Topics

Computer with credit card reader.

Judy Jones

Hello, Folks,

I went for a job interview, where they stated I would have to take credit card transactions via a card reader from the PC.  The PC is running Windows 10, but I don’t know the card reader.

Has anyone experienced using anything similar, and would like to hear pros and cons, accessible or not, etc.

Thanks very much.

BTW, the only programs I would have to work in are Outlook and Skype for contacting other departments.

Thanks.

Judy

Shane Hecker <shanehecker@...>

What type of card reader are we talking about? Is it something about half a hand width or is it one of those jobs with the chip, touch screen, and keypad? I've got the half hand width job and it is accessible. You plug it in via USB and it basically acts like a keyboard. And here's why I have one.
When I get a new credit card, I want 3 things off of it. I'm looking for the card number, expiration date, and name on the card. One item I know, the other 2 I don't. So I plug the card reader into an available USB port, pop open notepad, then scan the card. Something like this pops up after the card is scanned.
%B3820194571100334%Smush, Bubba R%1225%83295021113556
The %B designates this as a bank,  the numbers after that is usually the credit card number. Then there is a percent sign followed by last name, first name, then middle initial if present. After the next percent sign is the expiration date, in this case 12/2025. The rest is numbers which probably have meaning to the bank, but not to you or me.
All  that to say that they most certainly can be accessible. I'd be more concerned about the software used to run the thing. Is it a web interface or proprietary software developed by the business for their specialty? If it's a web interface, who are they using as their credit card processor? Is  the card processor's web site accessible?
If proprietary software is being used, has anyone looked at it to see if it will work with Jaws, or any other screen reader? If not, is the business open to having someone evaluate the software? Are they open to making some changes if need be?
Lots of questions here but you need these answers in order to make an informed decision. Hope this helps.

Shane

On 9/28/2018 6:28 PM, Judy Jones wrote:

Hello, Folks,

I went for a job interview, where they stated I would have to take credit card transactions via a card reader from the PC.  The PC is running Windows 10, but I don’t know the card reader.

Has anyone experienced using anything similar, and would like to hear pros and cons, accessible or not, etc.

Thanks very much.

BTW, the only programs I would have to work in are Outlook and Skype for contacting other departments.

Thanks.

Judy

Judy Jones

Shane, this is perfect information.

I took a job interview today, and, should I get the job, this would be one of my duties.  I am certainly going to keep your informational e-mail to work with.

Thanks very much.

Judy

[...]

JOHN RIEHL

Shane, this is great information. Where did you get the credit card reader you mentioned in your e-mail?

Does it work with newer cards with chips in them?

Thanks. John

[...]

I picked it up from amazon. It does not work with the chips. It's the old fashion type. Magtek makes it. It's got a scanner on both sides so  it doesn't matter which  way the card goes through.

Shane

On 9/29/2018 4:19 AM, JOHN RIEHL wrote:

[...]

Shane, would you e-mail me off-line? I have a question re your creditcard reader. I found lots of them on amazon.

Thanks.

My e-mail address is

Realman02@...

John

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

What is the point of having a credit card reader if you don't have a business?
The only one I can imagine having is the PayWithChip one.
which is a site for those who have difficulty handling on-line transactions, because of lack of computer skills.
It is a bit like using Sero to make purchases, they send you a card reader for free so you can make on-line purchases through them.
But I keep track of my card numbers, so I don't need to use a device like that for knowing my card information.
I would think that these devices you buy are units that were used by merchants to make transactions, mostly in kiosks and small businesses, and they would probably not reveal your card information, you would not want the business having a record of that information.
I think it stores the information in their software for like 15 minutes or so, in case there is a problem with the card.

[...]

All cards use chips now, you will want one that can read chips.
But again, other than if one has a business, or is working in retail, I don't know why one would want one, and as I mentioned, PayWithChip will send you one for free.

[...]

Justin Williams

How much did you credit card reader cost?

[...]

Oh, it doen’s work with the chips.  Can you still scan a creditcard that has a chip?

[...]

Victor Gouveia

Glen, no offence, but your view is fairly short sighted.

The fact is, a great many blind people don’t have sighted help with which to get the information on the card, and having one of these readers would be crucial, especially when entering information onto a purchase form, or some other information, like a transit pass or something like that.

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone else knowing my numbers, short of family, and yet, I would imagine there are people who would not even trust their own family.  In the end, card readers are a necessary thing for some  blind folks.

Victor

[...]

Victor,
With all due respect, I teach independent-living skills, and there is no excuse for a Blind person to not have this information available, either in Braille or on an audio recording, or in an encrypted file on the computer.
So to have such a device for a low-tech solution is either laziness or a lack of imagination, in my opinion.

[...]

I can see that.  Whenever we get a new card I get my information for it from using the optacon.  Too bad OCR isn’t up to the job.

Judy

[...]

Except, without sighted help, other than the optacon, what is the best way for blind folks to get the info?

Judy

[...]

sandy

what’s the name of the card reader you use shane?

Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:49 AM

[...]

Hi Judy,
We all have sighted help once in a while, such as having a reader come in to sort our mail, or other such things.
That would be the time to take the card with you or have it ready when the reader comes over.
I wonder if some banks will send you that info in Braille if requested.
One bank in my state, maybe it was a national chain, actually put the card number in Braille on the card if requested some years back.

[...]

Very interesting.  I have been using an optacon for such a long time with mail and such, but you are right.

Back in the day when I didn’t have an optacon and was teaching school, I hired people to come in and help read mail, grade papers, etc.

[...]

One thing one could do if you need the number and all you had was an optican, would be to press a piece of paper over the embossed numbers and take a pencil  and hold it sideways and lightly slide the pencil sideways over the embossed numbers and they should show up on the paper like they were printed on them.
We used to do this when we were kids with coins and other embossed things.

[...]

Glen, is what you’re saying is that I have to show someone else my credit card so I can get them read to me?

What happens if I don’t have a reading device or if I can’t read Braille.

When they send me my bill, it’s in Braille, and the bank says, they send it to me because they have to send something to me via the mail.  Personally, I don’t mind because I can look up the bill on the net at my bank’s website, but even on my bill, the credit card number is not displayed in full, the expiry date is not displayed, and the security code on the back of the card sure as Hell isn’t displayed anywhere but on the card.

Are you saying that I could show this information to someone, regardless if I’m paying them or not?

So those rich people who paid people to handle their finances had people who did that, and they weren’t even blind.  I’m sorry, but a card reader is exactly what blind people need, whether you teach that or not.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if people who use this types of things could speak up on it’s accessibility with Jaws and how legible is it when read, and while we already got that earlier review, is there a review of one that has the ability to read cards with chips on them?

[...]

You can take it to the bank and have them read it to you if you are that paranoid.
When you use your credit card, people see it all the time.
Sometimes, employees will use their phones to take pictures of people's cards.
I'm not talking Blind folks, this happens every day when people use their cards.
There's nothing secret on that card.
Are you saying that you would not hand your card to someone at the store to process a purchase?
That person can photograph your card front and back.
So your assertion that somehow you are at risk having a reader give you the numbers is absurd.