Topics

Update Screen Inquiry

JERRY MARTIN

Evening all.

Using jaws 2018 on a Dell laptop with Windows 10, I had a screen come up that said, “We have an update for you”. I used the jaws cursor to try to find out more information on it i.e. where it came from, etc. But it would not say anything except blank. Has anyone ever come across such a thing, and if so, what are the recommendations. I pressed the not right now button, and it went away. Thanks much.

Jerry

Mike B. <mbrunner5702@...>

Hi Jerry,

Did you check Windows Update to see if there's an update for your computer?  I checked and there isn't an update for J2018 available.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:00 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Update Screen Inquiry

Evening all.

Using jaws 2018 on a Dell laptop with Windows 10, I had a screen come up that said, “We have an update for you”. I used the jaws cursor to try to find out more information on it i.e. where it came from, etc. But it would not say anything except blank. Has anyone ever come across such a thing, and if so, what are the recommendations. I pressed the not right now button, and it went away. Thanks much.

Jerry

netbat66

your right. this dialog has never talked. it just says zero in the list. i have to use narrator or n v d a to read this dialog.
what good is it if jaws won't read it?
when there is a update it will list the version update and a checkbox you check then tab to ok or is it install. then the update will download.
you have to unload all screen readers and wait until the installation starts. then the setup will self talk from that point on.

-----Original Message-----
To: jaws-users-list

Evening all.

Jerry

netbat66

i got a jaws 18 update too about 2 months ago. even though it is a outdated version.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:07 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Update Screen Inquiry

Hi Jerry,

Did you check Windows Update to see if there's an update for your computer? I checked and there isn't an update for J2018 available.
Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.

Evening all.

Jerry

JERRY MARTIN

I went into the systray, and there was no indicator for an update ... unless I was supposed to check somewhere else. Thanks.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:07 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Update Screen Inquiry

Hi Jerry,

Did you check Windows Update to see if there's an update for your computer?  I checked and there isn't an update for J2018 available.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Evening all.

Jerry

Van Lant, Robin

I got a message like that last night on my windows 10 laptop.  I was on a long phone call, so I didn’t really do anything with it and it seemed to do something to my computer, because it restarted.  I later got the JAWS 2019 update, which looked different.  I guess the first one was  some sort of Windows update.  I wonder if Convenient OCR of the Screen would have read the message.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:00 PM
To: jaws-users-list <jaws-users-list@groups.io>

Evening all.

Jerry

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

John Gassman <johngassman@...>

Microsoft has made changes resulting in the JAWS cursor no longer being able to give you information on the screen especially in windows 7 and 10.
FS is working on consolidating the cursors to help give you more information but it will take time.
John
At 04:00 PM 3/13/2019, you wrote:
Evening all.

Using jaws 2018 on a Dell laptop with Windows 10, I had a screen come up that said, “We have an update for youâ€&#65533;. I used the jaws cursor to try to find out more information on it i.e. where it came from, etc. But it would not say anything except blank. Has anyone ever come across such a thing, and if so, what are the recommendations. I pressed the not right now button, and it went away. Thanks much.

Jerry

JAWS Certified, 2014.
http://www.FreedomScientific.com/Certification