Other Keys for Closing Documents and Outlook

Michelle Clark

Hello,

At work, I am using Windows and JAWS 2018 . Due to a special script, which is turning out not to be so special, I cannot use Alt, F4 to close many windows. Can anyone give me another manner in which to close these things?

I found it at one point but did not document it as I thought I would remember, however, age does some tricks on some people. I appreciate any help I can get so I can stop doing forced system swhen I have too many opened windows.

Thanks,

Michelle

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey.

Ctrl-f4 will work for tabs, and “sub-windows”. It won’t close the programme but will close whatever page or document you have open. This works in mS Word, so it might for outlook as well. It also works in most (all?) web browsers, programmes, that have a tab structure, etc.

Otherwise, your best bet is to close a programme using its menus. Sometimes it’s as simple as pressing alt-f, x. This will work in outlook. This is usually a more surefire way to close a programme if the option is available, because some programmes stay running even if you use alt-f4, they just don’t have a window on the screen. An example is the torrent programme I use.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michelle Clark via Groups.Io
Sent: July 26, 2018 6:33 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Other Keys for Closing Documents and Outlook

Hello,

At work, I am using Windows and JAWS 2018 . Due to a special script, which is turning out not to be so special, I cannot use Alt, F4 to close many windows. Can anyone give me another manner in which to close these things?

I found it at one point but did not document it as I thought I would remember, however, age does some tricks on some people. I appreciate any help I can get so I can stop doing forced system swhen I have too many opened windows.

Thanks,

Michelle

Adrian Spratt

Try control-w. I just tested it in Chrome and IE, and it closed one window at a time.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michelle Clark via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:33 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Vicky Vaughan

Hello, Control+w should close the window for you.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Vicky

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Virus-free. www.avg.com

lyacks@...

Hi,

You might also try the “FN” key plus the alt plus f4. I have to use the fn key on all of my function keys because, in their infinant wisdom, HP assigned all the function keys, when pressed by themselves, to other commands. HTH. Linda Yacks

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:33 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Justin Williams

Control w, and control f4.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicky Vaughan
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:35 PM

Hello, Control+w should close the window for you.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Vicky

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Virus-free. www.avg.com

chris judge

That can easily be change by going in to bios, choosing set-up, choosing action keys and changing it so the function keys behave as we need them to as screen reader users. You will require sighted assistance as there is no speech support in the bios, but I’ve talked many people who claim to be computer illiterate through the process, and it’s quite simple. I could not tolerate having to hold the FN key every time I needed to execute a command with function keys, it would drive me batty.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of lyacks@...
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:36 PM

Hi,

You might also try the “FN” key plus the alt plus f4. I have to use the fn key on all of my function keys because, in their infinant wisdom, HP assigned all the function keys, when pressed by themselves, to other commands. HTH. Linda Yacks

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Justin Williams

When did HP do that?  I had an HP pc and that wasn’t the case.  I did, however, use a regular keyboard pluged into the labpto, though.  There is no way I’d be holding the function key everytime I needed to close a document.

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 7:29 AM

That can easily be change by going in to bios, choosing set-up, choosing action keys and changing it so the function keys behave as we need them to as screen reader users. You will require sighted assistance as there is no speech support in the bios, but I’ve talked many people who claim to be computer illiterate through the process, and it’s quite simple. I could not tolerate having to hold the FN key every time I needed to execute a command with function keys, it would drive me batty.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of lyacks@...

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

chris judge

Most of the HP laptops I’ve seen in many years are set this way. I know dell does it as well, but with dell laptops you can toggle the function key setting by holding the FN key and pressing escape. Not sure if this works for HP.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 11:44 AM

When did HP do that?  I had an HP pc and that wasn’t the case.  I did, however, use a regular keyboard pluged into the labpto, though.  There is no way I’d be holding the function key everytime I needed to close a document.

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

chris judge

It’s not only when closing a document. Say, for instance, you want to invoke the links list command, insert f7. You would have to hold the fn key, then press insert f7. Not too difficult if the good lord had had the insight to give us three hands, but such is not the case lol.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Van Lant, Robin

I havent’ found any quick toggle options for my HP Pavilion, so I think the BIOS adjustment is in my future.  At work, I am on HP laptops and the FN key is not required, so there may be a difference between business grade HP machines and home user versions. 

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 9:09 AM

Most of the HP laptops I’ve seen in many years are set this way. I know dell does it as well, but with dell laptops you can toggle the function key setting by holding the FN key and pressing escape. Not sure if this works for HP.

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

valiant8086

Hi.

Ctrl+w or ctrl+f4 will usually close something, though my not end up fully closing applications ctrl+w and ctrl+f4 are closing individual windows of an application, if the application still runs with no documents open then it won't close. These do work for closing explorer windows and closing out web browsers though so that's a big help. I wish we knew more about what your script does and why and how it interferes with alt+f4, fn it's just the fn for function key normal functions thing. If that's the case you have an fn key, and holding that while you hit alt+f4 should work, and that gives enough knowledge about the situation to try and hunt a solution. If it's a lenovo there will be an accessible way to fix it, dell there may be also, hp will require adjustments in the bios. If it's an external keyboard like logitech k380 bluetooth the driver may have an option to change it logitech k380 does, for instance.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>
On 7/27/2018 10:43 AM, Justin Williams wrote:

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Van Lant, Robin

Oh, and I will add that there are many times where the FN key isn’t required, but I can’t figure out the rhyme or reason.  For example, I can be in some situations where Shift F10 opens the context menu and other on the same laptop where it will require me to add the FN key to invoke the context menu.   What’s most challenging for me is that I often forget the FN key when I do a particular JAWS command and end up turning off my wireless connection,  

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 9:11 AM

It’s not only when closing a document. Say, for instance, you want to invoke the links list command, insert f7. You would have to hold the fn key, then press insert f7. Not too difficult if the good lord had had the insight to give us three hands, but such is not the case lol.

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

There should be some way, possibly in bios, which would require sighted assistance, to fix the function keys so that they always have the function of – function keys. You should investigate this to make your life easier.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: July 27, 2018 11:17 AM

Oh, and I will add that there are many times where the FN key isn’t required, but I can’t figure out the rhyme or reason.  For example, I can be in some situations where Shift F10 opens the context menu and other on the same laptop where it will require me to add the FN key to invoke the context menu.   What’s most challenging for me is that I often forget the FN key when I do a particular JAWS command and end up turning off my wireless connection,  

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

lyacks@...

I tried that and it didn’t work for hp. Thanks anyway. I know someone with a del that I can share this with.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 10:09 AM

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

chris judge

Yes, it’s quite simple to do with a bit of sighted help.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: July 27, 2018 2:08 PM

There should be some way, possibly in bios, which would require sighted assistance, to fix the function keys so that they always have the function of – function keys. You should investigate this to make your life easier.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: July 27, 2018 11:17 AM

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

chris judge

It doesn’t work with lanovo either. Dell seems to be the only one that has this option.

Sent: July 27, 2018 5:08 PM

I tried that and it didn’t work for hp. Thanks anyway. I know someone with a del that I can share this with.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 10:09 AM

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle

Steve

They've done that for several years, on many of their laptop models. 

You circumvented it by using a separate keyboard. 
Otherwise, as mentioned, there is a way to go into the bias and change the function key to their normal functions, and use the function key modifier to do the ancillary things like turn display brightness up and down, increase and decrease volume, turn on a secdond monitor, etc.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 10:43 AM

Justin

Hi,

Hello,

Thanks,

Michelle