From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: April 21, 2019 2:12 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS and the Mueller Report

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Dave... <dgcarlson@...>

Adrian,

Do you have Openbook, or another OCR program? That may be necessary to process such a large PDF file.

In the other version that shows constant headings, have you tried to save it as a plain text file?

Dave

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:12

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

If you have an iPhone, the $5.99 Voice Dream Scanner processed all 448 pages in about 5 minutes, but you still are going to have all the distracting text.
Richard

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:12

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Hareth

This one is word searchable, readable via Acrobat Reader, I've Tested
it on my PC
https://thebulwark.com/app/uploads/2019/04/report.pdf
Best

On 4/21/19, Adrian Spratt <adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
Let me be clear: I'm not trying to start a political discussion!
I've searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that's easy for
JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each
of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that's very distracting. I've
also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it's an "empty
document," and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can't get past page
182 without getting hung. I've tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the
report?
Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is
apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Adrian Spratt

Thanks, Hareth. This one does read fine in Adobe.

Let me be clear: I'm not trying to start a political discussion!
I've searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that's easy
for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied,
but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that's very
distracting. I've also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS
says it's an "empty document," and so I initiate Convenient OCR.
However, it can't get past page
182 without getting hung. I've tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of
the report?
Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is
apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Adrian Spratt

Yes, I want the file in word processing format so I can search for and delete unneeded repeateated text.

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:12

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Adrian Spratt

Thanks, Dave. Yes, this experience made me realize I need to install my OCR program on this new computer.

I just now manage to download a completely accessible version of the report from the NY Times, which I’d tried before without success. I don’t know if they updated the option or I just didn’t get it right. I hope it’s the whole report. At over 1,000 pages, as it appears in Word, I hope so. The original 448 pages was going to be hard enough.

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:12

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Adrian Spratt

Ha! Newer isn’t always better.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro on this machine. It’s an old version (prior to a lot of the accessibility improvements in DC, in fact), but one thing it does have is its own oCR function.

It has the unfortunate habit of completely locking up my pC while it’s processing, but I know for a fact it can work with big files, since I OCR’d an entire textbook and several books about film using this method.

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

netbat66

try uploading the file to
robobraille.org
to convert the file to a readable format.

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

JM Casey

Ah, so true.

You’ve had a lot of suggestions here, but if you want me to try processing the pdf, I can; just send it over.

[...]

Yeah, good luck reading all that. I don’t know if it’ll leave you feeling more informed or just kind of angry. J

Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2019 11:12

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Ann Byrne

I use OpenBook when convenient OCR can't do it.

At 01:12 PM 4/21/2019, you wrote:
Let me be clear: I'm not trying to start a political discussion!
I've searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that's easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that's very distracting. I've also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it's an "empty document," and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can't get past page 182 without getting hung. I've tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?
Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Dale Heltzer

I haven’t figured out how to make the .PDF version readable with JAWS. Back in the day, NLS made the 9-11 Commission Report available, so I would imagine they will do the same for Mueller’s.

Good luck.

---

Dale E. Heltzer

deheltzer@...

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Russ

Bookshare has it in daisy form.

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Russ

I got it from bookshare.

Let me be clear: I’m not trying to start a political discussion!

I’ve searched the Web for a version of the Mueller Report that’s easy for JAWS to read. On more than one website, the entire text is copied, but each of the 440+ pages has a lot of heading text that’s very distracting. I’ve also downloaded the PDF file of the report. JAWS says it’s an “empty document,” and so I initiate Convenient OCR. However, it can’t get past page 182 without getting hung. I’ve tried three times.

So, two questions. First, has anyone here found a readable version of the report?

Second, more broadly, has anyone found a solution when a PDF file is apparently too big for JAWS Convenient OCR to process?

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

thanks Russ,
The bookshare copy is one by the Washington Post with Analysis by Post reporters before each document, so is about 6 hours longer than just the report. It can be read by Jaws using their DAISY reader or by getting it in a different format.
Richard