To: Jaws
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:05 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] usb bluetooth dongle and jaws lost speech

I have a USB Bluetooth dongle for my older Gateway laptop. I am using
Windows 7 and Jaws 2019. When I plug the Dongle in to a USB port I get
no Jaws speech unless I connect my bluetooth headphones. I also have a
focus 40 Braille display connected with USB which still works with Jaws
when the Dongle is connected. Is there something in Jaws settings I can
change so I don't have to keep unplugging the Dongle? The device is
small and I am afraid I will put it down somewhere and won't be able to
locate it.

--
"Every country has an idenity, history, customs,  and culture. It's a unique landscape in determining how its people live, work and play."

leonard morris

Thanks for this info I will contact them next week asap.

On 7/20/2019 7:28 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Leonard,

It sounds like your Jaws dongle is being seen as a soundcard by your computer.  Have you updated your dongle with the latest J2019 dongle file?  If not, you'll need to contact VFO / Fs and have it emailed to you.  I don't know if one has to do with the other, and this is the first time I've heard about this behavior by a dongle.  Hopefully someone will have an definitive answer for you.

[...]

Marie

I have a BT dongle and if you plug it in and have a BT device such as a headphone paired to the computer, the sound will be diverted to it. You could probably reroute the sound if you could access the sound mixer but once the bt is connected you must use it for the sound source.
Marie

[...]

Larry Volk

Hi Leonard;
Maybe when you plug the Bluetooth dongle in it defaults to headphone. Go to Control Panel then under sound and check it there.

I have a USB Bluetooth dongle for my older Gateway laptop. I am using
Windows 7 and Jaws 2019. When I plug the Dongle in to a USB port I get
no Jaws speech unless I connect my bluetooth headphones. I also have a
focus 40 Braille display connected with USB which still works with Jaws
when the Dongle is connected. Is there something in Jaws settings I can
change so I don't have to keep unplugging the Dongle? The device is
small and I am afraid I will put it down somewhere and won't be able to
locate it.

--
"Every country has an idenity, history, customs, and culture. It's a unique landscape in determining how its people live, work and play."

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Yo bro,
He wasn't talking about the Jaws dongle, it's blue-tooth.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

It sounds like your Jaws dongle is being seen as a soundcard by your
computer. Have you updated your dongle with the latest J2019 dongle file?
If not, you'll need to contact VFO / Fs and have it emailed to you. I don't
know if one has to do with the other, and this is the first time I've heard
about this behavior by a dongle. Hopefully someone will have an definitive
answer for you.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that
somebody screwed up.
I have a USB Bluetooth dongle for my older Gateway laptop. I am using
Windows 7 and Jaws 2019. When I plug the Dongle in to a USB port I get
no Jaws speech unless I connect my bluetooth headphones. I also have a
focus 40 Braille display connected with USB which still works with Jaws
when the Dongle is connected. Is there something in Jaws settings I can
change so I don't have to keep unplugging the Dongle? The device is
small and I am afraid I will put it down somewhere and won't be able to
locate it.

--
"Every country has an idenity, history, customs, and culture. It's a unique
landscape in determining how its people live, work and play."

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Bro,

Holy crap, I realized that about 1 hour after I replied!  I guess I need to pull my head out into the fresh air!  LOL  LOL