Creating Contact Groups in Outlook 2016

Jim Fettgather

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists
in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group,
type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing
contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am
completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure
it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been
successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

patti

Hi Jim,
Here is how I added people to my distribution list.
I'm running J18, Outlook 2010.
Adding names to list
1, open up the group list you want
2, tab to the members list
3, alt H, M then C.
4, Arrow down to who I want to add, enter
5, Tab to Ok, enter
That will put you back in your list of contacts

I HTH, Patti

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

Ali Benmerzouga

Hi Patti,

Thanks for your detailed reply/answer.

My question comes before this step in Outlook 2016 using JAWS 2018 and W10.

How to create a group email list? I hope this falls in the same subject line above.
I used to do that 10 years ago or so before losing my vision.

Thanks in advance.

Ali

Here is how I added people to my distribution list.
I'm running J18, Outlook 2010.
Adding names to list
1, open up the group list you want
2, tab to the members list
3, alt H, M then C.
4, Arrow down to who I want to add, enter 5, Tab to Ok, enter That will put you back in your list of contacts

I HTH, Patti

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Ali,

See if the notes below will help:
From: Kimsan
Hello:
From within the address book, which you may navigate to by pressing CTRL
shift B, activate the file menu with alt f and arrow down to new entry and
press enter.
In the list box, focus on new contact group and tab once to the contacts
combo box and select the folder to which you would like to save your group.
You can press enter or tab to the ok button and spacebar on the ok button.
Next, you are in the contact group dialog.  The first field you will have
available is the name field, so type in the name of the new contact group.
Now you must add members to your contact group, which
You can select members from Outlook contacts, the address book, or add email
addresses manually. For the sake of avoiding writers cramp, I will only
explain how to select them by addressbook.
Activate the home ribbon by pressing alt h then press m for the members
list.  In the dropdown list, arrow down to addressbook and press enter.
Now, select the members, as many as you'd like.  Keep in mind that you will
land in a search field first, so tab to the extended list and arrow until
you find who you are looking for and press enter and that person will be
added to the contact group.  Just repeat this process until you have
everyone that you'd like to be in the group. Once you are complete, press
alt s to save it.
I hope this helps.
 Kimsan

From: Mario
Try the following:

press control+shift+l to create a distribution list and type a name.
tab once and you will hear the name of the list, press enter,

to add a contact, press alt+h+t.
tab to the list of contacts, arrow to a contact you wish to add to the
distribution list, tab to and enter on members button.
contact will be added, tab to ok and press enter.
Mario
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Here is how I added people to my distribution list.
I'm running J18, Outlook 2010.
Adding names to list
1, open up the group list you want
2, tab to the members list
3, alt H, M then C.
4, Arrow down to who I want to add, enter 5, Tab to Ok, enter That will put you back in your list of contacts

I HTH, Patti

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

patti

I just did these steps in outlook 2010
Have the contacts list open, ctrl 3
1, ctrl+shift+l= create distribution list;
2, now type in the name of the distribution list;
3, tab once, you will hear the name of the list, press enter,
4, to add a contact arrow down, and press enter on the name you want, and repeat until you get all the people you want.
Or you can
5, now tab and enter on, members button, the client will be added.
6, if you go this way, don’t forget to shift tab to add another person.
7, tab to ok, space bar
8, ctrl s to save
9, alt f4

[...]

From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

Ali Benmerzouga

Thanks a lot Kimsan!

Take care.

Ali

Here is how I added people to my distribution list.
I'm running J18, Outlook 2010.
Adding names to list
1, open up the group list you want
2, tab to the members list
3, alt H, M then C.
4, Arrow down to who I want to add, enter 5, Tab to Ok, enter That will put you back in your list of contacts

I HTH, Patti

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

Ali Benmerzouga

Thanks a lot Patti.

Take care.

Ali

Here is how I added people to my distribution list.
I'm running J18, Outlook 2010.
Adding names to list
1, open up the group list you want
2, tab to the members list
3, alt H, M then C.
4, Arrow down to who I want to add, enter 5, Tab to Ok, enter That will put you back in your list of contacts

I HTH, Patti

Hello, I have been going around in circles with this task.

