Topics

Key label Mute

Rebecca Lineberger

Since the tab key will be silent in JAWS 2019, I decided to turn it off in my current 2018.

Muting the tab key also mutes the shift, control and alt keys.  I also muted the return or enter key.  Window-Eyes users will appreciate this configuration since these keys were all muted in Window-Eyes.

When I switched to JAWS, I left JAWS as it was since I felt it would give me confirmation in learning the different keyboard commands, but now that I’ve turned them off, I appreciate the silence.  Smile.

I just pressed alt-f7 to spell-check this message, and JAWS spoke both keys.  It does not say alt when the key is pressed alone, nor when alt is pressed with the tab key.

I imagine that if I muted the function keys, then the spell-check message would just read without any key confirmation.

Just FYI and something to play with.  Smile.

Rebecca

A mind is like a parachute.  It doesn't work if it isn't open.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

After using Jaws with Lime music notation software, I got used to hearing cursor and control keys spoken, so I turned them on in Window-eyes. After switching to Jaws, hearing the tab key spoken often helps me deduce whether Jawss or my application have crashed, especially when the title bar is not spoken.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue

Matthew Chao

Hi, Rebecca. I want to do exactly what you did. I'm a Window-Eyes user, and use JAWS kicking and screaming. I don't like all the keys spoken, and have not been able to silence them all. How do I do that in the fewest possible keystrokes? Thanks in advance.--Matthew Chao

On 9/17/2018 1:39 PM, Rebecca Lineberger wrote:
[...]

Matthew,
Press JAWS-f2.
For Run JAWS Manager.
Press s (as in Sam) twice for
Settings Center.
Press enter.
Shift tab back once and press home for default all applications, or press
control-shift-d.
In the search edit box, type
K e y b (no spaces when you type)
That should be enough of the word keyboard to display the results.
There should be five results.
Arrow down to keyboard
And press enter.
JAWS says, Keyboard, closed
Press right arrow to open it.
Arrow down to
General. Closed,
And press right arrow to open it.
Arrow down to
Manage key labels.
Press the space bar. If you press enter, it will throw you out!
Press t for tab. JAWS should tell you that the tab speaks. Tab once and
press the space bar to mute the tab key.
Press r for return and tab once and press the space bar to mute the enter
key.
I did not mute the function keys but you can arrow through the 84 items and
mute what you choose.
It will say that the shift key speaks, but mine does not
When you’re done, tab to ok and press enter. Tab to ok again and press
enter.
I hope I’ve got all this straight! LOL.
HTH.
Rebecca

[...]

Hi, Again, Rebecca. See what I mean about too many keystrokes? Could be a lot more efficient. Thanks for the info, though. Too much noise with all those keys spoken.--Matt.

On 9/17/2018 4:06 PM, Rebecca Lineberger wrote:
[...]

Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...>

So it's your choice.  You set it to mute once and forget it with those keystrokes or you hear all the chatter all the time.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis

On 9/17/2018 4:34 PM, Matthew Chao wrote:
[...]

Instead of using the search box, you can tab to the tree view and press k for keyboard and go from there. It sounds like a lot of keystrokes, but when you're actually doing it, it's quite logical and quick.

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

I will be changing that back to having it speak.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:39 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] Key label Mute

[...]

Rose

First think I do with a new version of Jaws is go in and mute the spacebar in key labels, even though I keep key echo turned off 99% of the time when for whatever reason I want it on, can't stand to hear space all the time. Normally I type too fast to keep key echo turned on, but occasionally if I am doing something with a lot of numbers and such I do switch it to on.

[...]

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Hi,

Lets try this. Go to the settings center with JAWS+6 on the number row.
Now press ctrl+shift+D to load the default settings.
Now type manage in the search box and manage key lable show up in the results. Arrow down to manage key lables. From there you should be able to select what kkeys you want spoken and what you don't. When your done just tab to ok and press enter. HTH.

Matthew

[...]

Hi, Matt. Getting there, getting there <grin>. I used to be (and sometimes still am) a Window-Eyes user. While it hads its faults, in many ways it's much more efficient to use and change.--Matt (the other)

On 9/18/2018 4:26 PM, matthew dyer wrote:
[...]

Always more than one way to do everything. Smile. In the search box, it made sense to me to type k for keyboard or key labels. If I'd thought of m for manage key labels, it would have cut out some steps.
JAWS is not any more difficult than the Window-Eyes control panel was. W-E users knew it because we were used to it, but when I tutored someone trying to learn the W-E free version for Office, she found Window-Eyes much more complicated than JAWS.
As always, the more we know about the programs we use, the better. Smile.
Rebecca

[...]

Bob Hicks

Having used both WE and JFW, I can see the strengths of both. It is whatever you get used to that works best for you.

Have a great day, 73

Bob Hicks, KC8CR