Topics

Jaws and Stascom

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Only in if your audio gets muted or turned down, you have built-in
hotkeys to get the volume back.
Also, it maximizes all windows, which often makes Jaws work better.

I love Stascom's conveniences, but I looked forward to using hotkeys to insert accents and other special characters and can find none. Neither the hotkey reference nor any other program documentation actually list these hotkeys.

chris judge

I haven’t played with a lot. BTW, please disregard my last comment regarding this matter. I figured out how to reassign the stascome modifier key.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of BB
Sent: April 23, 2019 10:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws and Stascom

Does this program in any way enhance Jaws?

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:37 AM

Hence forth the voice it uses. I have been using the program for quite some time already and it has served me well.

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:42 AM

Hi David,

I only have Microsoft Anna on my Windows 7 desktop.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:16 AM

It uses your default SAPII speech engine. Mine uses David since that is my default.

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 10:36 PM

To: Jaws-Users-List

Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws and Stascom

Hi All,

I'm giving this Stascom program a go and so far I like it but, I get this message when doing certain tasks like restarting the computer:

Alert
Stascom was unable to speak a notification through the selected SAPI5
engine. Please choose a different engine from the Stascom Configuration
Manager under "Notification settings."

The only option I get is Microsoft Anna in the notification settings.  Can anyone tell the list how to change to a different speech engine / synthesizer than the SAPI5 Microsoft Anna?  All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

David Ferrin
Marriage is the process of finding out what kind of man your wife would have preferred.

David Ferrin
Marriage is the process of finding out what kind of man your wife would have preferred.

chris judge

I love the program. The only thing I’m finding is that some of the keystrokes conflict with outlook. If I have outlook opened, for instance, and attempt to move to the calendar with control 2, the contact manager in stascom is launched. Does anyone know if the keystrokes can be reassigned?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: April 23, 2019 7:16 PM

Hi Vicky,

Different people will get various uses from this program.  Below  is a list of its features.  So far I like the, Reminders, feature but, I'm sure the more I use it there will be more that I'll like.

What to know before installing the program

Please refer to the user guide, see the link further down, for installation instructions. It is recommended that users of older versions of the program
familiarise themselves with the changes implemented in 2017.1.7.

SUMMARY OF PROGRAM FEATURES
Automation for the following tasks, all features customisable
list of 5 items
• Sound recovery on default audio device, preventing mute status and low volume. Recovery volume level configurable between 5 and 100 percent;
• day / night volume adjustment on a schedule, volume levels and time slots customisable;
• maximising of windows, option available for specifying window title exceptions;
• time announcements on the hour, on the half and on the quarter hour, chime with speech, chime only or disabled, all 24 hours configurable. Option to
specify user preferred chime sounds;
• all automated functions can be enabled or disabled, with detailed configuration options available to suit individual needs.
list end

Individual hot keys for the following features
list of 10 items
• Open user guide in default browser;
• generate summary report of user settings;
• configuration window to specify user specific preferences for all features;
• temporarily unload program from memory;
• audio mixer input and output details;
• password generator, unique 10 character very strong password with each keystroke;
• calculation of word count on selected text in any editor or virtual buffer rendered text;
• extensive alphabetic list of Windows basic and advanced settings and applications;
• Increasing and decreasing master volume output with 5 percent increments, ascending / descending audio tones to indicate new level.
• Easily insert accented and other special characters in any editor.
list end

General program characteristics
list of 9 items
• Automatic online check for program updates, can be disabled if desired. Manual check for updates option available;
• support for multiple user profiles on one system;
• status messages and time announcements via user preferred SAPI5 engine;
• user-friendly interface for changing SAPI5 voice parameters;
• support for same SAPI5 engine used with screen reader and program messages;
• optimised for NVDA screen reader;
• included dictionary file for NVDA to translate emoji symbols;
• small footprint;
• comprehensive user guide in HTML format.
list end    

Take care.  Mike.  Sennt from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Weinberg's Second Law: If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed civilization.

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:46 AM

Hi Mike, What is the Stascom program supposed to do and what about it particularly intrigues you?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 10:37 PM
To: Jaws-Users-List <jaws-users-list@groups.io>

Hi All,

I'm giving this Stascom program a go and so far I like it but, I get this message when doing certain tasks like restarting the computer:

Alert

The only option I get is Microsoft Anna in the notification settings.  Can anyone tell the list how to change to a different speech engine / synthesizer than the SAPI5 Microsoft Anna?  All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Glenn / Lenny

Only in if your audio gets muted or turned down, you have built-in hotkeys to get the volume back.
Also, it maximizes all windows, which often makes Jaws work better.
Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:48 PM

Hence forth the voice it uses. I have been using the program for quite some time already and it has served me well.

