Topics

please help/norton accessibility with jaws 2018?

joanne

A friend is just about demanding I use Norton as it is free with my internet service. I have used it before and found it not only inaccessible as far as not being able to read their constant pop-ups, but it keeps popping up on the Web and, again, I can't read the reason why. Please someone, anyone who's used this program recently, set one of us straight regarding this. He wants to put it on my computers and thinks Internet Essentials is dangerous. Okay so if it's so dangerous is there another accessible program you use? And if I'm wrong about Norton, can someone tell me how to set it up so it just runs in the background and stops popping up and not allowing me to read what's on the screen? Using Windows 7 and Jaws 2018.

I appreciate your help.

Joanne

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I’d stay away from it and not let your friend push you around.

I can’t say it’s totally inaccessible because I haven’t really messed with it since the days of DOS, but I don’t know anyone who has good experience with it, blind or sighted.

Windows 7 users can now use Windows Defender just as Windows 10 users can. Unless you’re trawling around in some really sketchy corners of the web, this seems to be ok for most people. I would get MalwareBytes in combination with that, and don’t run it as a background malware scanner, but use it to scan your system on demand when you think there is a problem. It’s saved my arse a couple of times by helping me delete unwanted registry keys, web search redirects, etc. It’s not 100% blind-guy friendly but it’s quite usable.