What was once called distribution lists are now called contact lists in Outlook 2016.
From the main Outlook Window, I pressed control 3 to go to contacts.
Then, from the Home tab of the ribbon, I choose New Contact group, type in a name, and press Alt S to Save.
Sure enough, the name of the contact group I have just created is there.
Now comes the hard part.
There is supposed to be a way to either add members from existing contacts, or add members manually to your newly created contact group.
I have looked in the Applications menu, all over the ribbon, but I am completely stumped, I have browsed the help topics, but cannot figure it out for some reason.
This seems like it should not be that difficult, so if anyone has been successful, I could sure use some guidance.
Thanks a lot.

Alan Robbins <arobbin2@...>

Jim,

Not sure if this got resolved but cleaning up my inbox and am mailing some notes someone posted on one of the lists I'm on. If they help, great; if not, simply discard.

Ctrl+shift+l=create new distribution list.
Type in the name,
now tab once, you'll see/hear the name of the group, press enter,

now a list of your contacts will come up, now you can arrow to a contact you
wish to add to the newly created distribution list, now tab and enter on,
members button, if you want to add more than one contact, you need to
ctrl+spacebar, to unselect, now you can arrow through the list, and press
spacebar to select contact, now you can go to the members button.

Creating a group

1. Press CTRL+ShiftKey+L=create new distribution list.

2. Type the preferred name for the group.

3. Follow steps shown below (starting with step 3) for adding a
contact.

Adding a Contact from Contacts to a Group

1. Move to the group in your contacts list.

2. Press enter key. In the resulting window you will have an edit box
where you can change the group name if desired. If you tab once you will
find a list of names already in the group. You can use up or down arrow
keys in this list. Only the edit box and the list of existing names are in
the window. After you have added more than one member JAWS might not read
the list correctly as you use the up and down arrow keys. After using a
down arrow key to move to the next member, (if JAWS doesn't read the name),
use shift+tab to move away from the list and tab back to it. You can then
read the line and should hear the correct entry.

3. Press Alt key to access the top part of the ribbon.

4. Focus should be on the contact group tab. If focus lands on a
different tab then the contact group tab then use right or left arrow key
until you find the contact group tab.

5. Tab to the lower part of the ribbon.

6. Tab until you find the "add members" submenu and press spacebar.

7. You will have choices for adding from the Outlook address book,
contacts or adding a new member. Use tab key between the choices. Usually,
you will want to press spacebar on the contacts choice. The address book is
made up of the contacts list, suggested contacts and other lists that have
been added to Outlook. In most cases you will find the contacts choice and
press spacebar.

8. You will be presented with a search box. Type the person's name or
part of it into the edit field, tab to the go button and press spacebar.

9. In the list of results you can use up and down arrow keys to select
the member to be added.

a. Tab to the members button. Press spacebar to select the member.

b. Use shift with tab to return to the list of names. If you have a
few members (with the same first or last name you can hold shift key down
and use down arrow key to select them and then tab to and use spacebar on
the Members button.

10. Tab to the OK button and press spacebar.

11. Focus should return to the window where you can rename the group of
view a list of existing members in the group. JAWS doesn't seem to read the
list as you use your down arrow key but you can confirm the members have
been added by routing JAWS cursor to PC cursor and reading the list. Also,
if you use down arrow key in the list, use a shift+tab to move away from the
list and then tab back to it and you should hear a new entry that wasn't
read just by using the down arrow key.

12. Use Alt with function key 4 and answer "yes" when asked if you want to
save changes.

Removing a member from the group

1. Open the group from contacts by navigating to the group name
listed in contacts and pressing enter key.

2. Focus will be in the window where you can change the group name or
tab to the list of existing members.

Tab to the list of existing members and press delete key on the name of the
contact to be removed.

3. Close the group by using Alt with F4.

4. Choose yes to save changes or no to cancel them.

Deleting a group

Find the group name in the contacts list and press delete key.