Topics

Windows 10 Serch

Tom Fairhurst

When I search for a word, only a few files are found. For example, I search for trustee, and only three files are found. I know more files on my hard drive contain this word. Search everything doesn’t do much better; it only finds one file. Has anyone else experienced this.

David Bailes

Hi Tom,
If you're using the search box on the Start menu, you often get better results if you search for a specific category of results.

One way of limiting  a search to a category is by typing the category followed by a colon followed by your search terms. For example, if you are looking for a document which is either named fred or contains the word fred, you can type doc:fred. You can use the following words to specify the category which is searched: app, doc, folder, music, photo, setting, video, and web. Where appropriate you can also use the plural form of these words, so for example, you could search using either app:fred or apps:fred. You can also use document rather than doc, if you really want to type the extra letters.
David.

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 09:04 PM, Tom Fairhurst wrote:

When I search for a word, only a few files are found. For example, I search for trustee, and only three files are found. I know more files on my hard drive contain this word. Search everything doesn’t do much better; it only finds one file. Has anyone else experienced this.

Chris

Which windows version ?

When I search for a word, only a few files are found. For example, I search for trustee, and only three files are found. I know more files on my hard drive contain this word. Search everything doesn’t do much better; it only finds one file. Has anyone else experienced this.

Tom Fairhurst

Version 1809

When I search for a word, only a few files are found. For example, I search for trustee, and only three files are found. I know more files on my hard drive contain this word. Search everything doesn’t do much better; it only finds one file. Has anyone else experienced this.

Tom Fairhurst

Thanks. That did the trick

[...]

Cher

Yes, I have much better results by just going to documents and using the control-F search. The windows search is very unsatisfactory.

Cher