Hi David,

It uses your default SAPII speech engine. Mine uses David since that is my default.

Hi All,

Alert

David Ferrin

David Ferrin

BB <Berniece1910@...>

Hi David,

Hi All,

Alert

David Ferrin

David Ferrin

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Vicky,

Different people will get various uses from this program.  Below  is a list of its features.  So far I like the, Reminders, feature but, I'm sure the more I use it there will be more that I'll like.

What to know before installing the program

Please refer to the user guide, see the link further down, for installation instructions. It is recommended that users of older versions of the program
familiarise themselves with the changes implemented in 2017.1.7.

SUMMARY OF PROGRAM FEATURES
Automation for the following tasks, all features customisable
list of 5 items
• Sound recovery on default audio device, preventing mute status and low volume. Recovery volume level configurable between 5 and 100 percent;
• day / night volume adjustment on a schedule, volume levels and time slots customisable;
• maximising of windows, option available for specifying window title exceptions;
• time announcements on the hour, on the half and on the quarter hour, chime with speech, chime only or disabled, all 24 hours configurable. Option to
specify user preferred chime sounds;
• all automated functions can be enabled or disabled, with detailed configuration options available to suit individual needs.
list end

Individual hot keys for the following features
list of 10 items
• Open user guide in default browser;
• generate summary report of user settings;
• configuration window to specify user specific preferences for all features;
• temporarily unload program from memory;
• audio mixer input and output details;
• password generator, unique 10 character very strong password with each keystroke;
• calculation of word count on selected text in any editor or virtual buffer rendered text;
• extensive alphabetic list of Windows basic and advanced settings and applications;
• Increasing and decreasing master volume output with 5 percent increments, ascending / descending audio tones to indicate new level.
• Easily insert accented and other special characters in any editor.
list end

General program characteristics
list of 9 items
• Automatic online check for program updates, can be disabled if desired. Manual check for updates option available;
• support for multiple user profiles on one system;
• status messages and time announcements via user preferred SAPI5 engine;
• user-friendly interface for changing SAPI5 voice parameters;
• support for same SAPI5 engine used with screen reader and program messages;
• optimised for NVDA screen reader;
• included dictionary file for NVDA to translate emoji symbols;
• small footprint;
• comprehensive user guide in HTML format.
list end    

Take care.  Mike.  Sennt from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Weinberg's Second Law: If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed civilization.

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:46 AM

Hi Mike, What is the Stascom program supposed to do and what about it particularly intrigues you?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Hi All,

Alert

Virus-free. www.avg.com

David Ferrin

Hi David,

Hi All,

Alert

David Ferrin

David Ferrin

Vicky Vaughan

Sincerely, Vicky V

Hi All,

Alert

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi David,

Hi All,

Alert

David Ferrin

David Ferrin

Hi All,

Alert

David Ferrin

Glenn / Lenny

I may have installed VW Paul a long time ago.

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 10:45 PM

Hi Glenn,

I press, Control + 7, to open the configuration manager then go to, notification voice parameters, and I have no other options than Microsoft Anna.  I press, Control + Backspace, to find other settings options but, I can't find any other settings option to change the speech engine.  I' running Windows 7 and J16 at the moment.  Thank you for your input.

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 8:08 PM

Mike,
If you run Stascome from the start menu, you can arrow down to configuration manager, and down the list is notification voice parameters.
There you can select a voice and more.
Glenn
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 10:04 PM

Hi Mike,
I just looked at my Stascom configuration report, and it reads that my speech engine is VW Paul
Interesting report with a surprising amount of detail...
Stascom 2019 configuration report

Report generated on Monday, 22 April 2019 at 21:59

The main categories in this document are on level 2 headings. Where applicable, sub-categories are on level 3 headings.

-----

System information
list of 13 items
• Computer type: desktop
• Manufacturer: INTEL_
• Model: NUC5PPYB
• Serial number: 00371-OEM-9308404-21662
• Number of processors: 4
• Total physical memory: 5.92GB
• Free physical memory: 1.38GB
• Total virtual memory: 11.84GB
• Free virtual memory: 7.56GB
• OS version: WIN_7 (64 bit)
• Installation date: 24 January 2016 at 21:06:28
• Most recent system boot: 22 April 2019 at 10:54:37
• Logged on user: Lenny
list end
-----

