From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: March 7, 2019 12:55 PM
To: jaws-users-list <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] Files and Folders in Documents Folder

Morning all.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

jyandt.martin@...

Thanks. Okay. I followed your instructions. I went through the general tab, security, shortcut and details tabs, and there was no information on file/folder quantities. What next?

You can place your cursor on the folder or library, hit alt-enter and open the properties box. This will tell you how many files and folders it contains, the size in kilobytes, etc.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

JM Casey

Hi Jerry.

It’s right there in your general tab. Use your jaws cursor to read the box or hit insert-b if you feel like listening to a lot of extra chatter. J

Thanks. Okay. I followed your instructions. I went through the general tab, security, shortcut and details tabs, and there was no information on file/folder quantities. What next?

You can place your cursor on the folder or library, hit alt-enter and open the properties box. This will tell you how many files and folders it contains, the size in kilobytes, etc.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

CJ &AA MAY

When I open my documents it tells me 1 of 48. Do you want more information than this?

Alison

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

JM Casey

That’s not always 100% accurate, and it also doesn’t differentiate between files and folders.

The info he wants is in the properties, which can be accessed with either alt-enter or by using the context menu.

When I open my documents it tells me 1 of 48. Do you want more information than this?

Alison

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

jyandt.martin@...

Allison:

When I open the folder, it says “1 of 28”, but I know that I have at least twice as many. Thanks to you and J.

When I open my documents it tells me 1 of 48. Do you want more information than this?

Alison

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

Rebecca Lineberger

JAWS only sometimes gives me the total number of folders or files.  Most of the time the number seems to be the number showing on the screen:  26 instead of the 49 folders I actually have.

Narrator gives both, and Window-Eyes gives only the total.  As has been said, you can go to properties and press insert-b to have the dialog box read, but it’s even quicker to read the status line, which lists just the total number of folders, or files within the folder.

Vispero has said that at some point they will make JAWS give the total number of items, but perhaps if more people request it, it will show that there is a greater desire among users for the information.  Some people seem to get it consistently but others not.

Having had an item count in Window-Eyes, folder or file name, 1 of 49, 5 of 49, etc., as I arrow down the list, I miss this information in JAWS.

When I open the folder, it says “1 of 28”, but I know that I have at least twice as many. Thanks to you and J.

When I open my documents it tells me 1 of 48. Do you want more information than this?

Alison

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

Ann Byrne

Insert+numpad 3 should give you more accurate information. With insert+tab I hear "1 of 23", but with insert+numpad 3 I hear 650.

When I open the folder, it says “1 of 28â€&#65533;, but I know that I have at least twice as many. Thanks to you and J.

When I open my documents it tells me 1 of 48. Do you want more information than this?
Alison

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:
“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

Mr. Ed

Hi,

I went to my documents folder and entered on the properties tab. I went through all six tabs and found nothing about size or number of folders. I am using W10 and Jaws 19. I went to my documents folder through this pc.

What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Ed

You can place your cursor on the folder or library, hit alt-enter and open the properties box. This will tell you how many files and folders it contains, the size in kilobytes, etc.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

Rebecca Lineberger

When you press alt-enter to bring up properties, all you need do then is to press insert-b for JAWS to read the dialogue box.  Just sit back and listen.

If you don’t want to hear all the extra stuff, as soon as you press insert-b, virtualize the window with insert-alt-w.  Now you can arrow through the text with your up and down arrow keys, or left and right arrows or any of the other combinations we use for reading by letter, word or line.  You can also copy and paste.

Press escape to get out of the virtualized window and escape again to get back to your folder or file list.

Rebecca

I went to my documents folder and entered on the properties tab. I went through all six tabs and found nothing about size or number of folders. I am using W10 and Jaws 19. I went to my documents folder through this pc.

What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Ed

You can place your cursor on the folder or library, hit alt-enter and open the properties box. This will tell you how many files and folders it contains, the size in kilobytes, etc.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

JM Casey

I usually just use the jaws cursor; it seems quick. Routing isn’t necessary. Just hit numpad-minus – my cursor is usually at the top of the box, and reading down a few lines shows all the necessary data.

For some reason some people have issues using JAWS cursor in Windows 10; 9 times out of 10 it still works for me, though, and if it seems to be stuck, then yes, routing the PC sometimes does the trick of “un-sticking” it.

I went to my documents folder and entered on the properties tab. I went through all six tabs and found nothing about size or number of folders. I am using W10 and Jaws 19. I went to my documents folder through this pc.

What am I doing wrong?

Mr. Ed

You can place your cursor on the folder or library, hit alt-enter and open the properties box. This will tell you how many files and folders it contains, the size in kilobytes, etc.

Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop, can anyone tell me the procedure for finding out how many files and folders I would have in the My Documents folder? Many thanks.

Jerry

Found on a T-Shirt at WalMart:

“Of course your opinion matters ... just not to me!

JM Casey

It sounds like maybe you just tabbed through instead of reading what was in the box.

Hitting tab key will just take you to checkboxes for file attributes. It doesn’t actually get the screen-reader to read what’s there. You need to hit insert-b, or use your JAWS cursor