Topics

Conversion of text document to word document

JERRY MARTIN

Morning all.

Using jaws 2019, word 13 and windows 10 on a dell laptop, I was needing to find out if I can save a WordPad text document as a Word 13 document, and if so, what are the steps? And would there be any issues in format? Thanks.

Jerry

Justin Williams

You could just copy it into the word document and save it.

Thanks,

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:53 AM
To: jaws-users-list <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] Conversion of text document to word document

Morning all.

Using jaws 2019, word 13 and windows 10 on a dell laptop, I was needing to find out if I can save a WordPad text document as a Word 13 document, and if so, what are the steps? And would there be any issues in format? Thanks.

Jerry

Justin Williams

It is probably going to alter your format, some.

Thanks,

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...

Morning all.

Jerry

Richard Turner

If it is a file you have saved, why not just open it in Word, then your formatting should pretty much stay the same. You may get a dialog about conversion, just hit enter on the default.
Then when saving, hit f12 and make sure the format is docx.

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." 
(Sent from the magical iPhone SE)
www.turner42.com

On Aug 8, 2019, at 6:10 AM, Justin Williams <justin.williams2@...> wrote:

Thanks,

Justin

Morning all.

Jerry

Justin Williams

So then, use your application key on the file and arrow down to open with.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:32 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Conversion of text document to word document

If it is a file you have saved, why not just open it in Word, then your formatting should pretty much stay the same. You may get a dialog about conversion, just hit enter on the default.

Richard

Arthur C. Clarke's third law says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." 

Thanks,

Justin

Morning all.

Jerry

Glenn / Lenny

I would copy the file path and open word and do control + O and paste the path to the file, but either should work the same.

Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2019 8:34 AM

So then, use your application key on the file and arrow down to open with.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:32 AM

Richard

Thanks,

Justin

Morning all.

Jerry

JERRY MARTIN

Richard:
Okay. I followed your instruction for trying to open it under the open with option, and all I had to choose from was either notepad, wordpad, or choose an app from the store. So, I tried to re-save it as a word document, but under the file tab, the option for saving as is not there. So I will try to copy the text and paste it into a blank document and then resave it as a document and see what happens. Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions.
Jerry

Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:32 AM

Richard

www.turner42.com

Thanks,

Justin

Morning all.

Jerry

Richard Turner

On my computer there is an option after finding an app in the store that says something like choose another app, the next screen has a list of apps and if the one I want isn't there, that same prompt is at the end, then I can browse through the programs and pick the one I want.
Word should be in that list if it wasn't before, and then you can set it as your default for that file type if you want.

Copying and pasting should also work.

HTH,

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Aug 8, 2019, at 9:31 AM, jyandt.martin@... <jyandt.martin@...> wrote:

Richard:
Okay. I followed your instruction for trying to open it under the open with option, and all I had to choose from was either notepad, wordpad, or choose an app from the store. So, I tried to re-save it as a word document, but under the file tab, the option for saving as is not there. So I will try to copy the text and paste it into a blank document and then resave it as a document and see what happens. Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions.
Jerry

Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:32 AM

Richard

www.turner42.com

Thanks,

Justin

Morning all.

Jerry

JM Casey

Hi.

You should be able to do this verye asily.

Open the document in word (use the “open with” method as suggested earlier, or just open word itself and load the document from there.).

Hit f12. The save as dialogue will appear.

Arrow down to “word document”.

Save.

And there you go.

Formatting should not be affected as much as it would be converting in the other direction. I mean, it’s a text document; any formatting is probably going to be done with simple spacing and tabbing and so forth, and not with Microsoft Word formatting codes. So, it should be all right.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: August 8, 2019 8:53 AM

Morning all.

Jerry