Topics

Distorted Jaws Speech After Dell Update

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Mike B

Hi Tom,

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Mike:

The sound card is a realtech.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Mike B

Hi Tom,

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Larry Volk

I had the same problem but you can go out and find the latest update for your realtek driver.

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Mike:

I rolled back the sound card driver, and it did not correct the issue.

If you have any other suggestions, and steps for following them, please let me know.

Thank you!

Tom Behler

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

I tried this, but I was told there were no updates available, which must mean that I have the latest sound card driver.

Tom Behler

I had the same problem but you can go out and find the latest update for your realtek driver.

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Glenn / Lenny

Tom,
Try this,
tap the windows key and type in control panel
then type in
manage audio devices
Try arrowing through the devices and see if you can fix it there.
If none of that does not fix the issue, what I often do to fix such things is to tap the windows key and type in device manager, tab to the computer name and open it up and select the audio device and press the delete key.
You may need to open it up in the list view with a right arrow before you can select it.
Then restart, and let Windows find it again on startup, as it will do.
HTH.
Glenn
and select

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

John Gassman

Hi,
Here's an email conversation I was involved in among JAWS Beta list testers.
Assuming the problem is the same, take note of the blog post from Jonathan Mosen and install Silensio.
I did and it worked for me. that problem disappeared.
John
Weird fuzzy sound
Hi,
All of a sudden the sound changes to a fuzzy sound regardless of the screen reader I'm using.
it happens with all three screen readers JAWS NVDA or Narrator.
Unloading and loading JAWS does no good which makes me think its the sound card.
the only way I know to get rid of the problem is to reboot the computer which does fix the problem.
I'm using a realtech sound card.
Has anyone experienced the problem and are there any suggestions?

John

Hi John,
Not sure if the below may help from a blog post Jonathan Mosen posted earlier this year.
https://mosen.org/soundsfrustrating

11/26/2018
Hi John, Adam's right. The issue manifests itself in several ways. Since
publishing that blog post, I purchased an external sound card for my wife
who is doing radio journalism and got the fuzziness you were talking about.
I would be interested to know if installing Silensio, which I linked to in
that blog post, fixed your issue. It has fixed all Windows audio issues for
me.
I think the function of this little app, to simply hold the sound card open
and send silence to it. Would be a very useful setting to be able to toggle
on in JAWS.

Jonathan Mosen

At 06:56 PM 5/8/2019, you wrote:
[...]

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result. Are you running a Realtech soundcard? Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Kevin

The first solution has me lost.  The second I go to speakers real tech audio press enter and get this device is working properly.  I press the application key on it and most things are unavailable including the delete!

My speech is slurred also,

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Loy

You may need to disable audio enhancements. Here is how to do it.
Disable Audio Enhancements in Windows 10
  1. Click the Windows 10 start button and then type Sound. ...
  2. In the Playback tab, right-click the audio device you would like to disable the audio enhancements for, and then select Properties.
  3. Click on the Enhancements tab to display all the available audio enhancements.
  4. Click the Disable all enhancements checkbox.

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Kevin

If audio enhancements are disabled, do I still have speech?  I don’t want to do anything that will kill my speech, the last thing I need is a mute computer.  Then I’ll need to call my brother and he will say you dummy!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

netbat66

no it won't. mine has been turned off for at least 5 years. it just won't have much base when playing music.

From: Tom Behler

From: Tom Behler

From: Tom Behler

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

chris judge

Might I add that it would be wise to have an alternate sound source available, such as a USB speaker or headset in the unlikely event your sound doesn’t come back. It has been known to happen.

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

John:

Silencio is already installed on this computer.

I installed it when I first got the computer in order to prevent the sound
card from temporarily going to sleep after several seconds of non-use.

I'm not sure how to access the program here to make any more sound card
changes.

Again, I'm using Windows 10 version 1809 here.

Tom Behler

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the
problem. It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with
a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to
please everybody.
I'm running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws
speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

JAWS Certified, 2014.

Tom Behler

Loy:

When I get to properties for the realtech sound card, and control tab through the various options, I only get general, level, advanced, and spatial sound.

In other words, I can’t find the enhancements option to disable it.

I thought the enhancements option might be in advanced settings, but it apparently is not.

Once again, I’m using Windows 10 version 1809 on this Dell laptop.

Tom Behler

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Mike B

Hi Tom,

Enhancements is missing because the Equalizer package or whatever it's called isn't installed.  Which probably means its using a gineric driver.

You could roll back the driver and this would possibly fix the problem.  It seems like Windows 10 replaces the Realtech driver with a generic driver when it updates the soundcard.

I’m running the latest build of Jaws 2019, and Windows 10 version 1809.

Tom Behler

You probably updated your soundcard and the screwed up sound is the result.  Are you running a Realtech soundcard?  Also what version of Jaws and which Widows 10 OS?

I just did a Dell update to my Windows 10 laptop, and now my Jaws speech sounds rather tinny and is very distorted.

Lowering the system volume does not lessen the distortion.

Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Tom Behler

Loy

I am using a desktop, I don't know if that would be  different. You also can get there by going to control panel and search for audio enhancements and look for find and fix audio playback issues

 I had a similar issue and that fix my problem.----- Original Message -----