Topics

jaws stops reading article because of an edit field

Miriam Vieni

There's a newsletter called Truthout and toward the end of each article,
there's a kind of insert where the reader is told that he or she can receive
a daily summary by filling out the following form. There's then a place for
one's email address and , if I remember correctly, a sign up button. Before
my calamitous move to Jaws 2019, I was able to just arrow through that form
quickly and resume reading the rest of the article which continues
underneath it. Now, I can't do that any longer. I'm stuck there. I can't go
back above it and use insert 2 to just read everything. I can't get to the
bottom of the article and arrow up. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Another issue, Jaws is set at intermediate verbosity, where it was before. I
often copy articles and post them on the Blind Democracy list. I have a
routine way of doing that. I've copied the article into the message. I then
go to the top of the message where the title is, copy the title, and shift
tab once to the subject line where I paste the title. I can still do that.
However, Jaws is not saying shift tab as it did before. It says nothing when
I press those 2 keys in that situation.

Another thing it has stopped doing, it doesn't tell me that I'm in the
original message after I've replied to a message. I can find out, but it
almost never tells me that automatically.

Perhaps this is all just a punishment for still having a Windows 7 computer?

Miriam

Adrian Spratt

Try pressing the PC cursor twice quickly.

[...]

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Miriam,

It sounds like your, Forms Mode, is set to turn on automatically when you come to an edit field.  I don't know what setting you prefer, but if you only want the Forms Mode to open when you want it to, let the list know and someone can provide steps.  Or, steps can be provided to transfer your settings from your previous version into this newer Jaws version, if possible depending on which Jaws version you were running previously and if it's still installed.  Transferring your settings would probably be your best option, if possible.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

I had it set to turn the forms mode on automatically before, but this never happened before. Also, the person who was supposed to be helping me and who had to leave, told me it was best to remove the previous version because with Jaws 2019, I didn’t need the previous versions. I wasn’t comfortable with that, but I assumed, at that point, that he knew more than I did.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Miriam, again, try pressing the PC cursor key twice quickly when this happens. I figured you had forms mode set to automatic. You shouldn’t have to change that setting if this is the only problem you’re experiencing with it.

For the record, I find having forms mode set to manual makes navigation easier, but each of us has our own experience to guide us. You’ll find the options in JAWS quick settings, JAWS key+v, while you’re in your browser’s window.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

And if one has trouble getting out of the edit box, you can press the escape key and go on arrowing down the page.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Yes, that worked beautifully.

And yes, I’m beginning to think that I’d like to be able to go into forms mode when I choose, rather than automatically. But if I’m going to change, I need step by step directions like Rebecca gives me because

  1. I’m old and my mind isn’t as agile as it was and
  2. . Even when I was younger, I wasn’t good at this stuff.

When I had some vision, I’d print up emails with direction and read them step by step under my CCTV. Now, I read the emails, writing each step out in braille, and then I follow the directions, one step at a time.

I suppose because of the typical short term memory loss that happens when one ages, I can’t keep the steps in my mind.

Miriam

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Miriam,
Do you get the pong sound when going into and out of an edit field?

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:50 PM

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

Try pressing the PC cursor twice quickly.

Do you get the pong sound when going into and out of an edit field?

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:50 PM

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

I wonder if your computer is low on RAM.
I would try installing an older Jaws and see if it happens with that older version.
Also, which browser are you using when this happens?
Perhaps FireFox or Chrome would be a better choice.
They operate just about exactly the same as IE, and I'm finding IE working less and less well on many sites, and if that is your browser, it could be part of the problem.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 1:59 PM

No.

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Actually, I do get that sound. I just didn’t think of the sound I get as what you called it. Thank goodness, I E is still working for me on all the websites I use because I truly dread having to learn to use a new browser. But very occasionally, I E just gets stuck and I need to reboot the computer to get it to start working again. Someone showed me how to use the task manager, but the fact that it isn’t working, doesn’t always show up in the task manager. So I know that at some point, I’ll have to find someone to show me how to use another browser.

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 1:59 PM

No.

Do you get the pong sound when going into and out of an edit field?

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:50 PM

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Trust me, there is not really anything to learn.
The two main differences I can think of is that favorites in IE is alt + A and in FireFox, they are alt + B for bookmarks, and the other is in IE you do control to open a URL that you type in, and in FireFox and Chrome it's control + L for location.
But you use Jaws commands the same.
Strangely, IE works better sometimes for me, for example, it works better for putting in my weekly job searches on the department of labor, but FireFox and Chrome work better at the same site when I am submitting my contacts for my weekly unemployment check.
One thing I do when having problem with a site, is I do alt + D which places the cursor in the address field, and then I do the copy command, and go to the desktop and open another browser and do control + L or O, depending on the browser and paste in the URL and try it and usually if it is problematic for one browser, it will work well in another.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 2:55 PM

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Larry Volk

When I encounter this problem I just hit escape and I am able to carry on.

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Glenn,

I suspect that downloading books is different. I mean, I know exactly what I’ll hear when I open I E and what I’m supposed to do with My Favorites or when I go to a website or when I download a book. I imagine that there are all sorts of small differences which are not a problem for you, but which would stop me owser with me step by step.

Miriamcold. I’d have to have someone go through learning to use a new br

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 2:55 PM

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 1:59 PM

No.

Do you get the pong sound when going into and out of an edit field?

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:50 PM

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

he nice thing about Chrome is that you don't have to okay a download, once it starts, it goes right into the downloads folder.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 4:33 PM

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Here are steps to turn off Forms Mode, or to say it correctly, put Forms Mode into Manual mode.

Try the following;

1. Insert + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard, to open the Settings Center.

2. Press, Control, Shift, + D, to open Jaws Settings Center Default All Applications.

3. Arrow down to Forms Mode, right arrow to open.

4. Arrow down 1 time, use the spacebar to toggle through these 3 choices auto, Semi Auto and Manual.  When you hear Jaws report, Manual, stop pressing the spacebar since this is the setting you want.

5. Arrow down 2 times to, Manual Forms Mode Settings, right arrow to open.

6. Arrow down 1 time to, Disable Forms Mode when a New page loads, & press the spacebar to check this box.

7. You can arrow down to Forms Mode Sounds, right arrow to open, & select sounds for when forms mode opens / closes if you desire.  If you would like steps for this let the list know and I'll type them up.

8. After you're finished making your changes tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press, Enter, to save your changes & close.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Mike,

This sounds rather complicated and if I mess up, I’ll be in a lot of trouble, especially with those sounds. I do appreciate these wonderful directions and I will hold onto them, but think some more before attempting them.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

Mike and Miriam, the steps are much easier in JAWS quick settings, and they stick. Okay, so here are those steps:

Open Internet Explorer.

Press JAWS key together with v.

Arrow down several times to “Auto forms mode.”

Press spacebar either once or twice until you hear “Manual.”

Tab three times to OK and press the spacebar.

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

[...]

To put the steps Adrian so kindly provided and the steps I posted, in a nutshell.  My steps will work for any browser and Adrian's steps will only work when you use Internet Explorer.

If you decide which way you would like to set-up your computer contact me off list and I would be more than glad to Tandem into your computer and take care of this for you.  It would only take a few minutes

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM