Topics

JAWS with terra term 4.100 on Windows 10

Brendan Mattingly

Hello,
I have just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10 using JAWS
2018. I have downloaded and installed the newest version of terra term
(4.100) and have followed the steps found on
https://www.mail-archive.com/jaws-users-list@.../msg19270.html
excluding creating the fancy script.

On my previous computer, operating windows 7 and JAWS 13, I had no
problems with terra term (do not know the version but installed it in
2012). It operated as well as could be expected and did not prevent me
from smoothly using the terminal. My screen on my new computer is
slightly smaller than my previous computer (but I messed around with
the 80x24 display so I think that is ruled out). After changing the
terra term settings and saving, I have come across the following
problems with my new computer and windows, jaws, and terra term
versions:
1. in the command line, , the letters that make up the command are not
all said. Some are skipped or multiple letters are combined into one
word.
2. using EMACS -nw, the same kind of thing happens. Letters are
skipped over, or letter groupings are said as one unit instaed of just
a single letter.

Problems 1 and 2 make it nearly impossible to edit files or figure out
what the command is. On the bright side, it seems like using the JAWS
curser does the same things as previous so no problems directly
reading messages written to the terminal screen while in session.
Has anyone run across the same problems? If not, what terminal works
the best for a windows machine and how to configure it?

Aran A

Hello,

From my experience, you cannot use a terminal emulator while the window is maximized.

Try to restore the terminal emulator window (alt+spaceBar and select Restore).

Best wishes!