Topics

downloading with Chrome

Vicki W

I have a question about downloading files with Chrome. In IE, there was the option to "save as" so that I could name the file whatever I wanted before downloading it. Does that option exist somewhere in Chrome? I'm not finding it with JAWS if it does.

Thanks.

Vicki

Karen Schrade

Hi Vicki, I’d wondered about that as well and, the answer is yes.

Go into the settings menu in chrome with “alt+f+s”. go almost all the way down to advanced settings and enter on that. Then, go almost all the way down to “downloads”. It’s just before printing.

In there you have several options. One is a toggle to “prompt me before download begins”. If you enter on that, the good old “save as” comes up when you download something. There you can change the name and even the folder for it to go into. Hope this works for you. Karen

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 2:25 PM
To: JAWS
Subject: [jaws-users] downloading with Chrome

I have a question about downloading files with Chrome. In IE, there was the option to "save as" so that I could name the file whatever I wanted before downloading it. Does that option exist somewhere in Chrome? I'm not finding it with JAWS if it does.

Thanks.

Vicki

Adrian Spratt

Karen,

to add to these fine directions, the way I find “advanced” in Chrome settings is to press control-end to the bottom of the page, then shift-h once back to the “Advance” heading. So many of the settings we need are under “Advanced” that it’s useful to have this quick way to get there.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Schrade
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2019 3:09 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] downloading with Chrome

Hi Vicki, I’d wondered about that as well and, the answer is yes.

Go into the settings menu in chrome with “alt+f+s”. go almost all the way down to advanced settings and enter on that. Then, go almost all the way down to “downloads”. It’s just before printing.

In there you have several options. One is a toggle to “prompt me before download begins”. If you enter on that, the good old “save as” comes up when you download something. There you can change the name and even the folder for it to go into. Hope this works for you. Karen

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 2:25 PM
To: JAWS
Subject: [jaws-users] downloading with Chrome

Thanks.

Vicki