Jaws Distorted Speech Problem Has Returned

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

Sometimes when my power cord is not in the socket all the way I get a slurred sound when jaws speaks.

Don’t know if that is what you’re referring to.

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

No, believe me, my power cord is in all the way.

I just got some sighted assistance, and some sort of an intel driver was updated yesterday evening, which is when the problem recurred.

I’m not sure what to do here, short of uninstalling the new driver again, and re-installing the realtech driver.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom Behler

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Glenn / Lenny

Can you set your windows update to only do critical updates?
I'm not sure if that is an available option in 10.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

I don’t know, but I’d sure like to do that because this issue is getting anoying.

This is something Microsoft really needs to address, in my opinion.

Tom Behler

Can you set your windows update to only do critical updates?

I'm not sure if that is an available option in 10.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

When you installed the factory driver it could have put Environment sounds like living room, ballpark or padded cell!  LOL  Anyways, in some these environment sounds there's a lot of reverberation.  If the environment setting didn't change you'll probably need to reinstall the driver Mr. Mote provided to you.

[...]

Mike:

Is there a way to change the environment sounds?

I’d almost like to try to do that before uninstalling and re-installing everything, since the problem will likely recur with future updates.

If not, I’ll certainly do as you suggest.

Tom Behler

[...]

Yes there is.  Try the following:
1. From the desktop press, Windows key + R, to open the Run dialogue and type in, control panel, and press enter.
2. Press the letter, S, to get to, Sound link, and press enter.
3. You should be on the, Playback page, so press the spacebar on the Realtech option to make sure it's selected, now tab to, properties, and press enter.
4. Now, Control + Tab, to the, Enhancements page.  If the environment choices are there you should be in a list of 6 checkboxes.  The 1st one being Environment which should be checked and if it isn't then the environment choices aren't activated or don't exist.  If it's there, but not checked,check this box and tab 1 time.  You should be in a list of different sound effects.  Arrow up / down and as you go from one to another you should hear the differences.  I don't like any reverberation so I use the living room sound effect.  After you make your choice tab to, Okay, press the spacebar and you will be back on the, properties button, so tab to, Okay, and press enter to save and close.  If you still have my number you can call.

[...]

netbat66

try checking in the sound card settings again to see if you have the enhancement control tab now and cee if you have the option to turn off all enhancements. i have this with my realtech driver.

When you installed the factory driver it could have put Environment sounds like living room, ballpark or padded cell! LOL Anyways, in some these environment sounds there's a lot of reverberation. If the environment setting didn't change you'll probably need to reinstall the driver Mr. Mote provided to you.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

From: Tom Behler

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

As was the case the other day, I don’t have the enhancements option in the properties dialog.

I have general, levels, advanced, and spatial sound.

I thought enhancements might be under advanced, but it is not.

Am I missing something?

Tom Behler

[...]

No, you're not missing anything.  I've ran the Realtech driver on one of our computers and it didn't install the enhancements or equalizer package but, it did make Realtech sound better.  The Enhancement page would be before the Advanced page in the Control + Tab order.

[...]

chris judge

Speaking of Microsoft, have you tried calling the disability support folks to see if they have a solution?

[...]

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi Tom,
Did you look in spatial sound?
Just a thought!

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

[...]

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.

Can you set your windows update to only do critical updates?

I'm not sure if that is an available option in 10.

You may recall that last week, I had a Jaws distorted speech problem with my
Dell Windows 10 computer.

The problem was fixed by uninstalling the Windows generic sound card driver
and replacing it with a realtech driver thanks to an executable file from
Mike Mote.

Unfortunately, my problem has returned, but in a different form.

My jaws speech is slightly distorted in the laptop speakers, and when I use
headphones, I get stereo sound with a slight reverberation, rather than Jaws
being in the center of the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this latest issue?

I’m using the latest build of Jaws 2019.

Thanks as always.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

michaeel's mail

Hi Tom i am not sure if your sound issue is same as mine.

I have had an issue off and on for about 2 years now on only 2 of my cheaper Laptops.

My issue is out of the blue jaws will be talking fine then all of a sudden jaws witll get really reverby and little un responsive.

And i need to do a restart of my computer and the sound is all back to normal.

But my issue can happen 3 times in half hour.

Or it may not stuff up for days.

2 years ago i did a total reinstalled windows 10 on 1 machine and it fixed it for ages.

Then few months back it started up again.

Each time this happens i have found under my reliability history in win 10 tells me their was a error saying windows host process has stopped working or not responding and had to close.

I have had stacks of thoes errors come up.

Most reports have been reported to Microsoft but no fixes.

And i have reinstalled the realteck audio drivers lots of times by uninstalling drivers under devices.

So i am frustrated as well.

I have 3 dearer laptops with Realteck sound cards and never had a problem with them.

I feel its something to do with the drivers.

Cheers Michael.

--
sent from mazilla thunderbird

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi Michael,
When this problem occurs, how many programs or windows do you have open?
Also, how much ram is installed on your system?

[...]

I have had this problem, I don't think it is the same as Tom's.
My Jaws speech will slow down and sound like a Silon (battle star galactica), and then I lose all audio, again, with a realtech driver.
I think it might be a hardware issue.
Windows 7 64 bit on an Intel NUC, 8GB of RAM.
This has happened with many versions of Jaws, 15 through 2019.

Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 5:51 AM

[...]

I certainly will do this if I can’t get the other realtech driver to work.

Tom Behler

[...]

Yes, I did. ... turning it on or off made no difference.

Tom Behler

[...]

Hi Glen it  sounds like the same issue i am having.
My sound does that and if i do not restart machine i lose the sound.
I have been having this for 2 years.
And its not a jaws issue i have been just playing music or useing another screen reader On and it does the same.

Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 5:51 AM

[...]

Michael Fridey

Glenn / Lenny

Interestingly, I have plugged in USB sound cards that have been plugged in before, so those drivers had already been gathered, but that does not help.
I erroneously thought plugging in an external USB card when this happens would give me sound.