Topics

New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

patti

Ok this is what I do.

I have windows10, jaws18, and MS 2010, but it might work on MS 2016.

Excel Row and Column Title Reading

1, be in the cell roll you want it to be read, like A1

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

4, arrow down to title reading

5, arrow down one time to, Define Name Column and Row Titles off

6, press the space bar until you hear current file

7, arrow down two times to title reading detection off

8, press the space bar

A, the first choice is read the column

B, read the row

C, read both

9, after you make your choice then press enter twice

Then it will go back to the work sheet

I hope this works for you.

Patti

Hi Patty,

I want to hear the column headings that are placed in row 1, columns A through whatever, regardless of where my cursor is located in the spreadsheet.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of patti
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 12:52 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headins and row titles

HiAlan,

Do you want to hear the title of a column as you go across the excel sheet, or go down?

Patti

Hi List,

I'm transitioning from an older version of ZoomText Magnifier/Reader to Fusion 2018 very soon. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about JAWS keyboard shortcuts, or hotkeys, or keystrokes or whatever you might call them. I just read through the 30-page JAWS 2018 keystrokes guide but could not find what I'm looking for. I know at one point in the past, JAWS had a keystroke that would read the Excel column heading of the text located in row 1 of that column regardless of where your cursor was located in the spreadsheet. By the same token, it also had a keystroke that would read the text located in column A that was the row title regardless of the column your cursor was located in. These keystrokes were very helpful since you could quickly understand your position based on row title and column heading name with a quick keystroke.

Can someone confirm that I'm not imagining that these keyboard shortcuts used to exist in JAWS? Can anyone tell me how I might resurrect them or accomplish what I'm wanting to do by customizing some keystroke sugstitute?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Alan Robbins

Just a FYI, This does work in Office 2016 as this is the way I’ve done it for years.

Al

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of patti
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

Ok this is what I do.

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

8, press the space bar

B, read the row

C, read both

Patti

Hi Patty,

I want to hear the column headings that are placed in row 1, columns A through whatever, regardless of where my cursor is located in the spreadsheet.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of patti
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headins and row titles

HiAlan,

Do you want to hear the title of a column as you go across the excel sheet, or go down?

Patti

Hi List,

I'm transitioning from an older version of ZoomText Magnifier/Reader to Fusion 2018 very soon. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about JAWS keyboard shortcuts, or hotkeys, or keystrokes or whatever you might call them. I just read through the 30-page JAWS 2018 keystrokes guide but could not find what I'm looking for. I know at one point in the past, JAWS had a keystroke that would read the Excel column heading of the text located in row 1 of that column regardless of where your cursor was located in the spreadsheet. By the same token, it also had a keystroke that would read the text located in column A that was the row title regardless of the column your cursor was located in. These keystrokes were very helpful since you could quickly understand your position based on row title and column heading name with a quick keystroke.

Can someone confirm that I'm not imagining that these keyboard shortcuts used to exist in JAWS? Can anyone tell me how I might resurrect them or accomplish what I'm wanting to do by customizing some keystroke sugstitute?

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

patti

So is this not what you wanted? Smiles

Just a FYI, This does work in Office 2016 as this is the way I’ve done it for years.

Al

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

Ok this is what I do.

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

8, press the space bar

B, read the row

C, read both

Patti

Hi Patty,

Alan Lemly

HiAlan,

Patti

Hi List,

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Hi Patti,

I'm not sure if this is what I wanted or not. To be honest, I just got through installing ZoomText Fusion 2018 and I'm transitioning from the old ZoomText Magnifier/Reader version 10.1 and I haven't had a chance to check Excel yet. Actually, I'm sort of foundering since all the shortcut keys I had previously memorized don't work anymore and I'm trying to learn their equivalents in Fusion/JAWS.

I'll post back after I check what y'all have been so nice to share and let you know if it does what I needed.

Thanks for all the help.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:44 PM

So is this not what you wanted? Smiles

Al

Ok this is what I do.

