Topics

USPS edit box issue.

Judy Jones

Hello, Glenn and others,

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Glenn / Lenny

That is strange, I followed your link, and the edit boxes did for me.
If you send me your tracking number, I'll see if I can get the info for you.

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Judy Jones

It isn’t a tracking number.

I am trying to send a package to someone.  They have purchased a charger from me, and I am trying to mail it to them.

Thanks very much for your offer.

One time at work where we used Windows 7 a few years ago, I was finding something inaccessible on the site, and I sent feedback.  I actually got a call from this guy, Gwyndolen, whi o is sighted, but tests Jaws by using it just as we would.  He found the issues I was pointing out and had the site corrected within the day.  I hope I can find him or someone similar again.

If you happen to think of anything else, let me know, but thank you for educating me on Quick Tools!

Judy

That is strange, I followed your link, and the edit boxes did for me.

If you send me your tracking number, I'll see if I can get the info for you.

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Gerald Levy

Here’s another trick you can try that sometimes works for me.  Go to  the web page with the stubborn package weight edit field, and toggle off the virtual cursor by pressing Insert-Z.  Then, starting from the top of the page, tab repeatedly until you land on the package weight edit field and open it.  If you are able  open this edit field, type in  the desired weight, and then press Insert-Z again to turn the virtual cursor back on to resume normal page navigation. HTH.

Gerald

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Robin Frost <robini71@...>

Hi Judy,
I’m late to this thread I apologize. but yes yes yes yes and yes this has been a known issue since they rolled out their site redesign in May. Essentially Blind people can mail packages by paying more to use flat rate boxes but can’t use their own box and input weight manually.  I’ve been politely advocating and even screaming a little about this for 5 months and no one seems to care. Sorry I couldn’t be more positive on this one.
Take good care.
Robin

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Gerald Levy

Because the USPS is a government agency, aren’t they requiered by law to make their web site accessible to screen readers?  Or do they have some special exeption?  Or is the law simply not being enforced because there is nobody to force them to comply?

Gerald

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

Judy Jones

Thanks very much.  I tried that and couldn’t tab past an image above the area where you input package information.

Judy

[...]

Well thank you for clarifying, and ai do appreciate all the help.

I am certainly going to contact them tomorrow and get to the accessibility team tomorrow

[...]

You are right, they are responsible.

I actually was able to mail out in July, but is a no-go now.  Amd I am going to spend time trying to go make waves tomorrow.

Judy

Because the USPS is a government agency, aren’t they requiered by law to make their web site accessible to screen readers?  Or do they have some special exeption?  Or is the law simply not being enforced because there is nobody to force them to comply?

Gerald

I tried the quick tools menu.  It expanded and I went to the click ‘n ship I needed.  However, the edit boxes for the package weight would not activate.  Bummer!

It was good for me to use Quick Tools though and know about it for in future.

But those vital boxes won’t do anything.

At work, I used to use Windows 7 as well.  I have shipped before using Windows 10 on my computer, but it sure isn’t working now.

Any other ideas?

Judy

John R Vaughn

Judy, may also want to send this item to your U.S. senator’s and congressman.

John

[...]

"Marvin Atkins"

Gerald,

The USPS is actually an independent agency of the Federal Government. What that means and how much the USPS adheres to federal regulations, I have no clue.

Marvin

[...]

And to think, they want to rais the cost of a stamp to 55 cents?

Judy

[...]

Yes, but this is a public web site, so they need to hold to accessibility standards, too.

Judy

[...]

Apparently, the Office of the Postal Inspector General is responsible for dealing with web site accessibility problems:

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:59 AM

[...]

Thanks for this!

Judy

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:59 AM

[...]

So this is a laugh, bitter/sweet.

On their site they talk about how web accessibility is ongoing and if any questions to contact them.  I press the link to contact regarding accessibility, and there is a 404 not found error message.

Talk about accessibility!

Judy

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:59 AM

[...]

David Moore

Wow, Judy LOL!

Talk about irony right there!

You should definitely tell them about that LOL!

David Moore

                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:59 AM

[...]

Yes, provided I can get to them.

That’s like back in the 70s in California, I believe it was, when police wanted to jail protesters in wheelchairs, then found their jail cells weren’t accessible, couldn’t get the prospective inmates through the cell doors.

Judy

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:59 AM

[...]

Hi Judy and others,
The USPS tech support number for

800-344-7779

I hope you get farther than I did.  The more the merrier the more attention something gets the more likely it might be of gaining a resolution. Do keep us posted.

Robin