ASCII COde, Please

JERRY MARTIN

Morning all.

Using JAWS 2018, MS Word 13 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone provide me with the ascii code for a checkmark? Thanks.

Jerry

JM Casey

Hey jerry.

Your question caused me to do a little bit of research. Some symbols appear to be font dependent when it comes to standard character codes; it looks like the checkmark is one of them. In other words, you will not be able to get this in the standard way using an alt code in most fonts available in Microsoft Windows. It looks like the alt code is 0252, but in most fonts, this will show up as a u diaresis (sp) symbol.

There’s a neat, rather strange, way around this, which avoids having to use the symbols list or library in MS office. I tested this and it seems to work beautifully, but you may be a little bemused.

Try this method.

Go to where you want to insert the checkmark

Type in the numbers 2713 (this is a unicode value)

Now, select those numbers with your cursor.

Now type in alt-x.

The numbers will disappear and be replaced with a checkmark.

Like so

JERRY MARTIN

Jm:

I also did some checking, via the wonderful world of the internet, and there is an alt code for the checkmark in MS Word 13. It is as follows:

Alt 10003.
Thanks for the alternative option, though.

[...]

Sherry Wells

Wow, this is pretty cool – who knew!  I played around with this a bit & using the instructions below, different numbers create different symbols.  For instance typing 2708 instead of 2713, highlighting it & hitting alt x gives you an airplane!

Sherry Wells

[...]

Brian Lee

If your laptop has a number pad then with number lock on hold down Alt and use 010003 followed by a space.  The heavy checkmark symbol is Alt with 010004.

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

Using JAWS 2018, MS Word 13 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone provide me with the ascii code for a checkmark? Thanks.

Jerry

mona

I tried playing with 2713 and 2708, selecting the numbers then typing alt x.  Didn’t work.  What did I do wrong?  I also tried the checkmark and heavy checkmark and they did work.

Thanks in advance

Mona

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

[...]

Strange. Doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. I was going to say that you have to make sure you *select* the number  code, and not just put your cursor on it, but it sounds like you already did this.

[...]

Hi.

I didn’t really know about this either, but it *is* pretty cool. You can get all sorts of symbols this way, and I don’t think you have to mess around with the font, though I can’t be sure that they all show up correctly in all fonts.

[...]

Cool, good to know.

A lot of the places I checcked said you had to change your font to wingdings in order to get the checkmark with the standard alt code, and that just doesn’t seem like a convenient or good option for most people.

[...]

Mona:
Exactly which symbol were you trying to generate? I was searching for a checkmark to denote items I already had at home for a shopping list. The code I used as Alt 10003 and it placed it exactly I needed it to.
Jerry