Topics

The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

Judy Jones

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

Timothy Appleby

Hi there, You can use shift f-10 to accomplish that task, for example, if you want to place shortcut on the desktop for a folder and or an existing file, press shift-10 then arrow down until you hear send to, several options populate, select desktop to place that particular icon onto the desktop.

I hope this helps.

Timothy

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

Terrie Terlau

Hi Judy,

Try shift F10. This usually gives you the same options as the right click. I also have found that the right mouse button in Jaws does not give you the same options.

Best,

Terrie Terlau

P.S. Would you consider doing an hour or so of Polaris tutoring for pay? I want to get up and running with email before I go to Seeing Eye next Monday. Please let me know if you would be interested.

Thanks.

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hi.

Do you mean the applications key?

The right windows key does the same thing as the left windows key – that is, open cortana/start/search box.

To get the functions of the applications key (which sometimes can be reached by right-clicking, but not always), try shift-f10.

I know some laptops have the function keys mapped to do other things, so you’ll have to make sure you have regular access to those first. I think this is what the “fn” key is usually for, but maybe see particular instructions on your laptop model.

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

Judy Jones

O Timothy, will try this right away, thanks for the suggestion.

Judy

[...]

chris judge

I can recall ever seeing a laptop keyboard with a right windows key.

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

chris judge

Hi. Tim’s correct, but you are confusing the right windows key with the application key.

[...]

Reed Poynter

Usually, Alt+Enter will bring up properties for items.  If you have an Icon on your desktop and want a shortcup for it, arrow to it and press Alt+Enter to bring up its properties.

Reed

[...]

Thanks so much, Terri, my husband has been on that computer, so haven’t had a chance to try, but looking forward to it.

Judy

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

Judy Jones

Yes, but I haven’t seen a keyboard yet whose “right-windows” key gives the same options as the left-windows key, and I’ve been using systems since 1997.  However, there are so many keyboards and computers out there now.  Most keyboards have 2 ctrl, 2 alt, and 2 windows-keys, but those having different functions.  But technically, you are right, the application key.

Judy

[...]

The various laptops I have experienced, Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba have all had the application key.  I was taught in the long long ago that the application key is synonymous with right-windows-key, even though they have different functions.

Judy

[...]

You are right, application key.  Dell has neither.

Thanks.

Judy

[...]

Did not work, but thanks.

Judy

[...]

I know, it’s one of the annoying things about dell. Don’t get me wrong, I love my dells, but I wish they had the application key.

[...]

Thanks for helping me find a solution, though.

Judy

[...]

Hi Judy. I think you are getting conflicting information. Pressing alt enter on a desktop shortcut is not the same as simulating the right mouse click with shift f10. If, for instance, you want to find the send to option so you can accomplish tasks such as placing an icon to a program on the desktop, you would highlight the item, then press shift f10 to accomplish the same as the applications key would. Pressing alt enter doesn’t do that, it just takes you directly to the properties. I think if you do shift f10 where you would normally press the apps key, you will be able to do what you want.

[...]

Thank you.  Alt-enter does diddly-squat, nothing, just sits right at the icon I’m pointing at.  You are right, I will try the F10.

Judy

[...]

On just about every desktop keyboard I’ve had since starting the Windows experience with 98, the applications key is just to the right of the right windows key. So, why have two “synonymous” keys on the keyboard that are located right next to each other that perform exactly the same function? I know laptops often dispense with “extra” keys, but I feel like someone led you astray on this.

[...]

My experience is definitely different from yours. I know it’s possible to configure both keys that share the same name (whether alt, windows or whatever) to do different things, but they seldom do, and the windows key seems the least likely of all of them to be so differently configured. Certainly Microsoft didn’t set it up that way; right now I can use right-or-left-windows key to open the search/start box, or combinations like windows-b, windows-w,  windows-a, etc, using either key, and the result is exactly the same. That’s been the case on every desktop I’ve ever had at least. I’m no expert on laptops and the last time I borrowed one I ended up plugging my desktop keyboard into it! *grins*

[...]

In your note below, you say, “to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop,.”

From this, I have assumed that you already have the app’s icon on the desktop and you want to assign a shortcut key to it.  So, you are not looking for the Send-To.

In most cases, Alt+enter opens the properties window for the selected item.  If you have a shortcut selected on the desktop, Alt+Enter should open a properties window for that shortcut.  I’ve used Windows from Windows 3.1 and can’t think of a version of Windows where this hasn’t worked.  Not that I’ve seen every install of Windows.

      As with the Shift+F10 and the Right-Click, the Alt+Enter is context sensitive.  In some instances, the Shift+10 will give you the selection you are looking for other times it will not.

Regarding the Right-Click, the mouse has to be sitting on the icon that you want to work with before you can use the right-click.  on my Windows 10 with JAWS 2018,  when I try to route the JAWS Cursor to the pc cursor, it doesn’t work.  So when I do a right-click, the menu choices I get are regarding the desktop itself rather than the icon I am sitting on.

For me, I can get to the selected icon’s properties with Alt+Enter or Shift+F10.  If I use Shift+10, I hit the Up-Arrow one time to find Properties.

In the properties window, I can assign a shortcut key.

Reed