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

8, press the space bar

B, read the row

C, read both

Patti

Hi Patty,

Alan Lemly

HiAlan,

Patti

Hi List,

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ann Byrne

In the JAWS training materials under the help menu, there are instructions for teaching JAWS to read row and column titles using the bookmark feature of Excel itself. Setting the titles via this feature means that if you copy the workbook, or do save-as to create a new workbook, the settings come along. If you use the insert+ctrl+alt+r or c, you create a separate JAWS file which does not move to another copy of the workbook. So if you email it to your accountant, or she emails it to you, the settings stay in the creator's JAWS; whereas if you use the bookmark feature, the settings come along.

Hi Patti,

Thanks so much for these detailed instructions about row and column title reading. I guess things have gotten a lot more complicated from when I was first exposed to JAWS and Excel probably when I was still running Excel 2003 and using ZoomText with my remaining vision. I'm now running Excel 2010 which is what I believe you said you were running and I'm using ZoomText Fusion 2018 and trying to learn the JAWS keystrokes or what I'll call hotkeys. I admit that I probably am not following all your instructions below because having to do 8 or more steps to get column headings or row titles spoken seems a bit much. I'm thinking some of the steps below may only be settings that have to be done only once but I'm not positive of that. Back when I first downloaded a list of JAWS Excel keystrokes for Excel 2003 and the current version of JAWS at the time, you could press alt + 1 and JAWS would speak the current column first cell from the top. This worked great if the column headings were in row 1 as mine usually are.

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm new to JAWS and am trying to learn my way. I really want to get proficient with it especially with Excel 2010 so I'll get busy climbing the learning curve.

Thanks again for your help and if you have any further suggestions after my comments above, I'd welcome them. I'd even consider defining my own hotkey to do as the alt 1 keystroke mentioned above used to do if such a thing is possible.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 6:01 PM

Ok this is what I do.

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

8, press the space bar

B, read the row

C, read both

Patti

Hi Patty,

Alan Lemly

HiAlan,

Patti

Hi List,

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

patti

Hi Alan,

Maybe you want this

Shortcut to a cell

You need to be on the cell  that you are putting the shortcut on, then press

Insert shift 1

That will put a short cut to this cell

Then you can be anywhere on the sheet, and you can press

Alt shift 1

To hear what is in that cell.

If you want to do more than one cell

Go to the cell that you want to put another shortcut on

Then press insert, shift 2

You can use the numbers

Insert shift 1 through 0

To get to the shortcut cell

Alt shift 1

To get to the others

Alt shift 1 through 0

I use this all the time for my check books.

Patti

Hi Patti,

Thanks so much for these detailed instructions about row and column title reading. I guess things have gotten a lot more complicated from when I was first exposed to JAWS and Excel probably when I was still running Excel 2003 and using ZoomText with my remaining vision. I'm now running Excel 2010 which is what I believe you said you were running and I'm using ZoomText Fusion 2018 and trying to learn the JAWS keystrokes or what I'll call hotkeys. I admit that I probably am not following all your instructions below because having to do 8 or more steps to get column headings or row titles spoken seems a bit much. I'm thinking some of the steps below may only be settings that have to be done only once but I'm not positive of that. Back when I first downloaded a list of JAWS Excel keystrokes for Excel 2003 and the current version of JAWS at the time, you could press alt + 1 and JAWS would speak the current column first cell from the top. This worked great if the column headings were in row 1 as mine usually are.

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm new to JAWS and am trying to learn my way. I really want to get proficient with it especially with Excel 2010 so I'll get busy climbing the learning curve.

Thanks again for your help and if you have any further suggestions after my comments above, I'd welcome them. I'd even consider defining my own hotkey to do as the alt 1 keystroke mentioned above used to do if such a thing is possible.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 6:01 PM

Ok this is what I do.

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

8, press the space bar

B, read the row

C, read both

Patti

Hi Patty,

Alan Lemly

HiAlan,

Patti

Hi List,

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Hi Ann and List,

This has been a long and somewhat tortuous experience so I thought I should
post what finally worked best for me.

I appreciate all those who posted to this thread and I apologize if I didn't
get some of your suggestions. Like anything with computers, we often have
multiple ways to achieve the same thing and we must pick the one that works
best for us.

