Topics

another thought on SSD drives - on or off?

Ken Chernack

Hi.

I am coming back from a vacation and just read many list emails.

I do not think the following was mentioned.

re. solid state drives

I love my SSD. When I shut down the computer, I put my hand on my system box feeling the slight vibrations for probably  5 seconds, and then there is 'nothing'.

The patient has turned off at that time.

<smile on>

Warning - if you live in a cold/snowy location, take off your snow gloves before taking this action.

<smile off>

Onward,

Ken

Glenn / Lenny

If it you have an SSD and the operating system is hanging, you'll be feeling the fan, or if it is not hanging, it might be installing updates.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 6:39 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] another thought on SSD drives - on or off?

Hi.

I am coming back from a vacation and just read many list emails.

I do not think the following was mentioned.

re. solid state drives

I love my SSD. When I shut down the computer, I put my hand on my system box feeling the slight vibrations for probably  5 seconds, and then there is 'nothing'.

The patient has turned off at that time.

<smile on>

Warning - if you live in a cold/snowy location, take off your snow gloves before taking this action.

<smile off>

Onward,

Ken

Gerald Levy

This is not necessarily the case.?? On some computers, especially small laptops, it is sometimes impossible to tell whether the fan is running just by feeling the case because it is very quiet or else emits little vibration.

Gerald