Topics

Any suggestions on how to restore or get back a .JCF file?

Adrian Spratt

Hi. This afternoon FS sent me a Word.JCF file that they hoped would resolve a problem I’m having with Word 2016 and JAWS 2019. I made the mistake of pasting it over the existing Word.JCF file without first saving that original file. the new .JCF file causes Word to repeat every line. It’s a nightmare.

Can anyone suggest how I restore or retrieve the original Word.JCF file?

Thanks.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Adrian,

Is there any way you can access a backup of your system?  If I recall you do a regular backup and if you can access a recent backup you can get a copy of your old Word.JCF file from there.
Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:52 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Any suggestions on how to restore or get back a .JCF file?

Hi. This afternoon FS sent me a Word.JCF file that they hoped would resolve a problem I’m having with Word 2016 and JAWS 2019. I made the mistake of pasting it over the existing Word.JCF file without first saving that original file. the new .JCF file causes Word to repeat every line. It’s a nightmare.

Thanks.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Again Adrian,

Maybe a system restore back to the time & date of before pasting the JCF file might work, but I'm not positive about that.

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Any suggestions on how to restore or get back a .JCF file?

Hi Adrian,

Is there any way you can access a backup of your system?  If I recall you do a regular backup and if you can access a recent backup you can get a copy of your old Word.JCF file from there.
Subject: [jaws-users] Any suggestions on how to restore or get back a .JCF file?

Thanks.

Adrian Spratt

Thanks, Mike. I came back from dinner to find not only your posts, but also that FS’s rep had replied. He said to delete the file and the old one will reappear. Well, the file is deleted, but it hasn’t come back even after a PC restart. Even so, Word is back to where it was before I pasted that catastrophic file. This feels like the opposite of that line, “The operation was a success. The dog died.” In this case, the operation failed, but the dog revived. Call me baffled but relieved.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:37 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Any suggestions on how to restore or get back a .JCF file?

Hi Again Adrian,

Maybe a system restore back to the time & date of before pasting the JCF file might work, but I'm not positive about that.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Adrian,

If it was a Default.JCF file, and you deleted it, then maybe it would re-create itself, but I'm not going to delete a Default.JCF file to find out!  LOL  LOL 

Being it was a, Word.JCf file, this means you had to make a change to the Word program for Jaws to create a, Word.JCF file, in your ENU folder.
Have you asked the list members about the problem you're having between Jaws & Word?

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Thanks, Mike. I came back from dinner to find not only your posts, but also that FS’s rep had replied. He said to delete the file and the old one will reappear. Well, the file is deleted, but it hasn’t come back even after a PC restart. Even so, Word is back to where it was before I pasted that catastrophic file. This feels like the opposite of that line, “The operation was a success. The dog died.” In this case, the operation failed, but the dog revived. Call me baffled but relieved.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.

Hi Again Adrian,

Hi Adrian,

Thanks.

Adrian Spratt

Yes, I’ve discussed the problem on the list. After a while, JAWS stops being able to read by character, word and line. It works fine in “say all.” Some list members reported having the same issue.

The Word.JCF file has not reappeared in the ENU list, but Word has been working the way it did before I installed FS’s test file.

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:54 AM

Hi Adrian,

If it was a Default.JCF file, and you deleted it, then maybe it would re-create itself, but I'm not going to delete a Default.JCF file to find out!  LOL  LOL 

Being it was a, Word.JCf file, this means you had to make a change to the Word program for Jaws to create a, Word.JCF file, in your ENU folder.

Have you asked the list members about the problem you're having between Jaws & Word?

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:31 PM

Hi Again Adrian,

Hi Adrian,

Thanks.

Steve

Wouldn't a repair of Jaws put that file back?

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:16 PM

Hi Adrian,

Thanks.

Adrian Spratt

That was going to be my next step.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:59 PM

Wouldn't a repair of Jaws put that file back?

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:16 PM

Hi Adrian,

Thanks.

TheHangMan

Hello Adrian,

Try this below:

How to do a System Restore in W-10 with Jaws.

1. Press the Windows key, to bring up the search edit box.

2. Type System, press Enter on, System control panel.

3. Tab several times to, System Protection, press Enter.

4. You will be put in, the System properties multi page dialog, On The first

page of this dialog called, System protection tab

5. Tab one time to, System restore..., press Enter.

6. Wait a few seconds for the page to open, Jaws speaks a lot of information

to you, you are on the Next button.

7. Press Enter on the Next button.

8. You are in a list of the dates of different Restore points, down arrow

and highlight or select the date you wish to Restore your computer to.

**OK, this is the screen that will have show more restore points, One must

Shift+tab, use your right and left arrow keys, to find the show more options

for dates of resore, now if you see this link, press enter, then follow the

rest of the below steps to restore your W-10 computer to an earlier date.

9. Now Tab to the Next button, press Enter.

10. Now you will hear, confirm your Restore point, followed by the date you

highlighted on the previous page.

11. Tab to the Finish button, Press Enter.

12. You will hear a warning dialog saying, when System restore is started,

it cannot be interrupted, press the spacebar or Enter to continue with

System restore, or something like that.

13. press the appropriate control, either the Spacebar or the Enter key.

14. Now in about 25 to 50 minutes, your computer will boot up to your Log-in

screen.

15. Type in your password or your pin, you are now done and Restored to the

date you chose in the System restore list.

HTH,

Jorge

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:52 PM

Thanks.

Adrian Spratt

Thank you, Jorge, for these steps. It looks like my immediate problem is solved, but I will keep this information for future use.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of TheHangMan
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:31 AM

Hello Adrian,

Try this below:

screen.

HTH,

Jorge

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt

Thanks.

netbat66

if you still have the jcf file f s sent you you could try this.
just find the jcf file you copied to the enu folder and delete it.
load your word program and press the jaws key and 6 and jaws will create a new file. this alone might fix your problem.
if not you would still have the file f s sent you and you could copy it back to the same folder.
at least you won't be any worse off.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:59 AM

Thank you, Jorge, for these steps. It looks like my immediate problem is solved, but I will keep this information for future use.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of TheHangMan
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:31 AM

Hello Adrian,

Try this below:

screen.

HTH,

Jorge

Thanks.