Topics

Sound indicating spelling error

Adrian Spratt

Hi. Robin recently posted a query about the clicking sound JAWS 2019 beta makes when apparently reporting a spelling error. It seemed there were no spelling errors. I think I know what  might be going on.

I have Outlook/Word 2016 set to autocorrect my typing. When that click is heard, two things may be happening almost simultaneously. First, JAWS picks up an error. Second, autocorrect fixes it.

Note that autocorrect doesn’t fix every spelling error, so sometimes the click really does indicate that there’s still an error there.

Teresa Arroyo Llosa

Hello,
I wonder if this Sound Works with Office 2013 coma for I am not hearing the sound when I make a spelling mistake. I know there is a mistake because Jules says it when I navigate the line. So, does it only work weave office 2016 and 365?
Thanks in advance. Uline best regards, Uline ttteresa arroyo llosa

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 9:30 am Adrian Spratt, <adrian@...> wrote:

Hi. Robin recently posted a query about the clicking sound JAWS 2019 beta makes when apparently reporting a spelling error. It seemed there were no spelling errors. I think I know what  might be going on.

I have Outlook/Word 2016 set to autocorrect my typing. When that click is heard, two things may be happening almost simultaneously. First, JAWS picks up an error. Second, autocorrect fixes it.

Note that autocorrect doesn’t fix every spelling error, so sometimes the click really does indicate that there’s still an error there.

Adrian Spratt

I don’t know. I do believe it’s a new feature with JAWS 2019 beta, but I don’t know how far back it works with Office.

[...]

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

Adrian,

Interesting  theory. I turned auto correct off in Word & Outlook as I found often it was changing words automatically to words I had not intended and if I accidently did not proof something often the email or document made no sense. How do you have yours configured to avoid this? I do like the sound Jaws makes when I do misspell as I’m able to correct right away and have less errors to contend with when spell check runs.

Al

Hi. Robin recently posted a query about the clicking sound JAWS 2019 beta makes when apparently reporting a spelling error. It seemed there were no spelling errors. I think I know what  might be going on.

I have Outlook/Word 2016 set to autocorrect my typing. When that click is heard, two things may be happening almost simultaneously. First, JAWS picks up an error. Second, autocorrect fixes it.

Note that autocorrect doesn’t fix every spelling error, so sometimes the click really does indicate that there’s still an error there.

Adrian Spratt

I don’t have it specially configured, and I used to have autocorrect turned off exactly for this reason. Somehow, though, I’ve grown used to it and to fixing the new mistakes it makes on my behalf!

[...]

Rose

Works with Office 2016 or office 365 using the beta of Jaws only.

[...]

Ok Rose, Thank you. It didn’t appear in the settings center spell options.