From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 12:50 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] How to Jump Ahead 90 days in Outlook Calendar

This may be old news for some, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I wanted to find the date 90 days forward of a day in the past. I dropped off a musical instrument for consignment sale and after 90 days, I could pick it up again if it hadn't sold.

I dropped it off on July 7 this year, and wanted to quickly determine a date 90 days ahead of that. In the Outlook calendar, I pressed Ctrl+G to open the go to date field and typed:

7/7/18 + (90 days)

and pressed Enter. Dropped right on October 5, 2018. Seems like a very useful feature of the Outlook Calendar.

I also know that entering the word today will put you at the current date, and entering 1 year will jump ahead to the date next year. typing 2 years past will drop you back two years. also using the words week, month, ago, back are useful.

LeDon

I wish I knew where there was a set of instructions for using this calendar. I don’t know how to use the calendar at all and I think that it would be very useful.  I don’t even know how to get to the darn thing. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks.

This may be old news for some, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I wanted to find the date 90 days forward of a day in the past. I dropped off a musical instrument for consignment sale and after 90 days, I could pick it up again if it hadn't sold.

I dropped it off on July 7 this year, and wanted to quickly determine a date 90 days ahead of that. In the Outlook calendar, I pressed Ctrl+G to open the go to date field and typed:

7/7/18 + (90 days)

and pressed Enter. Dropped right on October 5, 2018. Seems like a very useful feature of the Outlook Calendar.

I also know that entering the word today will put you at the current date, and entering 1 year will jump ahead to the date next year. typing 2 years past will drop you back two years. also using the words week, month, ago, back are useful.

Rebecca Lineberger

Dave, Thanks for this.  It’s hard to remember all the commands unless we use them all the time.  Smile.

These are several I use.

Alt-down arrow will take you forward a week and alt-up arrow will take you back a week.

Alt-page down will take you forward a month, and alt-page up will take you back a month.

I found the following lurking on my computer, in case anyone finds it helpful.

Rebecca

You are focused within the Outlook Calendar.

You can select one of the four views with the following keystrokes:

Alt+Control+1 moves to the Day View.

Alt+Control+2 moves to the Work Week View, usually Monday through Friday.

Alt+Control+3 moves to the Week View, usually Sunday through Saturday.

Alt+Control+4 moves to the Month View.

While in the Day, Work Week, or Week views,use the following keystrokes:

LeftArrow and RightArrow move to the previous and next days.

Press Home to move to the time slot at the start of the work day, and End to

move to the time slot at the end of the work day.

When using UpArrow to move to the previous time slot, and DownArrow to move to the next time slot within the current day,

JAWS will announce all appointments associated with that time slot.

JAWSKey+UpArrow will repeat the appointment at the current time slot.

Control+JAWSKey+D announces the currently focused date and view, and pressing the key twice quickly announces the current date range, when in Week or Work

Week views.

While in the Month View, use LeftArrow and RightArrow to move between days, UpArrow and DownArrow to move through weeks.

In all views:

JAWSKey+A announces a summary of appointments and events within the current date or date range; pressing that key twice quickly places all the data for

the current range into the virtual viewer.

When you move to a new date or date range, JAWS will announce if appointments exist within that range.  If in Day view, the appointment count will be announced

for that day; if in Week or Month views, the appointment count will be for the current view's entire range.

If you type characters here, you will change focus to an edit box where you can make a note at the current time slot.

To hear the next appointment on the current day, press Tab.  Press this key again to hear subsequent appointments.

To hear the prior appointment on the current day, press Shift+Tab.

To exit an appointment field, either continue pressing one of these keys

or press UpArrow or DownArrow, and the current calendar view will return.

These appointments are read-only edit boxes in which you cannot use standard editing and movement keys to navigate the text.

Pressing Enter OR NumPadEnter while within one of these fields will take you to the Notes field of the current appointment.

Pressing JAWSKey+Tab repeats the current appointment; pressing the key twice quickly places the appointment's data into the virtual viewer.

In the new appointment dialog, save  the appointment by pressing Control+S.

to both save and close the appointment, press Alt+S.

This may be old news for some, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I wanted to find the date 90 days forward of a day in the past. I dropped off a musical instrument for consignment sale and after 90 days, I could pick it up again if it hadn't sold.

