Topics

What to do when there is no insert key

Naomi Bolter

Hi everyone,

I am currently piloting a new HP tablet with a keyboard, Jaws 18, Window’s 10 and Office 2016.

This is for work, as our systems are going to be changing.

My issue is that there is no insert key on the keyboard I’m using. I’m able to use the caps lock key for some things, but I was wondering if anyone knew other ways around this?

I tried simply attaching another keyboard to the machine, but it is quite big and not very practical as it is a desktop keyboard.

I was also looking into mapping keys but I’m afraid I’m not good at that stuff and don’t want to break the machine!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Naomi

Security Statement

This email may be confidential and contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email, including any attachments. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you have received the email in error please delete and notify the sender. Any views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the department, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the Department of Family and Community Services NSW. The department does not represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this email has been maintained, or that the communication is free of error, virus, interception, inference or interference.

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi Naomi,
Is there a numpad on the computer?

Rick Justice

[...]

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

Use laptop keyboard mode, the jaws key is the caps lock key!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

[...]

Victor Gouveia <victor.gouveia@...>

Isn’t there a way to reassign the insert key with Jaws?

I could have sworn I saw this feature in the Jaws utilities or settings.

Victor

[...]

LeDon

What is it that you cannot do using the caplock key as the jaws key? I think that typing with the laptop configuration on my desk top computer lets me do most things without moving my fingers from the computer keyboard with my fingers in the home position.

[...]

netbat66

its just a matter of choice.
you can use the capslock as the jaws key for both the desktop and laptop layout if you want to.

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

One think I have discovered I cannot do with the Caps lock is the Insert J command to open JAWS from the system tray.  I’m still learning laptop layout, but that was one thing I have noticed.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Maria Reyes <blindathlete7@...>

I also can't open Jaws using Capslock J to open up Jaws.

On Oct 25, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

[...]

Cook, Steve

To bring up the jaws menu using the laptop keyboard layout  Press control shift insert and J

Steve Cook, CPM

Assistive Technology Consultant

SC Commission for the Blind

1430 Confederate avenue

Columbia, SC 29201

Phone: (803) 898-8788

Fax: (803) 898-8882

[...]

no, but you can do the same thing if you use the hot keys you are useing to load jaws.
like control alt j.

[...]

send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

David Moore

Hi!
The laptop command to open JAWS from the system tray is:

CTRL+Shift+Capslock+J.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

no, but you can open the jaws menu if you use the hot keys you use to load jaws from the desktop.
control alt j

I also can't open Jaws using Capslock J to open up Jaws.

My group:
Marias-chat+subscribe@googlegroups.com

[...]

using laptop the keystroke is:

ctrl+shift+capslock+j

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

[...]

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the SUBJECT line.

LeDon

You are correct that is not the command to log jaws. There is a couple of ways. You probably have a jaws shortcut on your desk top and you need only to click on that to get jaws to load. The hotkey command to lode jaws is ctrl,alt,J. but you must set that up for it to work.

[...]

To enable the hot key to start jaws youmust first,
Press alt-enter on the JAWS icon on your desktop to open the shortcut dialog. Tab until you're asked to enter the shortcut of your choice. If it's control-alt-j, just press j, and the control-alt part will be included automatically. Keep tabbing to the "Apply" button and press the spacebar, then shift-back to the "Okay" button and press spacebar.

[...]

I am using the laptop keyboard configuration and the CTRL+Shift+Capslock+J brings up the jaws context menu. To start jaws with the hot key is ctrl, alt,J, if that  hot key has been set up. Or you can start jaws using the jaws shortcut that is on your desktop

[...]

Not sure I like the modifier key either the insert key or caps lock because I have a laptop and desktop!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

[...]

You can use the caplock key for the jaws key on both your laptop and your desktop computer. No problem.

[...]

Good to know. I guess I need to go read up more. This is the first time I've even used a laptop layout for a screen reader, since I'm typically at a full keyboard, but I see the value in not having to move your right hand to the numpad.

[...]

leonard morris

I have a portable keyboard I like to know where the delete key is located on the logitech k480