From: Marvin Hunkin via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 11:55 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] what laptops to look for

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd’s more expensive and what’s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of money. Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer. So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

Sharon S

Hi Marvin, I have had a few Acers over the years with no problems. My latest one does have some issues with the sound crackling but this comes and goes.

I got mine from the good guys and their staff were very helpful.

From Shaz.

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd’s more expensive and what’s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of money. Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer. So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

Matthew Chao

Early on when Windows became accessible, I had an Acer. However, I didn't like it because it had a touchpad that made the cursor go all over the place when I hit uit with my thumbs. I believe it was call the TravelMate. Since then, I look for laptops with both touchpad and eraserhead/pointing device, as I can disable the touchpad. Just my thoughts.--Matthew Chao

On 1/2/2019 8:00 AM, Sharon S wrote:
Hi Marvin, I have had a few Acers over the years with no problems. My latest one does have some issues with the sound crackling but this comes and goes.
I got mine from the good guys and their staff were very helpful.
From Shaz.
Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd�s more expensive and what�s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of money. Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer. So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.
Marvin.

Sharon S

Hi, at first I also had issues with the touch pad. Then I found a way to
turn it off by a key combination. Now I leave it off all the time and if one
of my sighted family members needs to do something on my laptop, I can turn
it back on quite quickly.

From Shaz.

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd�s more expensive
and what�s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of
money.
Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer
laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start
from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother
purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer.
So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not
matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and
would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that
for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

K0LNY

I don't know if you would call it a laptop, but I have a NUC PPYH and this
one is a couple years old with 8G/B of RAM, it has been great.
It fits inside an old cell phone bag with room for extras.
I run it headless and plug in a desktop keyboard.
It's about the size of two sandwiches on top of each other.
It has an Intel processor, in fact, Intel makes it.
It has four USB slots, an HDMI and a VGA output, two audio jacks, an SD slot
and IR and bluetooth.
They are much less expensive than any laptop, and you can add your OS of
choice.

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd�s more expensive and
what�s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of money.
Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer
laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start from
about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother
purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer.
So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not
matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and would
like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that for a
ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I bought a Dell Inspiron in August with a 512 GB SSD drive for about $900.  It does not have a numberpad, but I use an external USB keyboard most of the time so not a real issue for me.

I just checked prices of a 1 TB SSD drive, these are no doubt US prices, but they have come down to under $150.  So you should be fine with whatever size you want.

You may find that to get the numberpad on a laptop you may have to be at the top or a bit higher of your price range.

16 GB of RaM will be plenty.  8 is not enough with Jaws and Windows 10 in my opinion.

You want the I7 processor.

I think you are fine to go with Acer, Lanovo or Dell.  I don’t know the Australian market of course.

I hope you find what you need.

Richard

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd’s more expensive and what’s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of money. Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer. So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

Matthew Chao

Unfortunately, the Dell laptop I have doesn't have a keyboard command to turn off the touchpad.  It's graphical in nature, so, while solving a tech support problem remotely, I had the support rep remotely turn it off.  Seems that every time Microsoft updates Windows 10, they turn the touchpad back on.  very annoying.--Matthew Chao

On 1/2/2019 9:32 AM, Sharon S wrote:
Hi, at first I also had issues with the touch pad. Then I found a way to
turn it off by a key combination. Now I leave it off all the time and if one
of my sighted family members needs to do something on my laptop, I can turn
it back on quite quickly.

From Shaz.

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd�s more expensive
and what�s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of
money.
Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer
laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start
from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother
purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer.
So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not
matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and
would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that
for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Steve

Usually, youo can turn those touchpads off under mouse options in
Device Manager.

On 1/2/19, Matthew Chao <mattchao@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, the Dell laptop I have doesn't have a keyboard command to
turn off the touchpad.  It's graphical in nature, so, while solving a
tech support problem remotely, I had the support rep remotely turn it
off.  Seems that every time Microsoft updates Windows 10, they turn the
touchpad back on.  very annoying.--Matthew Chao

On 1/2/2019 9:32 AM, Sharon S wrote:
Hi, at first I also had issues with the touch pad. Then I found a way to
turn it off by a key combination. Now I leave it off all the time and if
one
of my sighted family members needs to do something on my laptop, I can
turn
it back on quite quickly.

From Shaz.

Hi, what laptops to look for in Australia. Are ssd�s more expensive
and what�s the biggest ssd I could get and not have to blow a lot of
money.
Well looking probably for a Lenovo. Toshiba does not make any consumer
laptops or sells them any more. Only business machines which start
from about $2,200 and can go all the way up to $5,000. And my brother
purchased a acer for about $2,000, he has a business and also a gamer.
So would be looking for the fast chipset, best audio, screen does not
matter, as totally blind, do have 8 gb, but seems to struggle, and
would like 16 or 32 gb, and a 1 tb hard disk, probably cannot do that
for a ssd, and maybe lookin at about $1,000 or $1200.

Marvin.

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Sadam Ahmed

Hi Marvin,

I'm coming late to the discussion.

I have had great success with the Dell XPS 13 ultrabooks.

Have a look on Dell's Australian website or give the  sales team a call.

Best,

Sadam Ahmed