How to activate Chrome's new reader mode?

Dennis L

Hi, in chrome Canary there is a reader mode you have to enable it first.   After this is done is there a keyboard short cut to enable it?    The article is below

The desktop version of Google Chrome’s browser is getting a reader mode, which can be used to strip out a page’s unnecessary background clutter to make an article easier to read. ZDNet notes that the feature launched today in Chrome’s experimental Canary release, and it should make its way to more stable versions of the browser in the future.

Reader modes have become a standard browser feature. Safari added its reader mode in 2010, and Firefox and Microsoft’s Edge browser have had one since at least 2015. All three allow you to change the color of the background of the page and adjust the font size to whatever is most comfortable to read.

The new reader mode isn’t entirely new for Chrome. It’s existed for a while in the Android version of the app where it’s called “Simplified view,” and it can be turned on from the browser’s accessibility menu. The desktop version’s reader mode is a renamed port of this accessibility option, as noted in a bug report that was spotted back in February.

If you want to enable the new functionality, then you’ll need to use an up-to-date version of Chrome’s experimental Canary release. Head over to “chrome://flags/#enable-reader-mode” toggle the feature on, and restart your browser. You can then put a page into reader mode by clicking the settings button on the top right of the browser and selecting “Distill page.”

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Dennis,

See if this helps:
It is called, just read!
Just press the Alt to open the virticle menu, go to more sub menu, and go to extensions.
You can go to the store on that page, and just type in Just Read, and that extension will come right up.
Just have that install to Chrome, go back to the extensions page, and make sure that is activated in your list of extensions that you have on Chrome!
It does indeed work great with CTRL+Shift+L!
I hope that helps.
Please ask again, if that doesn’t work!
David Moore

[...]

No mike that doesn’t help.  In chrome Canary Chrome built in their own reader view.

[...]

What's the difference between the Cnary and regular versions of Chrome?  Why would the Canary version be chosen over the regular version of Chrome?  How does someone get the Canary version?

[...]

It has the newest and future features that will come to Chrome.  Try this link.

https://www.google.com/chrome/canary/

[...]

Thank you very much.  I'm running the latest version of Chrome, how much better would Canary be?

[...]

Okay I installed it and it lookslike the new Microsoft Edge Chromium in Windows 10.  Thanks much for the headsup.

[...]

Jim Pursley

Canary in the coal mine?

On 5/6/2019 1:55 AM, Dennis L wrote:

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Yes, the very opening of that article says Canary can be unstable, the last thing a JAWS user needs.

Curious thing about that phrase. The canary doesn’t signal impending disaster when it starts singing. It’s when it’s stopped singing that miners knew there was a problem because it meant the canary had run out of oxygen. In light of the instability warning, Jim’s caution is just right.

[...]

Does anyone know if there is a keyboard short cut to launch distill page mode which is there reader mode.

[...]

Canary gives you a sneak peak of latest features.  I have ran it with no issues. Note it is not my default browser nor would I make it such.

[...]

I've installed it and run it with no problems.  This Chrome Canary version and the new Microsoft Edge Chromium look identical as far as I can tell.  I have the Google Chrome Canary on my Windows 7 computer and the MS Edge Chromium on my Widows 10 computer, and both versions work well with Jaws.

[...]

Can you set up a keyboard short cut for the reader mode?

[...]

See if this answers your question:

[...]

No Just read is a separate extension from the default one found in chrome Canary.

[...]

Casey

Hi where can you get the windows seven new down load that you are running?

And do you recommend uninstalling google chrome first and then installing the new version that you are running?

Or did you just install it right over the top and it runs just fine?

--

Casey

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Casey,

The Canary version installs as a totally different browser called Google Chrome Canary on the desktop.  Click on the link below and press the letter, B, 1 time to navigate to the first button which is the download button.

[...]

Hi so then once you install the new google then you can still run the old one or delete it or does it remove the old google chrome when you install the new one?

So do you use this new google as your default browser or what do you use for that?

On 5/12/2019 8:26 AM, Mike B wrote:
[...]

Holger Fiallo <hfiallo@...>

I installed it and I think it replace my old google and added a desktop title google chrome Regarding reader I could not find any extention call reader.

[...]

I would not set as default.