Topics

Jaws 2019 does not recognize autocompleted addresses in Outlook 2016: possible solution

Adrian Spratt

Vispero solved this problem for me with a file they sent. They then sent me new instructions that make it unnecessary to go through the file replacement process. I haven't tried these steps because my Outlook problem was already resolved when I received them, but I pass them along in case they help others on the list. Note that Vispero tells me they work for some people but not all. I also don't know if they work for other versions of Outlook.

1. Remove the configNames.ini file from the
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2019\Settings\enu Replace "username" with your user name.
Copy it to another folder in case this doesn't work.
2. Close JAWS and Relaunch JAWS.
3. Open Outlook 2016
4. Press Alt + U
5. Outlook should tell you that you need to restart the application for changes to take effect. Press Enter.
6. Next Close Outlook with Alt + F4.
7. Restart Outlook.
8. Now try typing addresses in the To field of a new message.

david

Hello there;

Well, I'm trying to help a friend whose running Jaws19, I don't see the file
mentioned in the below instructions.
I first go to, desktop,
windows-key+r=run,
now type in a period this takes me to the username folder,
now I arrow and enter on app data,
now choose roaming, next choose freedom scientific,
next choose jaws, then jaws19,
then, settings,
then enu,
I don't see the
configNames.ini file

1. Remove the configNames.ini file from the
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2019\Settings\enu
Replace "username" with your user name.
Copy it to another folder in case this doesn't work.
2. Close JAWS and Relaunch JAWS.
3. Open Outlook 2016
4. Press Alt + U
5. Outlook should tell you that you need to restart the application for
changes to take effect. Press Enter.
6. Next Close Outlook with Alt + F4.
7. Restart Outlook.
8. Now try typing addresses in the To field of a new message.

       The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a
dream.

[...]

Nino Dagostino

Hello:

You have to create the file

I posted the file inside of an email.

You have to create a file called
Confignames.ini
If you need more help let me know.

Just rember after it is created I have found the best way for it to work is
to reboot the computer.

Have a good day.

[...]

David, it was in my system. Let me look into it in case I can figure out an explanation. For the record, you shouldn't need to create it. As you will realize from the steps I copied, the objective is to remove it and then put it back in.

[...]

David, I notice that between "JAWS" and "ENU," you wrote "JAWS 19" instead of 2019. Could this explain it? I doubt it. But I just went through the entire path again on my system, and configNames.ini is there.

[...]

Hello Adrian;
well,
I just typed in,
on friend's computer,

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2019\Settings\enu

I see/hear;
1 of 14,
I don't see,
configNames.ini

[...]

David, I realize this won't make sense, but try this. Once you click on "ENU," instead of arrowing through the resulting list, press c until you hear the file's name. I say this because after reading this message from you, I went back to ENU and clicked on it. I didn't get a number for the resulting list, so I arrowed down through the files. There are lots of them, but I didn't seem to get to configNames.ini. So I backed out of the list and went back in. This time I did what I've done every time before, which is do nothing else but press c. I believe it's the second press of c on my system that gets to configNames.ini.

[...]

Hi Adrian;

no go, no matter what I do, or, how I get to the
freedomscientific\JAWS\2019\Settings\enu folder I don't see/hear,
configNames.ini
so, perhaps I'll need to learn how to create a ini file,
also, are you running windows 10 or 7, not sure if that matters or not.

[...]

Windows 10. I meant to mention that.

[...]

OK, all is fine, I did contact FS, they did send me the file, which I did
paste, and now can actually see/find in the enu folder,
now, the auto complete works again.

the very strange thing is?

on my computer, jaws 18&2018 doesn't have the
configNames.ini

however the auto complete does work. go, figure!

[...]

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi David,
This could be due to the new way that they are applying changes to the
script files for Microsoft Office products.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

[...]

Good news, David. FS/Vispero did say that this file has different effects on different computers. Apparently, based on your experience, some don't need it at all.

[...]

Matthew Horspool

Hi,

I don't quite understand how these instructions work as I don't know what ALT+U does – it does nothing here.

However, ConfigNames.ini is the file which tells JAWS which scripts to load for which application. You will not have this in your user folder unless something has modified it, e.g. by installing custom scripts. However, if you do for some reason have it in your user folder and there are settings for the same application in your user file and the default file, the settings in your user file will take priority.

This means that, if there is an entry for Microsoft Outlook held over from an earlier version of JAWS, JAWS 2019 will be attempting to use the Outlook Classic scripts in a version of Outlook which is not Outlook Classic. This could explain the behaviour.

Deleting the ConfigNames.ini file, if it exists, will remove this association and hence JAWS will defer to its default settings, which will load in the revised scripts.

Hope this explains why some people cannot find this file. If you can't find it, creating it and then deleting it probably will not fix anything.

Matthew

[...]

Good morning:

When I looked for the file it was not on my computer.

I called Jaws support and Nicki created the file and sent it to me.

I looked at the ini file there was not in the file.

To make it work I had to reboot the computer and then it worked.

I tried the altu  command and it did nothing.

Have a good day.

[...]

LeDon

I might be wrong, and am a lot, but I think that I have seen this before.
You ended your email with hth. Was that a typing error, or does that mean
something that eludes me?

[...]

It's one of those sincerity-undermining email abbreviations for "Hope this helps."

[...]

Hi LeDon,
It simply means,
hope this helps

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Everything must be learned, but some things just can't be taught!"

[...]

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi LeDon,

Or, Hope That Helped.  If you kicked your computer because it wouldn't cooperate it could mean, Hell That Hurt!  LOL  LOL
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
I type out everything I want to remember. That way instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it was, I spend the time looking for where I saved it!

[...]

Hi Nino,

Very interesting.

I saw an INI file from someone else on another list. It looks like it is the opposite of what I thought – FS are in some cases forcing JAWS to go back to the Outlook Classic scripts in non-classic versions of Outlook.

There will presumably be a December round of updates as this is what the next FSOpenLine is due to talk about. Hopefully the problem will get fixed there.

Matthew