I ultimately settled on placing the cursor in my Excel sheets in cell A1
where the row names and cell columns intersect for the majority of my
spreadsheets. This is the cell below which are the the titles of the rows I
want spoken when moving through the sheet and to the right are the column
headings I want spoken. I then press Insert + ctrl + alt + C and JAWS
speaks setting column titles row range. I follow this with Insert + ctrl +
alt + R and JAWS speaks Setting row titles column range. I believe VFO Tech
Support or someone on this list posted these keystrokes but I missed the
necessity of having my cell cursor in the cell where the column headings and
row titles intersected. After reading the Excel Column and Row Headers for
JAWS and Magic tutorial in the FS Reader today, the necessity of this step
became apparent. Well, actually, an excellent VGO JAWS Tech Support rep
named Bill made the necessity of this step clear. Now when I move my cursor
throughout the spreadsheet, JAWS speaks the column title as I move into a
different column and the Row title when I move to a different row.

I understand that the above method doesn't transfer with the Excel sheet to
keep it accessible when sharing with another screen reader user. However,
this seldom happens with me so shouldn't be a problem. But speaking of that,
I'm hoping others can post back about what Ann calls saving row and column
title bookmarks and what I prefer to call saved range names to transport
this ability with the spreadsheet. I followed what the FS Reader tutorial
stated about saving a range name for the column headings and row titles to
be spoken but I never could get it to work either in the practice
spreadsheet or in any of my own. I understand the naming convention of Title
followed by a period followed by the range of cells to be included in the
area where you want column headings and row titles spoken. However, after
defining this Title range, I never heard JAWS speak the column headings or
row titles as I arrowed through that range as it did with the Insert + ctrl
+ alt hotkeys previously discussed. Can someone test that this really does
work and maybe give me the exact steps you do to make it work?

Thanks for your patience and for your help with this process.

Alan Lemly

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf
Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes
to read column headings and row titles

In the JAWS training materials under the help menu, there are instructions
for teaching JAWS to read row and column titles using the bookmark feature
of Excel itself. Setting the titles via this feature means that if you copy
the workbook, or do save-as to create a new workbook, the settings come
along. If you use the
insert+ctrl+alt+r or c, you create a separate JAWS file which does
not move to another copy of the workbook. So if you email it to your
accountant, or she emails it to you, the settings stay in the creator's
JAWS; whereas if you use the bookmark feature, the settings come along.

Ann Byrne

Hurray for a solution!

One instruction that *i always forget to mention, not included in the JAWS training materials, is that for the Excel bookmark commands to work you have to go into quick settings with insert+v, to title reading, and be sure to turn off
Define Name Column and Row Titles Override

Often The bookmark settings doesn't react instantly. You have to alt+tab away and alt+tab back before it works.

go figure!

I do use it a lot, now that I know the tricks.

Ann

At 06:26 PM 8/28/2018, you wrote:
Hi Ann and List,

This has been a long and somewhat tortuous experience so I thought I should
post what finally worked best for me.

I appreciate all those who posted to this thread and I apologize if I didn't
get some of your suggestions. Like anything with computers, we often have
multiple ways to achieve the same thing and we must pick the one that works
best for us.

I ultimately settled on placing the cursor in my Excel sheets in cell A1
where the row names and cell columns intersect for the majority of my
spreadsheets. This is the cell below which are the the titles of the rows I
want spoken when moving through the sheet and to the right are the column
headings I want spoken. I then press Insert + ctrl + alt + C and JAWS
speaks setting column titles row range. I follow this with Insert + ctrl +
alt + R and JAWS speaks Setting row titles column range. I believe VFO Tech
Support or someone on this list posted these keystrokes but I missed the
necessity of having my cell cursor in the cell where the column headings and
row titles intersected. After reading the Excel Column and Row Headers for
JAWS and Magic tutorial in the FS Reader today, the necessity of this step
became apparent. Well, actually, an excellent VGO JAWS Tech Support rep
named Bill made the necessity of this step clear. Now when I move my cursor
throughout the spreadsheet, JAWS speaks the column title as I move into a
different column and the Row title when I move to a different row.