I dropped it off on July 7 this year, and wanted to quickly determine a date 90 days ahead of that. In the Outlook calendar, I pressed Ctrl+G to open the go to date field and typed:

7/7/18 + (90 days)

and pressed Enter. Dropped right on October 5, 2018. Seems like a very useful feature of the Outlook Calendar.

I also know that entering the word today will put you at the current date, and entering 1 year will jump ahead to the date next year. typing 2 years past will drop you back two years. also using the words week, month, ago, back are useful.

Dave...

Rebecca,

Yes I believe those are JAWS navigational keystrokes for using the Outlook Calendar. The tips I gave are inherent to Outlook Calendar and not dependent on JAWS.

Dave

This may be old news for some, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

I wanted to find the date 90 days forward of a day in the past. I dropped off a musical instrument for consignment sale and after 90 days, I could pick it up again if it hadn't sold.

I dropped it off on July 7 this year, and wanted to quickly determine a date 90 days ahead of that. In the Outlook calendar, I pressed Ctrl+G to open the go to date field and typed:

7/7/18 + (90 days)

and pressed Enter. Dropped right on October 5, 2018. Seems like a very useful feature of the Outlook Calendar.

I also know that entering the word today will put you at the current date, and entering 1 year will jump ahead to the date next year. typing 2 years past will drop you back two years. also using the words week, month, ago, back are useful.

Rebecca Lineberger

Yes, some of the ones were for JAWS but not all, like the alt- up and down arrows and the alt-page up and down..

Here are some more for you—not JAWS commands, but Windows commands.

I’m using 2010 and had these on my computer.  At the end I’ll paste a link for commands for 2016 and 365, though many of the commands may stay the same..

To do this

Press

Create an appointment (when in Calendar).

CTRL+N

Create an appointment (in any Outlook view).

CTRL+SHIFT+A

Create a meeting request.

CTRL+SHIFT+Q

Forward an appointment or meeting.

CTRL+F

Reply to a meeting request with a message.

CTRL+R

CTRL+SHIFT+R

Show 10 days in the calendar.

ALT+0

Show 1 day in the calendar.

ALT+1

Show 2 days in the calendar.

ALT+2

Show 3 days in the calendar.

ALT+3

Show 4 days in the calendar.

ALT+4

Show 5 days in the calendar.

ALT+5

Show 6 days in the calendar.

ALT+6

Show 7 days in the calendar.

ALT+7

Show 8 days in the calendar.

ALT+8

Show 9 days in the calendar.

ALT+9

Go to a date.

CTRL+G

Switch to Month view.

ALT+= or CTRL+ALT+4

Go to the next day.

CTRL+RIGHT ARROW

Go to the next week.

ALT+DOWN ARROW

Go to the next month.

ALT+PAGE DOWN

Go to the previous day.

CTRL+LEFT ARROW

Go to the previous week.

ALT+UP ARROW

Go to the previous month.

ALT+PAGE UP

Go to the start of the week.

ALT+HOME

Go to the end of the week.

ALT+END

Switch to Full Week view.

ALT+MINUS SIGN or CTRL+ALT+3

Switch to Work Week view.

CTRL+ALT+2

Go to previous appointment.

CTRL+COMMA or CTRL+SHIFT+COMMA

Go to next appointment.

CTRL+PERIOD or CTRL+SHIFT+PERIOD

Set up recurrence for an open appointment or meeting.

CTRL+G

Here’s a link to the Microsoft page.

Applies To: Outlook for Office 365,Outlook 2016

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/keyboard-shortcuts-for-navigating-the-calendar-in-outlook-429add7b-6873-45af-a529-c176997d8152

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Rebecca,

My primary method is to use Control G for a Go To command.  A dialog pops up and you can either type a specific date or write something like “90 days from today”, which turns out to be November 13.  Even when creating an appointment, you can type something like “2 weeks from 9/1” and the calendar will jump to September 15.

I use Outlook 2016 extensively, so would be happy to help.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Rebecca Lineberger

Yes, Windows recognizes human terms in the calendar just as it does in File Explorer searches.  And as usual, Windows has given us many ways to do the same thing. We do what we remember, or what is faster or easier for our fingers.  Smile.  For me, pressing alt-down arrow, or alt-page down is faster than control-g and typing 1 week or 1 month. Even if I want to go six months out, pressing alt-page down six times rapidly is still faster.  Whatever works.  All the other commands are available in the tables Microsoft provides—“to do this, press this,” format.