From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:47 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Previous Captia Inquiry

You can sometimes read the text of an image posted on facebook. Here’s what I’ve started to do.

Open the image in “full size”. This means it basically has its own browser tab.

Save the .jpg.

Recognise with jAWS.

It sometimes works.

I’ve only been using jAWS 2018 for about a week, but I noticed the oCR is much improved from JAWS 18. It’s still not of a high standard, but I can get intelligible text from an image at least some of the time.

Of course, a lot of things can interfere with oCR. The other day someone posted an image of a vintage horror/sci-fi movie on facebook. I did the usual oCR trick and ended up with something like “vewiuroapeiy v b r mst r 0”

From: ely.r@...
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
CC:
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:25 am

[...]

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Groups.io Links:
View/Reply Online (#1700) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

http://www.jaws-users.com/help/

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Gerald Levy

This "I am not a robot" check box is not always accessible with JAWS. Sometimes, when you hit the Space bar to check it, JAWS does not announce that it has been checked, and there is no way to determine whether it is actually checked or unchecked. And sometimes, no matter what you do- hit the space bar or enter key or perform a mouse click, you cannot check this box, and so, this alternative can be just as frustrating as an unsolvable captcha.

Gerald

[...]

Andy

checking the box rarely does anything for me.  I still am asked to solve the CAPTCHA.

Andy

[...]

That’s interesting I just now saw this e-mail, because I was just on a site where the checkbox would not check for me either.

Judy

[...]

You're right, I just got off a site like that.

Judy

[...]

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe
[sonshines59@...]

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Karim Lakhani

When signing to the micro soft web site and using the  CAPTCHA  method is workable, it gives you words that you can type in and they don't have to be in the exact order but the words can be played back more then once.
Why don't other web sites use this method?
I'm not a great Braille reader, but I would think those words would be translated into Braille?
Thanks!

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

I let them know when it is a problem for me that they can do a simple math problem, like:
what is seven plus one

[...]

Quite often my screenreader does not check it.

[...]

Victor Gouveia

You people know that once you attempt to check this box, a CAPTCHA appears further down the page and you are required to solve and verify yourself before that box will remain checked, right?

I know on my computer, I have to wait a few minutes and refresh my virtual cursor with insert+escape before I see the CAPTCHA, but that's mostly because I'm working on a fifteen year-old computer. I do get an error that too many requests are being sent to the server, but that one's because I haven't switched over to the new version with Google yet.

In any case, you can register with Google and those checkboxes become checked automatically when you check them and you don't have to solve the CAPTCHA any more.

Victor

[...]

Again, I just have to ask, are you people not seeing the CAPTCHA solving thing when you attempt to check that box?  LOL.

Victor

[...]

Oh yay,
Voluntarily give Google even more data on us for their massive database.

[...]

Same here, at least today.

Judy

[...]

When I come across it when I find no audio captcha option, I usually try checking it as an only option.hoping it will do something for me.

[...]

Sometimes I attempt to check the box. JAWS indicates that the box is not checked. Sometimes the CAPTCHA comes up, but sometimes it doesn't, leaving no possibility for resolution.

Andy

[...]

supposedly if the system determines that your PC is not a bot, you should be allowed to check the box and proceed with your business.

Andy