General
list of 8 items
• Stascom 2019 compile date: 10 March 2019
• Run program at startup: enabled
• Program / dashboard shortcut on desktop: enabled
• Program / dashboard shortcut in StartMenu: enabled
• Copy word count result to clipboard: disabled
• Hotkeys for inserting accented and other special characters: enabled
• Automatically maximise application windows: enabled
• Modifiers for program hotkeys:
list of 2 items nesting level 1
• Modifier for home row 1 to 0 hotkeys: Control
• Volume adjustment with 5% intervals: Control+Windows+up / down arrow
list end nesting level 1
list end
-----

Birthday and memo reminders
list of 2 items
• Birthday and memo reminder alerts: audio and text
• If a reminder dialogue has not been acknowledged, repeat audio alert every 15 minutes: enabled
list end
-----

Program sounds
list of 5 items
• Birthday reminder sound: C:\Program Files\Stascom2019\audio\bd\hb.mp3
• Memo reminder sound: C:\Program Files\Stascom2019\audio\mr\mr.mp3
• On the hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheHourChime.mp3
• On the half hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheHalfHourChime.mp3
• On the quarter hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheQuarterHourChime.mp3
list end
-----

Program notifications
list of 4 items
• Selected voice: VW Paul
• Speech rate: 1
• Volume level: 100%
• Personal name for program notifications: Glenn
list end
-----

Audio output
list of 6 items
• Default output device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
• master volume level: 100.00%
• Minimum volume level: 5%
• Normalise volume level: 50%
• Low volume correction: disabled
• Scheduled volume adjustment: disabled
list end
-----

Time announcements
list of 3 items
• On the hour: chime and speech
• On the half hour: disabled
• On the quarter hour: disabled
list end
-----

Active hours
list of 24 items
• Midnight
• 01:00
• 02:00
• 03:00
• 04:00
• 05:00
• 06:00
• 07:00
• 08:00
• 09:00
• 10:00
• 11:00
• 12:00
• 13:00
• 14:00
• 15:00
• 16:00
• 17:00
• 18:00
• 19:00
• 20:00
• 21:00
• 22:00
• 23:00
list end
-----

End of report
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 9:36 PM

Hi All,

Alert

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Glenn,

I press, Control + 7, to open the configuration manager then go to, notification voice parameters, and I have no other options than Microsoft Anna.  I press, Control + Backspace, to find other settings options but, I can't find any other settings option to change the speech engine.  I' running Windows 7 and J16 at the moment.  Thank you for your input.

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 8:08 PM

Mike,
If you run Stascome from the start menu, you can arrow down to configuration manager, and down the list is notification voice parameters.
Glenn

Hi Mike,
I just looked at my Stascom configuration report, and it reads that my speech engine is VW Paul

The main categories in this document are on level 2 headings. Where applicable, sub-categories are on level 3 headings.

-----

System information
list of 13 items
list end
-----

General
list of 8 items
list end nesting level 1
list end
-----

list of 2 items
• If a reminder dialogue has not been acknowledged, repeat audio alert every 15 minutes: enabled
list end
-----

Program sounds
list of 5 items
• On the hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheHourChime.mp3
• On the half hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheHalfHourChime.mp3
• On the quarter hour chime sound: c:\program files\Stascom2019\audio\hc\OnTheQuarterHourChime.mp3
list end
-----

Program notifications
list of 4 items
list end
-----

Audio output
list of 6 items
list end
-----

Time announcements
list of 3 items
list end
-----

Active hours
list of 24 items
• Midnight
list end
-----

End of report

Hi All,

Alert

Glenn / Lenny

Mike,
Glenn

Hi Mike,

-----

System information
list of 13 items
list end
-----

General
list of 8 items
list end nesting level 1
list end
-----

list of 2 items
list end
-----

Program sounds
list of 5 items
list end
-----

Program notifications
list of 4 items
list end
-----

Audio output
list of 6 items
list end
-----

Time announcements
list of 3 items
list end
-----

Active hours
list of 24 items
• Midnight
list end
-----

End of report

Hi All,

Alert

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,

-----

System information
list of 13 items
list end
-----

General
list of 8 items
list end nesting level 1
list end
-----

list of 2 items
list end
-----

Program sounds
list of 5 items
list end
-----

Program notifications
list of 4 items
list end
-----

Audio output
list of 6 items
list end
-----

Time announcements
list of 3 items
list end
-----

Active hours
list of 24 items
• Midnight
list end
-----

End of report

Hi All,

Alert

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Mike,
I had that option of choosing synthesizers when it was ran for the first time.
Perhaps in its configuration manager.
I believe it can only choose from the synthesizers on your computer.
Mine picked a voice I did not even know that I had installed, it is one similar to the default male voice on the iPhone.
I'll poke around and see if I can find the setting.

Glenn

Hi All,

Alert

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Alert