From: joanne
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:13 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] how does insert f3 get buttons and links to work?

I recently heard about the insert f3 pass key, and since some sites have links and buttons that won't work when pressing spacebar or entering, I thought I'd attempt to use this key combo. I don't know what exactly you do--like is there a sequence of things that make it work? For instance, I go to buttons and there's an okay button. But do you escape out of the jaws f3 after spacing on okay? Or, after pressing okay, should the button or link work right away? I know that some types of searches require the escape key after the search, so if someone can show me how to use this combo effectively I'd appreciate it.

Joanne

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

Hi Joanne,
The insert F3 keystroke is for the Jaws find, not the passthru.
The pass thru keystroke is insert plus 3, on the number row.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

I recently heard about the insert f3 pass key, and since some sites have
links and buttons that won't work when pressing spacebar or entering, I
thought I'd attempt to use this key combo. I don't know what exactly you
do--like is there a sequence of things that make it work? For instance, I go
to buttons and there's an okay button. But do you escape out of the jaws f3
after spacing on okay? Or, after pressing okay, should the button or link
work right away? I know that some types of searches require the escape key
after the search, so if someone can show me how to use this combo
effectively I'd appreciate it.

Joanne

ratshtron <northstarr1950@...>

ooops, insert plus f3 is to unload jaws not the jaws find.

Legend has it that on Saturday 10/13/2018 01:12 PM, Rick Justice said:
[...]

ooops and double oops, insert plus f3 is jaws find, face with foot in mouth!

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Joanne.

I use the pass-through key to make a control work that has some kind of conflict with JAWS. Note that as Rick has posted, we’re talking about insert-3 above the letters, not insert-F3.

For example, in YouTube you can control play, pause, etc., with the j, k and l letters. However, JAWS would normally treat letters as navigation quick keys. To get around that conflict, press insert-3, then the letter for the control you want, such as j.

Insert-3 passes through only the keystroke pressed immediately after. So to get the k to work, you’d have to press insert-3 again before hitting k.

I recently heard about the insert f3 pass key, and since some sites have links and buttons that won't work when pressing spacebar or entering, I thought I'd attempt to use this key combo. I don't know what exactly you do--like is there a sequence of things that make it work? For instance, I go to buttons and there's an okay button. But do you escape out of the jaws f3 after spacing on okay? Or, after pressing okay, should the button or link work right away? I know that some types of searches require the escape key after the search, so if someone can show me how to use this combo effectively I'd appreciate it.

Joanne

Rick Justice <ricjustice@...>

How did it taste? lol

I recently heard about the insert f3 pass key, and since some sites have
links and buttons that won't work when pressing spacebar or entering, I
thought I'd attempt to use this key combo. I don't know what exactly you
do--like is there a sequence of things that make it work? For instance, I
go
to buttons and there's an okay button. But do you escape out of the jaws f3
after spacing on okay? Or, after pressing okay, should the button or link
work right away? I know that some types of searches require the escape key
after the search, so if someone can show me how to use this combo
effectively I'd appreciate it.

Joanne

ratshtron <northstarr1950@...>

hmmm, kind-of tough! lol!

Legend has it that on Saturday 10/13/2018 05:37 PM, Rick Justice said:
How did it taste? lol

I recently heard about the insert f3 pass key, and since some sites have
links and buttons that won't work when pressing spacebar or entering, I
thought I'd attempt to use this key combo. I don't know what exactly you
do--like is there a sequence of things that make it work? For instance, I
go
to buttons and there's an okay button. But do you escape out of the jaws f3
after spacing on okay? Or, after pressing okay, should the button or link
work right away? I know that some types of searches require the escape key
after the search, so if someone can show me how to use this combo
effectively I'd appreciate it.

Joanne

chris judge

No, that's insert f4.