Topics

deleting e-mails from Gmail.

Sherri

I have a lot of trouble navigating the Google mail site with Jaws.  I am currently using Jaws 17, but I also have Jaws 2019 on my computer.  I am running Windows 7.

I am almost out of storage space and have lots of Gmail to get rid of.  Deleting it from Outlook doesn’t seem to affect the Gmail client itself.  How do I go about selecting and deleting large quantities of Gmail?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sherri Brun

flmom2006@...

Board member, NFB of Central Florida

NFBF Newsline Marketer

Phone:  1-844-827-7371

                                The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations

of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.

Judy Jones

Hi, Sherri,

Is your e-mail client pop3 or imap?  If imap, your e-mail should come right off the server when deleting from Outlook, etc.

Judy

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Sherri,
Outlook may have a setting, if you are using POP, to delete deleted items from server in the advanced tab.
If not, on the web page, you will check the messages that you want to delete, as they should have a check box by them, make sure whether you are checking the message above or below the check box, you can tell if the first message has a check box above it or below it.
You can move from check box to check box with the letter X.
At the bottom of the list of messages for the page, you should find an action, like move or delete.
It will affect only the messages you have checked.
It's been a while since I've done this, but it will be similar if not just like this.
HTH.
Glenn

[...]

Andy

Hi Sherri,

Now that I am retired I don't use Outlook, but i seem to recall that in the Email preferences you have the choice to leave mail on the server, or to delete it from the server when it is downloaded.  Make sure that you don't have the "leave messages on server" box checked.

Andy

[...]

Tom Behler

Hello.

Judy is correct, but my g-mail account contains a file called “all mail” which seems to consist of an archive containing e-mails whether or not I have deleted them in Outlook.

I’d like to know how to clear out that file, and also how to safely delete out-of-date miles in my sent file on the g-mail web site.

Tom Behler

[...]

I don’t pay much attention to the All Mail, but I believe it contains e-mails from all your different boxes, unless you have deleted them.  It would seem safer to delete from your other boxes, in case you accidentally deleted something in the All Mail folder you wanted to keep.

I never delete my SentBox, as that is my record of e-mails that I hang on to.  I always did that at work too, and was very grateful, as I could always pull up and resend  an e-mail if someone said they didn’t receive what I had sent.  I’ll delete anything else except my sent mail.

Judy

[...]

Yeah, eMails are literally a drop in the buck in terms of space on the hard drive, unless they have attachments, like audio files.
But the space of saving plain old messages is really nothing.
Folks can search for messages in their eMail client and make the criteria that they are looking for messages with attachments, and when it finds them, you can select any number of them and delete them in one keystroke.
In most clients, shift + delete permanently deletes them.
Glenn

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Sherri,

I use the steps below to delete large numbers of email, but the steps below are for Basic HTML view and if you're using the Standard view I don't know
if they'll work.

From: Bill White
There is no "Select All" checkbox in basic html view in gmail. Here's what I
do to delete large numbers of messages in gmail.

How to create a filter in your gmail account which will delete large groups
of messages in your inbox.

1.  Sign into your gmail account using Internet Explorer.

2.  Press Insert+F7 to open the links list.

3.  Press the letter S until you hear Settings, then press Enter.

4.  Press Insert+F7 to open the links list again.

5.  Press the letter C until you hear Create a filter, and then press Enter.

6.  Press the letter F until you hear From: Edit.

7.  In this field, type *@*

8.  Press Tab until you hear: Next Step Button and press the space bar.

9.  When the next page loads, press the letter X until you hear: Delete it
Check Box Not Checked. Press the space bar to check this item.

10. Press the letter X until you hear: Also apply filter to 20 conversations
below Check Box Not Checked, and press the space bar to check this item.

11. Press Tab until you hear: Create Filter Button, and press the space bar.
Your filter should now be created.

12. After your filter is created, press Insert+F7, then the letter I to be
taken back to your inbox where you will see all of your messages still there
in your inbox.

13. Close Internet Explorer to exit out of the gmail web page.

14. Sign into your gmail account using Internet Explorer again.

15. Go to your inbox, where you should see that it is empty.

16. Press Insert+F7 to open the links list.

17. Press the letter S until you hear Settings, then press Enter.

18. Press F7 for the links list, then press the letter F until you hear
Filters, and press Enter.

19. Press the letter B until you hear: Delete It Button. Press the space
bar.

20. When the page loads, you will hear JAWS say:   Your filter has been
deleted.

21. Be sure to do steps 14 through 18, or all of your e-mail will continue
to be deleted and sent to the trash.

Bill White

[...]

Hi Again Sherri,

I found steps to remove messages for Standard view if you're using it and not the Basic HTML view.
From: Philip Hall
Here is a method of removing all messages from a gmail account using the standard view.

I would appreciate if someone would  try out the steps and let me know if I missed anything.

I created this using Jaws 18.

Good luck

1. Open your Gmail account and make sure you are in standard view.

2. press h until you get to labels
3. Press the letter b once to get to the more button.

4. Press enter twice.
The first time you press enter, jaws will say less.

Press enter one more time.
This should add additional links to the labels area.

5. Now, arrow down until jaws says
Trash.

6. Press enter to take you to the list of trash emails.

7. Press the letter t to jump to the table of trash messages.

8. Press up arrow to the empty trash button, or press
Shift b to move up to the empty trash button.

9. Press enter.
A new page will open asking you to
Confirm deleting messages

10. Press b to bring focus to the ok button or down arrow to the button.

Using jaws, for some reason, pressing enter or space on the ok button doesn't activate it.

11. If using jaws, turn off quick navigation keys by pressing
Jaws key + the letter z.

Press enter to activate the ok button.

You can now turn on quick navigation keys again by pressing
Jaws key + z.

All your messages will be deleted.
Phil

[...]

I guess I could simply keep my all-mail folder as long as it doesn’t get too big, although I suspect that will happen at some point down the road.

Tom Behler

[...]

In the case of my folder I wanted to delete, it not only deleted the e-mails, but the folder as well, which was fine, but certain other folders, I would just like to delete their e-mails.  Thank you for the tips.  Now I just have to remember how to get back to standard view.  I have a difficult time navigating in the HTML view.

[...]

This is great—a little scary—but great!  Thank you.

[...]

Thank you Judy.  That is a great suggestion!

Sherri

[...]

I honestly do not like Outlook.  I’ll have to try to find out where preferences is and then make that change.

[...]

It’s set up as IMAP.  It downloads to both my phone and my computer.

[...]

That might be true, but I’ve had mine for almost six years and doesn’t seem to be feeling any pain.

From time to time, I do delete my trash folder, and that’s what’s probably keeping me afloat.

Just for grins and giggles I looked at my oldest All Mail and it is back from November 14, 2015, so you are right, deleting from an Outlook inbox or the trash folder does not mean deleting from All Mail.

My sent mail doesn’t even go back that far, to September 2016.  Very interesting.

Judy

[...]

I think you would go into your mail tab, then accounts, and modify the account, not sure about that but I think  so.

Judy

[...]

Imap, that is good.  I abandoned pop3 years ago.

Judy

[...]

I tried, but could not find the heading “delivery”, which Google told me to look for.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sherri

[...]

Hi again Sherri,

I wonder if this link below will help.  Since I have Outlook 10, I used this link, but don’t know what version you have.

https://webworkz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000055463-Outlook-2010-change-existing-POP-or-IMAP-account-settings

Judy