanks very much.

I actually did not have it in plain text, but changed to that format when composing, tried again, but with no luck.  No feedback from Jaws.  I also tried with Narrator with no success.

I’m going to stick to the dependable www.emojipedia.com.

Judy

[...]

I know, and glad I am not the only one either.

Thank you!