Topics

Searching outlook email with W10

Susan Stanzel

I was about to search for anything within my inbox or any other folder. Something changed about a year ago. What is the best way to find an email from a specific sender?

Susie Stanzel

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Susie,
It depends on your eMail program, but I use shift + control + F, and tab to the criteria you want.
If you make it too specific, you will get too many results.
If for example if you are looking for a message from John Smith, you would be better to search for Smith instead of John, in most cases, unless you get a lot of messages from Smiths, or if you are looking for a message from a .EDU sender, like John.Smith@..., you could look for just EDU in the from field, and if you are looking for a message with the word dog in the message, you can put that in to narrow the search.
But putting criteria in the message body slows it down, because your computer will have to read all the bodies in the eMail folders for that word.
But if you search for messages with Smith in the from field and dog in the message field, it will only read those messages which came from Smith.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:51 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] Searching outlook email with W10

I was about to search for anything within my inbox or any other folder. Something changed about a year ago. What is the best way to find an email from a specific sender?

Susie Stanzel

Susan Stanzel

I am using outlook 365. It had question after question. Will the results simply come up? It even wanted to start over.

Susie

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:07 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Searching outlook email with W10

Hi Susie,

It depends on your eMail program, but I use shift + control + F, and tab to the criteria you want.

If for example if you are looking for a message from John Smith, you would be better to search for Smith instead of John, in most cases, unless you get a lot of messages from Smiths, or if you are looking for a message from a .EDU sender, like John.Smith@..., you could look for just EDU in the from field, and if you are looking for a message with the word dog in the message, you can put that in to narrow the search.

But putting criteria in the message body slows it down, because your computer will have to read all the bodies in the eMail folders for that word.

But if you search for messages with Smith in the from field and dog in the message field, it will only read those messages which came from Smith.

HTH.

Glenn

Susie Stanzel

Judy Jones

Hi, Suzie,

From the inbox, or whatever folder you want to search, I shift-tab to the search field, and enter the sender’s name, or some search string distinctive to the e-mail.  Then tab back to the inbox or whatever folder you are wanting to search.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Susan Stanzel
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:51 AM

Susie Stanzel

Judy Jones

Hi, Susie,

I am using Outlook 10, so the 365 may be different.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Susan Stanzel
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:44 AM

I am using outlook 365. It had question after question. Will the results simply come up? It even wanted to start over.

Susie

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny

Hi Susie,

HTH.

Glenn

Susie Stanzel

Glenn / Lenny

I've never used that eMail program, but if it is like regular outlook, you will have criteria, and you can jump to the one you want, like alt + U for subject may work for jumping right to the subject field.
But you will get better at searching your messages and it will become quite efficient once you get used to the options and the hotkeys.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:44 AM

Susie

Hi Susie,

HTH.

Glenn

Susie Stanzel