I understand that the above method doesn't transfer with the Excel sheet to
keep it accessible when sharing with another screen reader user. However,
this seldom happens with me so shouldn't be a problem. But speaking of that,
I'm hoping others can post back about what Ann calls saving row and column
title bookmarks and what I prefer to call saved range names to transport
this ability with the spreadsheet. I followed what the FS Reader tutorial
stated about saving a range name for the column headings and row titles to
be spoken but I never could get it to work either in the practice
spreadsheet or in any of my own. I understand the naming convention of Title
followed by a period followed by the range of cells to be included in the
area where you want column headings and row titles spoken. However, after
defining this Title range, I never heard JAWS speak the column headings or
row titles as I arrowed through that range as it did with the Insert + ctrl
+ alt hotkeys previously discussed. Can someone test that this really does

Alan Lemly

Of Ann Byrne

In the JAWS training materials under the help menu, there are instructions
for teaching JAWS to read row and column titles using the bookmark feature
of Excel itself. Setting the titles via this feature means that if you copy
the workbook, or do save-as to create a new workbook, the settings come
along. If you use the

Ann,

Thanks so much for providing the below additional info. I was feeling sort
of stupid that I couldn't get the titles to read as explained in the JAWS
training materials until you confirmed that they forgot to mention the
all-important step of turning off Define Name Column and row titles override
in the quick settings Title Reading group. Now that I have turned that off,
will that setting carry forward to all spreadsheets or do I have to set it
for each? I suspect that turning that override off causes the hotkey of
Insert + ctrl + alt + either C or R to no longer work?

Thanks for helping me drill down into these deeper JAWS settings within
Excel. Do you know of a document or tutorial that discusses these quick
settings in more detail?

I very much appreciate all the help.

Alan Lemly

Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:52 PM

Hurray for a solution!

One instruction that *i always forget to mention, not included in the JAWS
training materials, is that for the Excel bookmark commands to work you have
to go into quick settings with insert+v, to title reading, and be sure to
turn off Define Name Column and Row Titles Override

Often The bookmark settings doesn't react instantly. You have to
alt+tab away and alt+tab back before it works.

go figure!

Ann

Hi Ann and List,

This has been a long and somewhat tortuous experience so I thought I
should post what finally worked best for me.

I appreciate all those who posted to this thread and I apologize if I
didn't get some of your suggestions. Like anything with computers, we
often have multiple ways to achieve the same thing and we must pick the
one that works best for us.

I ultimately settled on placing the cursor in my Excel sheets in cell
A1 where the row names and cell columns intersect for the majority of
my spreadsheets. This is the cell below which are the the titles of the
rows I want spoken when moving through the sheet and to the right are
the column headings I want spoken. I then press Insert + ctrl + alt +
C and JAWS speaks setting column titles row range. I follow this with
Insert + ctrl + alt + R and JAWS speaks Setting row titles column
range. I believe VFO Tech Support or someone on this list posted these
keystrokes but I missed the necessity of having my cell cursor in the
cell where the column headings and row titles intersected. After
reading the Excel Column and Row Headers for JAWS and Magic tutorial in
the FS Reader today, the necessity of this step became apparent. Well,
actually, an excellent VGO JAWS Tech Support rep named Bill made the
necessity of this step clear. Now when I move my cursor throughout the
spreadsheet, JAWS speaks the column title as I move into a different column
and the Row title when I move to a different row.

I understand that the above method doesn't transfer with the Excel
sheet to keep it accessible when sharing with another screen reader
user. However, this seldom happens with me so shouldn't be a problem.
But speaking of that, I'm hoping others can post back about what Ann
calls saving row and column title bookmarks and what I prefer to call
saved range names to transport this ability with the spreadsheet. I
followed what the FS Reader tutorial stated about saving a range name
for the column headings and row titles to be spoken but I never could
get it to work either in the practice spreadsheet or in any of my own.
I understand the naming convention of Title followed by a period
followed by the range of cells to be included in the area where you
want column headings and row titles spoken. However, after defining
this Title range, I never heard JAWS speak the column headings or row
titles as I arrowed through that range as it did with the Insert + ctrl
+ alt hotkeys previously discussed. Can someone test that this really
+ does

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On
Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for
keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

In the JAWS training materials under the help menu, there are
instructions for teaching JAWS to read row and column titles using the
bookmark feature of Excel itself. Setting the titles via this feature
means that if you copy the workbook, or do save-as to create a new
workbook, the settings come along. If you use the

Jim Pursley

Absolutely brilliant.  I've had Office 2016 for about a month and felt really smug (this time) that I'd know what I was doing in Excel and Outlook  But try as I might, I'm getting inconsistent performance using the define name function (accessed more easily from the right mouse key).  Such a grievous fault, and grievously hath I answered it - until this note.  I was getting ready to call Microsoft Accessibility but - ha - the issue was a JAWS one.  Too bad tech support wasn't aware of the omission.

