From: joanne
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 9:48 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] do you think this problem is a result of latest update or sound card issue

I don't know how well I'll explain this but I'll try. It's rather complex and something I just haven't run across before; and too many times I've had to restart by using the button on computer because with Jaws acting this way I can't shut down or restart using Jaws. Not sure it is an issue with the latest update, but it started happening after installing it. I'll be doing just fine for awhile and then all of a sudden there'll be this pop-up from Jaws and no alt-tabbing will get me out of it. It says "this feature can only be used in tandem," and I'm not using tandem at the time and haven't used it in a long time. I attempt to restart Jaws and it says jaws 40 minute mode and that "this feature" message won't go away. It acts like the jaws key is locked by the way typed characters are shown. And it makes this click noise upon spacing. I can't restart it without this limited speech, so I use the button and it goes back to normal for awhile.

The reason I wonder if Jaws doesn't like the sound card anymore is I'm now afraid to play music while working with jaws because I don't know if the sound card doesn't like my doing 2 things at once and that's why that strange message. I did make sure "allow wave files" was checked but just don't know what's causing this craziness. I don't know if a restore will help. I'm very open to ideas.

Thanks.

Joanne

Steve

That's strange.

First, I'd try a Jaws repair.  I'm not sure what is generating that tandem message you're getting.

Second, part of this issue sounds like some type of lock-up is occurring.  Have you run a good anti-virus and anti-malware scan recently?

Does your hardware check out properly, i.e. is all your memory working properly?  Often, application dumps or freezes are a result of a memory problem.

I don't know if Narrator talks if you choose to do the memory check procedure as outlined below, otherwise, you'll need a pair of eyes or Aira to assist you:

[...]

JM Casey

Hey.

This is interesting.

Sorry for the snark in advance, but isn’t Aira just a remote pair of eyes? :P

I’d be interested to know if there is a command line alternative to mdsched to bypass the gui entirely. I never ran this before myself; I just checked and it appears it has no command line switches and can’t be run without the interface. But maybe there is something else. That said, it shouldn’t be hard to just let the test run without speech (I doubt narrator will work here, but hey, maybe, give it a try) and then check results in event viewer.

Would still seem more efficient to me to just decide what you want, execute some command line switches and then have the results dumped into a text file. But hey…

Also note that if a memory stick registers ashaving “issues”, it might be something as simple as it having become slightly unseated, or some dirt got in there. Yes, it sounds stupid, but this happened once to my last PC. I was having inexplicable memory faults every so often for a while that would cause a system halt. Then one day the computer simply would not boot, giving me a steady beeping sound instead. So my ex and I opened up the case, gently cleaned around all the modules (it was a bit dusty in there as I recall!), and made sure everything was snugly in place. System booted perfectly after that.

But yeah, this may be a completely different problem.