Topics

Outlook 2016 Question About Reading E-mail Fields

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I used to be able to read the various fields in an open Outlook 2016 e-mail message using the alt key, followed by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..

This now no longer works.

Whenever I hit these key combinations, I get an “unavailable” message.

Does anyone know if something has changed to no longer make this possible, and is there a work-around?

I also find shif-tabbing through the various fields to be very unreliable.

I’m using Windows 10, Office 365, and the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Reed Poynter

Hi Tom,

I’m using The current version of Windows 10, Outlook 2016 and the most recent version of JAWS.  These key combos still work for me in an open message that I’ve received.

They, of course and never have, don’t work in an open message that I am creating.

Reed

I used to be able to read the various fields in an open Outlook 2016 e-mail message using the alt key, followed by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..

This now no longer works.

Whenever I hit these key combinations, I get an “unavailable” message.

Does anyone know if something has changed to no longer make this possible, and is there a work-around?

I also find shif-tabbing through the various fields to be very unreliable.

I’m using Windows 10, Office 365, and the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

DGH

Still works good for me.

I used to be able to read the various fields in an open Outlook 2016 e-mail message using the alt key, followed by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..

This now no longer works.

Whenever I hit these key combinations, I get an “unavailable” message.

Does anyone know if something has changed to no longer make this possible, and is there a work-around?

I also find shif-tabbing through the various fields to be very unreliable.

I’m using Windows 10, Office 365, and the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Reed:

I just tried the key combinations on your message, and on this reply, and alt 1, 2, and 3 don’t work.

I’ll check further, but it almost seems to vary with the message.

It’s very strange.

Tom Behler

[...]

Make sure your screen is maximized.

Alt Space X

I’m using The current version of Windows 10, Outlook 2016 and the most recent version of JAWS.  These key combos still work for me in an open message that I’ve received.

They, of course and never have, don’t work in an open message that I am creating.

Reed

I used to be able to read the various fields in an open Outlook 2016 e-mail message using the alt key, followed by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..

This now no longer works.

Whenever I hit these key combinations, I get an “unavailable” message.

Does anyone know if something has changed to no longer make this possible, and is there a work-around?

I also find shif-tabbing through the various fields to be very unreliable.

I’m using Windows 10, Office 365, and the latest build of Jaws 2019 here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Adrian Spratt

I’m also finding some inconsistency. However, you can pretty much rely on reaching each of those fields by holding down the alt key and pressing the number twice quickly, e.g., alt and 2-2. These are the keystrokes for not just reading, but actually landing in, the field you want. Not ideal, but they enable you to move around a message pretty fast.

[...]

I made sure the screen was maximized, but Alt 1, 2, and 3 still say unavailable when an e-mail message is open.

Tom Behler

[...]

                              Adrian:

I just tried this strategy, but had no luck.

Once again, the first three fields are the ones that seem to be affected most often.

I can’t access them with alt 1, 2, or 3, or by doing an alt and hitting each respective number twice.

The message I get says “unavailable”.

I noticed this problem within the last few days.

Tom Behler

[...]

Dennis L

Tom didn’t you say you’re using office 365?  If you are are you sure it didn’t update to 2019?

[...]

No, I am not totally sure it didn’t update to 2019.

But, I solved the issue by turning off the features coming soon function, according to some great instructions I was just givben.

Tom Behler

[...]

Mr. Ed

Hi Tom,

I am sure you probably are doing this but are you using the 1,2,3, etc. on the number row while holding down the alt key? It will not work with the number key pad. Just to make sure.

Mr. Ed

[...]

andy t

Hello Mr.Ed, you forgot to say that you have to be in an open email body. This will not work when an email is highlighted and the alt key must be held down because if you mash it and release it you will be in the ribbons.

[...]

And what were those instructions, Tom?

[...]

Could you please share the instructions with the list?  I personally suspect that it updated to 2019 that is my own guess for what it is worth.  I base that on 365 updates automatically if I remember correctly.

[...]

CJ &AA MAY

I have the same issue.

Alison

[...]

chris judge

So is office 365 suppose to update to 2019 automatically? I’ve been subscribed for 2 years now, and 2019 has been out for quite some time, but mine hasn’t updated. Still using 2016.

[...]

Here are the instructions I have saved.  I modified them to fit what works here, so hopefully, they will help others.

Tom Behler

Instructions for restoring fields in an e-mail message if they disappear

If e-mail message fields disappear, and are not able to be accessed with the alt 1, 2, 3 commands, etc., you must turn off features coming soon.

To do this, put focus on your in-box, and then hit the alt key to get to the home menu.

Then, arrow left once or twice, and you should get to the check box to turn this function on or off.

If it says “turn features coming soon off”, you know it’s on.  Just un-check the box, and you should be ok.

Note:  You will have to re-start Outlook for the change to take effect.

[...]

Dennis:

I just shared the instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom Behler

[...]

Chris and all:

How can you tell what version of Outlook you are using?

I am subscribed to Office 365, and I think I still have Outlook 2016, but would like to verify that.

The usual Alt H A command doesn’t give me this information.

Tom Behler

[...]

Janie Degenshein

Insert q will give you  some info I believe Tom