I'll turn off the title options in Quick Settings - let's see what that does.

JAWS users ride again!

On 8/29/2018 2:04 AM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Ann,

Thanks so much for providing the below additional info. I was feeling sort
of stupid that I couldn't get the titles to read as explained in the JAWS
training materials until you confirmed that they forgot to mention the
all-important step of turning off Define Name Column and row titles override
in the quick settings Title Reading group. Now that I have turned that off,
will that setting carry forward to all spreadsheets or do I have to set it
for each? I suspect that turning that override off causes the hotkey of
Insert + ctrl + alt + either C or R to no longer work?

Thanks for helping me drill down into these deeper JAWS settings within
Excel. Do you know of a document or tutorial that discusses these quick
settings in more detail?

I very much appreciate all the help.

Alan Lemly

Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:52 PM

Hurray for a solution!

One instruction that *i always forget to mention, not included in the JAWS
training materials, is that for the Excel bookmark commands to work you have
to go into quick settings with insert+v, to title reading, and be sure to
turn off Define Name Column and Row Titles Override

Often The bookmark settings doesn't react instantly.  You have to 
alt+tab away and alt+tab back before it works.

go figure!

Ann

Hi Ann and List,

This has been a long and somewhat tortuous experience so I thought I 
should post what finally worked best for me.

I appreciate all those who posted to this thread and I apologize if I 
didn't get some of your suggestions. Like anything with computers, we 
often have multiple ways to achieve the same thing and we must pick the 
one that works best for us.

I ultimately settled on placing the cursor in my Excel sheets in cell 
A1 where the row names and cell columns intersect for the majority of 
my spreadsheets. This is the cell below which are the the titles of the 
rows I want spoken when moving through the sheet and to the right are 
the column headings I want spoken.  I then press Insert + ctrl + alt + 
C  and JAWS speaks setting column titles row range. I follow this with 
Insert + ctrl + alt + R and JAWS speaks Setting row titles column 
range. I believe VFO Tech Support or someone on this list posted these 
keystrokes but I missed the necessity of having my cell cursor in the 
cell where the column headings and row titles intersected. After 
reading the Excel Column and Row Headers for JAWS and Magic tutorial in 
the FS Reader today, the necessity of this step became apparent. Well, 
actually, an excellent VGO JAWS Tech Support rep named Bill made the 
necessity of this step clear. Now when I move my cursor throughout the 
spreadsheet, JAWS speaks the column title as I move into a different column
and the Row title when I move to a different row.
I understand that the above method doesn't transfer with the Excel 
sheet to keep it accessible when sharing with another screen reader 
user. However, this seldom happens with me so shouldn't be a problem. 
But speaking of that, I'm hoping others can post back about what Ann 
calls saving row and column title bookmarks and what I prefer to call 
saved range names to transport this ability with the spreadsheet. I 
followed what the FS Reader tutorial stated about saving a range name 
for the column headings and row titles to be spoken but I never could 
get it to work either in the practice spreadsheet or in any of my own. 
I understand the naming convention of Title followed by a period 
followed by the range of cells to be included in the area where you 
want column headings and row titles spoken. However, after defining 
this Title range, I never heard JAWS speak the column headings or row 
titles as I arrowed through that range as it did with the Insert + ctrl
+ alt hotkeys previously discussed. Can someone test that this really 
+ does

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On 
Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for 
keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

In the JAWS training materials under the help menu, there are 
instructions for teaching JAWS to read row and column titles using the 
bookmark feature of Excel itself.  Setting the titles via this feature 
means that if you copy the workbook, or do save-as to create a new 
workbook, the settings come along.  If you use the
not move to another copy of the workbook.  So if you email it to your